Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #1

Remote Generator Switch?

Hi All,
I am a new owner of a 1990 Thor Ind. Pinnacle, 28 ft.
Everything seems to work alright. Had to fix some leaks and do some caulking but all in all not to bad. Some electrical problems and a couple plumbing fixes from freezing. The one thing I can NOT find is the remote generator switch in the rv. I had to put a new board in the generator. It runs great when I start it at the generator with the switch there but I just can't seem to find the remote switch. Tried all the buttons on the dash.
Other than that I have to fill propane and then see if the gas appliances work alright and that's it for this year.
Hope to go to Ballon Fiesta in Albq this year then to Sout Carolina then to West Virginia then back home to ILl before it gets too cold.
Hope someone knows where that switch is.
Thanks,
Doug
pinebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
the switch that controls the remote start will be a center on switch. Any switch you find that is not center on. (you can push the top and bottom in.)
is not it. Did you plug the remote plug back into the board after you installed it?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #3

Yes sir. I changed oil and filter today and plugged in the remote plug and then tried all the switches on the dash. Nothing worked. There is a kill switch under the dash and I tried the switches both on and off.
Would it be located somewhere else like in a cabinet or something?
Doug
Old 09-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It could possibly be anywhere.
My knight has one on the dash, and a second on the main systems panel in the hall by the bathroom.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Do you actually have a 'remote connection'? Should have been a plug with 4 wires on the right hand side of the board.. (brown, blue, red, black I believe)
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinebear View Post
Yes sir. I changed oil and filter today and plugged in the remote plug and then tried all the switches on the dash. Nothing worked. There is a kill switch under the dash and I tried the switches both on and off.
Would it be located somewhere else like in a cabinet or something?
Doug
The two most popular places are close to the kitchen sink and close to the panel that has all the liquid quantities for the holding tanks.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #7

There is a connector for the remote switch.
It is plugged in.
There are a couple rockers on the dash.
And one switch has a lightening bolt on it.
Tried them all and in different combinations. Nothing worked there.
The panel for the drain tanks and the water pump and the propane tank and water heater are above the stove.
Have not seen a switch for generator there.
I will check out the cabs under and above the sink area.
Just filoled the propane and all works, water heater and stove.
With putting a new board and selenoid in the generator I would assume the remote switch would work if I could find it or else the switch is bad if it is on the dash.
Doug
Old 09-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The Lightning Bolt one is it.. Should be a spring loaded center switch... What it does is connect Ground to the genset's control board... One side to start, the other to stop.. Check the continuity of the wires and switch.. you'll need to pull the dash, at least a little.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #9

I'll check it tomorrow.
Thanks,
Doug
Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #10

Hey Midniteoyl, Thanks for the link to the VA benefits.
All the info one can get on these issues helps.
I am 100 % Service connected and have over a 100 % rating.
First and foremost, I am a lung cancer survivor. I mean I AM CURED. I have been cancer free for 11 years. Had chemo and surgery in 2003. The Mpls. VA saved my life along with God.
I have other issues that contribute to the 100 % rating.
1965-1966 VietNam Veteran. Served in the army as a radio teletype operator with Crypto experience in Bien Hoa and Tay Ninh and Xuan Loc. Mostly was TDY supporting other groups. Left saigon on my 20th birthday on Continental airlines. Served us champagne when we cleared Vietnam Airspace. Never was so glad to leave a place in my life.
Enough said.
Thanks Again,
Take Care,
Doug
Will let you know about the switch.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Hey congrats! Glad you pulled though...
Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #12

Have not got to the lightening bolt switch yet. Was gone for a few days.
Also the Thetford Aqua Magic Starlite toilet in the Rv started running water all the time so I assume the water valve is stuck open. Have to order a new kit for that but I have no clue as to how get at it. Gues I have to take the toilet out. Also the speedometer does not work. Gues I will have to disconnect the cable and check it out to see if it spins on both ends. Will have a busy week or so ahead of me.
Thanks to all for there help.
Doug
Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #13

Finally got the switchs out of the dash. Now What??? Check for voltage or continuity or what?
Click image for larger version

Name:	switchs1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	13671

Click image for larger version

Name:	switches2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	13672
Old 12-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #14

Lightning switch

That was the gen remote switch. I had to run new wires to the remote board on the generator and all is good. Starts and runs like a top and stops.
Thanks

Tags
generator