Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Seat height in ACE

We are both fairly short, having trouble in both front seats with the height. I read in the ACE mod thread about adding a piece of wood/garage door (where would you get the door piece?) to the floor. Is there a way to adjust the height by cutting off part of the center column rest? I know more of a permanent solution. Has anyone done this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
We are both fairly short, having trouble in both front seats with the height. I read in the ACE mod thread about adding a piece of wood/garage door (where would you get the door piece?) to the floor. Is there a way to adjust the height by cutting off part of the center column rest? I know more of a permanent solution. Has anyone done this?
You don't want to cut your seat pole down and have the seats sit lower, best to get a little plastic step stool to put your feet on. My wife found a nice one somewhere, it's about 18" wide and 12" deep. The legs were 8" tall, I cut them down to about half and put th runner feet back on, and it's perfect for her. If I remember right, Walmart has a bunch of step stools like this. As far as the driver, I don't have much of a solution for you, possibly a firm pillow between your back and the seat.
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I'm the one who made the 'garage door" pieces. As I've said, that and the small (included) pillow behind our backs works great. BTW, I also investigated cutting off the seat column but (DW) decided that was veeerrry drastic.
The reason that I used the garage door piece was that it was very light weight and strong (PS foam sandwich) and I had some left over from a renovation. Call a garage door repair/replace company and they'll probably give you an old door. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #4

Hermosa,
Thanks for the response. I like the step stool idea for the passenger.

Harry, thanks, I'll check with some garage people in my little town.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We also use a small step stool for the passenger side and a support pillow behind the driver. Both make a big difference in comfort. Of course, my DW moves the step stool to the John for comfort for the same reason!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Of course, my DW moves the step stool to the John for comfort for the same reason!
I can definitely relate to that!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm also a "short" ACE driver. My solution was to us the floor linking mats which come in 2'x2' squares, 4 to a pack. I cut the mats in half making a 1'x2' piece and glued the required number together - in my case 4. They fit nicely, are very lightweight, easy to move for taller drivers and for me easier to find than a section of garage door.

Here is a link to the ones I used. Shop 2-ft W x 2-ft L Linking Mat at Lowes.com=
Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #8

Trek5, that sounds like a good plan. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Great idea.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #10

At 5'5" (on a good day), I'm also on our team of shorties with ACEs. I don't mind the climb up to the toilet, or my feet dangling off the passenger seat all that much. My issue is trying to find a comfortable way to press the gas pedal. I can't seem to be able to rest my heel on the floorboard while pressing the gas pedal down. For short trips, it's no biggie. For longer trips, it's a bit tiring. I find myself using cruise control quite a bit.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfolland View Post
At 5'5" (on a good day), I'm also on our team of shorties with ACEs. I don't mind the climb up to the toilet, or my feet dangling off the passenger seat all that much. My issue is trying to find a comfortable way to press the gas pedal. I can't seem to be able to rest my heel on the floorboard while pressing the gas pedal down. For short trips, it's no biggie. For longer trips, it's a bit tiring. I find myself using cruise control quite a bit.
Yes, that is also a problem, we did ask the dealer to fix it (we've seen gas pedal extenders on other vehicles) they haven't addressed it yet.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
I always thought that was the way my DW gets out of driving! Maybe she is telling the truth.
Murphsfromaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My solution takes care of that. Provides a good place for your heel. Just put it up close to the gas pedal.
Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #14

Please, please don't "put" anything on the drivers side floor that is not permanently attached. Especially "up close to the pedal", it's extremely dangerous. For the passenger side it's not a problem. In my case I cut the pedestals down, I also moved the passenger pedestal forward, considering our coach has a passenger slide that limited the reclining of DW.
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote