Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #1

Second set of house batteries almost dead

So my coach was in storage for awhile and the house batteries dropped to below recovery. I replaced them (2 - 12v) and all is well as long as we are on shore power or generator. Recent 5 day trip without shore power / only generator and had no problem with any system. Back in storage and I now need to run generator weekly cause the Xantrex inverter panel has been showing a drop to 11 volts or so. I run the gen for 1/2 hour or so till I have at least 12.5. Last week Xantrex showed an E05 error code - Overload. Since I hit the battery cutoff switch each time I leave I couldn't understand where the overload could have come from. I charged the batteries, turned off gen and then tried to isolate by turning off 120v breakers. The Xantrex shows a voltage drop when I turn OFF each breaker but a big 5v drop for the water heater. So why a dc voltage drop when ac breaker turned OFF?

This week the batteries dropped to below 11v. I know this because the cutoff switch will not work and now I can't start the generator. Gonna bring the thing home for shore power but can't get the jacks up because the Lippert system is showing low voltage. I believe the jack system is on the chassis electrical system but frequently shows low voltage even after a long drive until I apply shore power or generator!!! So will drop jacks manually.

I am going to start checking connections, etc. and see if there is anything obvious but it looks like a trip to the shop may be needed unless someone can give me some idea where I should be looking. I have some BASIC knowledge of electrics and can operate a meter for voltage, continuity, etc.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

You know you're supposed to be running the engine to operate the leveling jacks?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

Are you leaving the inverter on ?

Most battery disconnects don't switch the inverter off and it can draw your batteries down in a few days.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #4

Owned the thing for a couple of years so yes I know the engine has to be running. Now the jacks won't even come up manually. And yes I did unscrew the valves before using a drill on the motor. Had to do it the last time the batteries died.

Inverter was not on.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #5

Charging a dead battery for 30 mintes or so? Aint going to work. You need to charge a dead or nearly dead battery for 8 to 12 hoirs to bring it back. All your doing is putting a surface charge on them.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #6

Might I suggest two 6 volt golf cart batteries. I’ve had my rig for 10 years and am only on my second set. The first made it about 7 years.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:51 AM   #7

I have read some other threads that said people installed disconnects in their battery compartments to completely disconnect the batteries. This also shuts off power to leak/smoke detectors in the rig.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #8

So after finally giving up and calling in pro help it turns out that one of the new batteries is bad. They are saying that the bad battery was drawing down the good one. I know I have just enough knowledge of electrics to be seriously dangerous but I don't understand how a bad battery could put 12v on ground which is what it was doing.

In any case they are suggesting that I go with 6 volts as sgpd1sam had recommended. Sounds good but in looking at the specs 6 volts are taller and heavier and I am not sure I have the headroom. Also going to be a pain to maintain.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:51 AM   #9

Glad you figured out what was wrong. Thanks for posting the solution.

I have 3 each 12 volt flooded batteries. 2 are original equipment, the third added just after buying coach in April 2015.

In April 2015 I purchased the third battery at Walmart because it was the exact same battery as the factory ones. Cost then was about $100.

Installed the Quick Fill gizmo for adding water. Makes topping off very easy.

Keep coach plugged in while in storage.

Last month was 4 years of service so far and still running strong. I do not boon dock except when forced to.

I hope to get a total of 5 years out of these three. $300 for 5 years equals $60 per year. I wonder how the 6 volts compare in cost per year. Might try them when I need to replace these.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrankyKoot View Post
So after finally giving up and calling in pro help it turns out that one of the new batteries is bad. They are saying that the bad battery was drawing down the good one. I know I have just enough knowledge of electrics to be seriously dangerous but I don't understand how a bad battery could put 12v on ground which is what it was doing.

In any case they are suggesting that I go with 6 volts as sgpd1sam had recommended. Sounds good but in looking at the specs 6 volts are taller and heavier and I am not sure I have the headroom. Also going to be a pain to maintain.

Mine fit in my battery area with limited to no room to spare. They are not on a pull out tray so I too use the tube battery filler. Put the new caps and hoses on, connect the squeeze pump filler, put the suction end in a bottle of distilled water and fill all cells at once. Stupid easy to do and you don’t have to take out the batteries.

https://www.campingworld.com/qwik-fi...tem-27038.html
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries