Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2017, 11:11 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Schwintek Full wall slide giving more problems

My Schwintek full wall slide is giving me more problems. They are thinking about changing it to the Powergear Slimrack system.

Any thoughts?
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who is "they"?

Because of the model year in your signature line...guessing you have the 2 track per side Schwintek(?).
Unfortunately, it was never up to the task of these beautiful full wall slides.

Just a suggestion - the "3Trak" is the factory's preferred fix, being a direct replcement.
The improvements are in the additional track plus a higher gear ratio and hardened drive parts.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:11 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Who is "they"?

Because of the model year in your signature line...guessing you have the 2 track per side Schwintek(?).
Unfortunately, it was never up to the task of these beautiful full wall slides.

Just a suggestion - the "3Trak" is the factory's preferred fix, being a direct replcement.
The improvements are in the additional track plus a higher gear ratio and hardened drive parts.

Best luck
Lippert is "they."
Old 08-31-2017, 12:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks

LCI (Lippert Components Inc) owns Powergear and Schwintek lines, so if they are buying the mod...hard to say no.

But knowledge is power...the PowerGear system has 2 tracks per side that are only connected at the ends and are driven with a very similar drive to Schwintek. See:
https://www.lci1.com/power-gear-slid...ide-out-system

Doesn't seem like that's a great improvement

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:06 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks. Yea, that's why I was asking. I see the difference visually in the gear on the slide out but I don't know the positives over the Schwintek system. My schwintek gears are coming off of the coach and will eventually fail.... again. Last time it was the motor.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:59 AM   #6

the main difference in the two 'systems', which seems relatively minor, though important, is the 'floating' rail... rather than the traditional rail being completely attached to the outside of the slide wall, the floating rail is only attached at both ends, leaving the majority of the track to ride away from the slide wall.

what does this do above the standard rail? it gives the builder more latitude if slides are not exactly 'square', which is hard to do, and the floating track can then stay in contact with the drive gear since the slide wall's movement, away from the gear column, does not impact the operation of the mechanism. the original systems had issues when this happened, as the gear would then 'skip' teeth on the track(or better said, the track would not move in correlation with the other slide gears, causing either 'out of sync' slide ENDS, or worse, a slide with 'out of sync' top and bottom gears, leaving one still 'out', while the other was all the way 'in').
In that situation, there is no option other than to remove the gear, re-position the slide, and reinsert the gear, but this is not a do-it-yourself project, as more than likely, the whole slide column must be removed. And, you have not solved the problem, only fixed it temporarily.

The 'triple trax' upgrade, starting with the late-2014 models, like mine, built on/after March 2014, created an additional track and gear to minimize this problem, but it is not fail-proof. Our rear column on our main slide, the lower track, popped and powed several times one day, after 25,000 miles and hundreds of uses with no problems, skipping several teeth on the bottom gear, leaving the slide bottom out about 1 to 1 1/2"s. The typical 're-syncing' operation will not solve this issue, it must be repaired/replaced.

With the newer 'power gear' style tracks, it is the hope of Lippert and all manufacturers that it will solve these 'gear jumping' issues, with the floating rail. It seems to have been an improvement so far.

by the way, the deal with these systems, as far as the replacement of the typical hydraulic slide systems, is both cost, AND, maybe more importantly, the saving of room within the smaller cargo/compartments below the living areas. Hydraulics require much larger systems, and much more room... and can still have their own issues, too, just maybe less often. Other than a simple electronic controller for each slide, there is nothing seen, and no room taken up, with these rail slide systems.

in a perfect world, all slides would be perfectly square from day one, and no movement or leveling of the coach would impact it's function.... in a perfect world.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
the main difference in the two 'systems', which seems relatively minor, though important, is the 'floating' rail... rather than the traditional rail being completely attached to the outside of the slide wall, the floating rail is only attached at both ends, leaving the majority of the track to ride away from the slide wall.

what does this do above the standard rail? it gives the builder more latitude if slides are not exactly 'square', which is hard to do, and the floating track can then stay in contact with the drive gear since the slide wall's movement, away from the gear column, does not impact the operation of the mechanism. the original systems had issues when this happened, as the gear would then 'skip' teeth on the track(or better said, the track would not move in correlation with the other slide gears, causing either 'out of sync' slide ENDS, or worse, a slide with 'out of sync' top and bottom gears, leaving one still 'out', while the other was all the way 'in').
In that situation, there is no option other than to remove the gear, re-position the slide, and reinsert the gear, but this is not a do-it-yourself project, as more than likely, the whole slide column must be removed. And, you have not solved the problem, only fixed it temporarily.

