Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #1

Removing the carpet

It time for the next mission. Has anyone remove the carpet from the Hurricane and replace it with laminate tiles? Do I need to do anything to the slide out rollers so that it won’t scratch the new floor? Does the slide have rollers?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread that should help you, read through and there will be links to someones project and other helpful hints from people.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
what is the appeal of using tiles?

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 AM   #4

I am going to use Allure Traffic Master flooring is more appealing than carpet. Better upkeep, water proof, etc.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife View Post
I am going to use Allure Traffic Master flooring is more appealing than carpet. Better upkeep, water proof, etc.
I definitely get the appeal of vinyl over carpet (I've done that job)
My Q is about tiles and all those seams.

Maybe because mine was wide open sheet seemed practical...

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife View Post

Mylife: I have the same unit as yours but as you may tell from a previous post I am behind you in my upgrades. I too am ready to make a decision on the flooring and I am not sure what to do about the slide. I have indentions and scratches where our linoleum is. This make me nervous about putting to much money into the floor until I understand why this has happened. I will have to add some pictures to show you what I mean.
u2canhave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #7

u2can: Please add the pictures I would like to see the floor
Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #8

Mylife: Here are the pictures. I discovered the damage was not all due to the slide. Where the hide-a-bed folds out and lays on the ground caused one of the substantial indentations (4th and 5th image). The other damage is located on the carpet. The third damage is a tear in the lenolium caused from the slide. Two questions for you: 1. how are you or do you need to address where the slide makes contact with the flooring when retracted inside? 2. When you use your hide-a-bed does it slant to much? I did find using the carpeted 2X4s will protect the bar from the bed. The original owner did not take care of this unit as you can see from the multiple stains in the carpet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02696.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	5193

Name:	DSC02697.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	5194

Name:	DSC02698.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	5195

Name:	DSC02699.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	5196

Name:	DSC02700.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	5197

Name:	DSC02701.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	5198

Name:	DSC02702.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	5199
Old 08-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #9

u2can: Photos #1-4 look like it happen by trying to level the RV manually while the slide was in. It happen to me when I was trying to manually level the rv, but it happen with the kitchen slide, left and right side corner. With photos #5-7 we used a long rug under the fold bed bar (leg) since day one, so no indention there. When I do start this project I will remove all rug and Laminate floor down to the wood floor. By doing this it would show me how the floor is and more space between the slide bottom and the new floor. I just finished putting a new Allure floor in the house. Good practice lol
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #10

MyLife:

Interesting theory. I dont know the answer but simply the results. I looked at the Allure but noticed the heat rating on it is limited. We live in AZ and the coach even covered reaches well beyond that limit. I spoke to some of the techs here at Home Depot and found that some of our snow bird residents took it and placed it in their homes. After returning for the winter they found that the laminate had separated due to the heat. I know not everyone has this problem, but I am reluctant to attempt this if that is the case. Either way you can see from my pics I am in desperate need of changing out my flooring. I just installed an inverter last night and we are headed out to biglake Arizona for the weekend. Yahooo!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Anyone that has issues with slides making impressions can get some thin plastic- like office chair pads-- but without the hooks. The slide will run right over those and save your floors.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #12

U2canhave1: Any update on your flooring? I got side track and replace the bedroom TV.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #13

No updates yet. I have been side tracked and not able to spend the time or money on the MH lately. We did go away this last weekend and it was really windy. My coach has never driven properly (I am moved around on the road with some cars and trucks pass me) and this trip was particularlly scary as we were in 35-55 MPH gust. In fact your post just reminded me to look at the Steer Safe product. Will post updates on the flooring - hopefully later this spring.