Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
RING doorbell with camera on RV

Does anyone have a RING doorbell camera on their RV and does it work?

Please describe your setup if you have one that work.

Thanks.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shouldn't be to hard to rig up. First you have to buy a doorbell that will supply the Ring with 24VAC. That doorbell will have to be plugged into a 115VAC source. Your Ring will only work when you have AC power via inverter, generator or shore power. Mount the doorbell, drill a hole thru the side of the coach, run the wires, attach the Ring. Now you need to have a WiFI setup and pay the monthly subscription to Ring. Let us know how it works out.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:03 AM   #3
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954 View Post
Shouldn't be to hard to rig up. First you have to buy a doorbell that will supply the Ring with 24VAC. That doorbell will have to be plugged into a 115VAC source. Your Ring will only work when you have AC power via inverter, generator or shore power. Mount the doorbell, drill a hole thru the side of the coach, run the wires, attach the Ring. Now you need to have a WiFI setup and pay the monthly subscription to Ring. Let us know how it works out.
The Ring Doorbell has a rechargeable battery that lasts 6 to 12 months. No need to drill anything or run any wires. The doorbell can be mounted with double sided tape although I think securing it with screws might be a better option. I would mount it temporarily with double sided tape to see how it works before making a more permanent install

You do not need to pay for a subscription unless you want to record alerts. The app is free and you can view the doorbell for free and interact with people at no charge.

A $30 yearly subscription will allow you to record alerts.

If there is 24/7 wifi available it's quite simple to hook up.

I think the biggest obstacle is the wifi but if the OP is in a park that provides it or has wifi the Ring Doorbell is an easy thing to set up.

If I had wifi available and my rig was somewhere long term I would go with Blink cameras. They're a little pricey but they do their job quite nicely and are very easy to set up.

For home security I use hardwired cameras and a DVR but an RV is a little different.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Skype™ to mjwest
Ring doorbell

We have a ring doorbell for our RV. My biggest dilemma is how to melt. I’m not going to drill holes in the my coach for this because next year they’ll be a new and better product. But I do want to keep it where it doesn’t move around or get lost. I don’t mind putting it on and taking it off when we move from one location to the other Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw a YouTube video that talked about double-sided tape. Any thoughts on that idea?
mjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwest View Post
We have a ring doorbell for our RV. My biggest dilemma is how to melt. I’m not going to drill holes in the my coach for this because next year they’ll be a new and better product. But I do want to keep it where it doesn’t move around or get lost. I don’t mind putting it on and taking it off when we move from one location to the other Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw a YouTube video that talked about double-sided tape. Any thoughts on that idea?
I used the Scotch/3M industrial SNAP Velcro. It's not cheap but holds a lot. Walmart has it for about $3-$4 for 4 3 inch strips. I love the stuff. Much better than Velcro.

Here is a link for it at Lowes but it's sold many places including Amazon:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/scotch-2-pa...iABEgKDtvD_BwE
Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Skype™ to mjwest
Ring

Does it have any detrimental effect on the coach finish? Thanks for your response. I was also suggested to use a Command Strip.
mjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwest View Post
Does it have any detrimental effect on the coach finish? Thanks for your response. I was also suggested to use a Command Strip.
I know it does not when its on but I have yet the need to remove it so I'm not sure. Command picture things might work too.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #8

Mounting idea. I used the heavy duty plastic Velcro type stuff from Walmart to mount 2 solar light on my last 5er. One low near entry steps and one on the rear side above hookup area.
4 years up and down the highway and days of sitting in the sun, rain and even snow. Never came loose. In fact, even though it's removable, it still pretty tough to pull apart.
The strips stick to the wall with extremely sticky tape. You could remove it for storage when not traveling.
1 square inch can support 10 pounds.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, door