RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to littlevegas
Replacing ONE or both Harris Deep Cycle Batteries

I had a load test done on my batteries after just owning my 2015 Vegas 24.1 just over 1 year. I took them out after weeks of noticing the batteries wouldn't hold a charge after 2 days or even a week being hooked up to the side of my house. I believe the charging inverter is properly working, just the batteries seemed short lived. I took them out and on one battery there was a total of three dry cells so i filled them with distilled water. The other battery seemed fine and did not have any dry cells. The good battery that did not fail the Deep Cycle load test was the one that DID NOT need any water. So the load test was done at Advanced Auto Parts and the batteries came back fine with the following results.The model of the batteries are Harris 27D170 I believe and they have a 160AH reserve and of course that was double if they are paralleled?!
Good Battery: Voltage 12.58v, measured 715MCA, rated 760MCA, temp 75 degrees.
Bad Battery: Voltage: 11.77v, measured 24MCA, last two are same as above

I couple of questions, when I put them back in the MH it would not hold a charge more than 5 minutes and showed 1 and then within 30 seconds no lights on the illumination panel by the door when I pressed the button. It have a series of 4 lights where all 4 would be rated as good:-)

I did an experiment and just used the good battery solo and it seems to hold a charge longer than an hour (probably longer but I went back inside and turned off lights after knowing removing the bad battery out of the circuit helped the issue). How can that happen since they are in parrell and it will be wose off than one battery. Isn't the set of 2 still using the full power of the one that is in there now plus a tiny but of anything that can be in the bad battery.
Any tips or assistance about what I should do will be appreciated.

Does TMC have any complaints or problems with their charging converter as far as charging the batteries to fast. I contacted Harris and they immediately voided the warranty because I told them what these batteries were for and installed in. Letter stated something about the charging converter Thor used in their coaches or at least the Vegas maybe was not proper for the batteries and voided the warranty????!??!?!!

I am stumped please help

littlevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

Any time you connect batteries together , the higher charged battery will try to transfer charge to the lower charged one. If one is dead , both will be dead , in very short order.
That rapid discharge , and the resulting heat from the load damages the good battery and is the reason you should replace all the batteries in a attached group at the same time .
That being said.
You may get away with replacing just one , because you have one that's only one year old and testing fine , but you could have the same problem with your current battery drawing down any new one you install with it.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

I agree with Skip, replace both batteries. After you do, take a digital voltmeter and take voltage readings over the course of a couple of days (nothing turned on in the RV) with it connected to shore power, and the on-board charger operating. This will help confirm that the charger is not over or under charging ....which would lead to another battery faulure.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to littlevegas
and those readings should be around 13.3 or somewhere around there?? That is connected to shore power of course and the use switched on?!

ALSO ANY BATTERY RECOMMENDATIONS. INTERSTATE GOOD BRAND??
littlevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #5

Trojan Batteries are very good. The T105 is a very popular choice. It is a 6 volt battery, so you would need to purchase in pairs. 2 six volts wired in series is the same as one big 12 volt battery....just easier to handle. Wired in series, 2 of them would give you 225 Ah of capacity....if you got 4 then you would have 450 Ah of capacity.

If you have a Sams Club or Costco, many have good luck with the GC2 golf cart batteries sold there.....not as good as Trojan, but still good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1442594793.575961.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	107213
Old 09-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlevegas View Post
and those readings should be around 13.3 or somewhere around there?? That is connected to shore power of course and the use switched on?!

ALSO ANY BATTERY RECOMMENDATIONS. INTERSTATE GOOD BRAND??

Yes, 13.3 is about right. The voltage should be higher the colder the battery gets below 77F, and lower as the temperature rises above 77F. This is the "float" voltage and is only after the battery is 90-100% charged.

If the battery is less than 90% charged, the charger should be putting in about 14.4 volts or higher.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

I have both a Harris and an Interstate, both about 3 years old. The Harris died on me recently (poor maintenance I think). Interstate still doing well. However, the death of the Harris seems to have fried my solenoid or perhaps the converter. Currently have no power to the house unless connected to shore power. Wish I had seen the caution about Harris batteries and Thor converters sooner!
OlderGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will assume those are Group 27 12 volt MARINE/deep cycle batteries.

Yes, you can replace one.. When batteries are in parallel they need not be identical (This is not true of batteries in series) However as others have stated, If one shorts, it takes down the others...

That said, I've had brand new batteries (Solo) go bad in a week.. So if you want to argue "old" v/s "new" .... Stuff it.

3 failure modes for batteries
Loss of capacity (most common) won't bother others in pack
High resistance likewise won't bother others in most cases (See note)
Sort.. This one will bother others.

NOTE: If you have a charger matched to the full size of the battery bank then loss of one battery due to high resistance can cause others to re-charge more rapidly than they should. For group 27's the proper size converter is 30 amps per battery...

Finally.. Your pair of group 27's are about 100 AH each at teh 20 hour rate (Reserve capacity means nothing) .. or 200 AH total.
If you replace them BOTH, using a pair of GC-2, like the Trojan T-105.. You pay less, and you get 220 AH (A 10% increase) give or take 10 AH.
(My Dekas G-20 are 230 AH)

Finally, MARINE/deep cycle are starting, taking them down to 50% SOC is damaging DEEP CYCLE are designed to go down to 50% (Those GC-2 are DEEP CYCLE) so you get yet more usable amp hours.

They are a bit taller however.

Tags
batteries