The 'triple trax' upgrade, starting with the late-2014 models, like mine, built on/after March 2014, created an additional track and gear to minimize this problem, but it is not fail-proof. Our rear column on our main slide, the lower track, popped and powed several times one day, after 25,000 miles and hundreds of uses with no problems, skipping several teeth on the bottom gear, leaving the slide bottom out about 1 to 1 1/2"s. The typical 're-syncing' operation will not solve this issue, it must be repaired/replaced.

With the newer 'power gear' style tracks, it is the hope of Lippert and all manufacturers that it will solve these 'gear jumping' issues, with the floating rail. It seems to have been an improvement so far.

by the way, the deal with these systems, as far as the replacement of the typical hydraulic slide systems, is both cost, AND, maybe more importantly, the saving of room within the smaller cargo/compartments below the living areas. Hydraulics require much larger systems, and much more room... and can still have their own issues, too, just maybe less often. Other than a simple electronic controller for each slide, there is nothing seen, and no room taken up, with these rail slide systems.

in a perfect world, all slides would be perfectly square from day one, and no movement or leveling of the coach would impact it's function.... in a perfect world.
Thanks. Very well put. Now it sounds like Lippert nor Thor want to help me. The cost to change to the new system is approx. $2500.00. The repair is to place metal pieces inside the slide behind each of the schwintek rails on the slide out and bolt them in. All of the screws on my gear are pulling out. The tracks are moving when the slide moves. It appears the screws are stripping. No bite and the thin metal and fiberglass on the slide is no match for the small self tapping screws. Thor says its a Lippert problem and wont help me because I'm the second and not original owner/purchaser. Lippert says its a Thor issue and its out of warranty from Lippert anyway. At first it all sounded good until the deal/idea fell apart today.

hmmmmm......
Old 09-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #8

You have made a good analysis of the problems. The floating track makes sense, I have shimmed out the top track on the front of the slide by 1/2 inch and it works. It did skip a couple teeth on the rack before I fixed it.

The question is there a real fix for the long slide with the way the slide is designed, no room.

Another problem with my XTE 34 was the rollers that support the ref. They were not installed with long enough screw to attach to the metal frame, causing the slide to rest on the floor and the motors would not move the slide.

Dave
McGalliard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #9

On the track that I had to shim and remount I used longer and bigger screws, no. 10 with hex heads, they are holding.

Dave
McGalliard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:59 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have decided to send certified letters to Thor and Lippert.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #11

FWIW, Dutchmen makes my Voltage toy hauler trailer and they decided, last year I believe, to stop using the Schwintek slide system in favor of a cable system. Far too many problems with the Schwintek. If it were me, I'd unload my RV with that system if it was being too much of a problem.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:33 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Far too many problems with the Schwintek. If it were me, I'd unload my RV with that system if it was being too much of a problem.
What a great idea. But what about the 25-50K you lose when doing that?
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:49 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaveguy View Post
What a great idea. But what about the 25-50K you lose when doing that?
Adam1219 you have spent too much time and money in making your coach YOURS. I have followed most of your changes and you have fit it to you. I would have it fixed and done right. $2500 is small compared to what you will loose if you sell it.
You may want to look at a after market warranty. It is insurance for mechanical problems...
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:23 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Hopefully fixed

After I asked Thor, Lippert and my warranty to help they ALL declined.

I sent a nice certified letter to Thor and I received a 2 minute email response which was so unprofessional.

I paid to have longer screws with a special type of adhesive (dealer told me the gun used to apply it cost the $75). I hope it works.

In the shop from August 20 to November 1.

I finally have her back now.

Installing a satellite dish in a couple of weeks. Bought it on sale two months ago not thinking it would be sitting in the box so long.

Tags
ems, problems, slide