Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a Thor motorhome again?
Oh yeah - great people, great product 7 35.00%
Probably - their products are unique 8 40.00%
Hmm - Not if I knew what I know now 4 20.00%
Not on a bet - bad product, bad service 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Groves
Question Shopping a Thor Outlaw - Online reviews are freaking me out...

Hey guys, my fiancee and I are looking VERY seriously at the Thor Outlaw (prob new) and today I got online because tomorrow, we're going to the local dealer and initiating our first conversation. When I Googled 'Thor Motorhome Reviews' I got a huge surprise (not a good one), so I am here looking for another perspective.

The number of poor reviews outnumbered the good ones by about 4 to 1! Freaked me out...

The number one complaint seemed to be poor customer service and shoddy workmanship.

The reviews are on Yelp!, RVT (http://www.rvt.com), Pissed Consumer (https://www.pissedconsumer.com) and there are the dozens of what looks like 'sponsored' posts / reviews on various sites which I have no confidence in.

I'm interested in an honest conversation about how they treat their customer (before, during & after the sale) and how they treat their team (looked over the reports at Glassdoor - not a good time there either; how they treat their employees is usually a direct reflection of how they'll treat us as customers) - I want to know all of it.

Anyone able to help me here? How is THor to work with, what are the "gotcha's", how would you proceed to NOT be taken advantage of?

Lastly, Thor advertises themselves to be "#1 Motorhome Brand in North America, producing nearly 1 out of every 4 motorhomes sold each year". Quantity does not mean quality, so who is the best manufacturer? Who might I need to look at given I have time and a flexible budget?

Socially Yours,
Steve & Cynthia
Steven Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Grove View Post
Hey guys, my fiancee and I are looking VERY seriously at the Thor Outlaw (prob new) and today I got online because tomorrow, we're going to the local dealer and initiating our first conversation. When I Googled 'Thor Motorhome Reviews' I got a huge surprise (not a good one), so I am here looking for another perspective.

The number of poor reviews outnumbered the good ones by about 4 to 1! Freaked me out...

The number one complaint seemed to be poor customer service and shoddy workmanship.

The reviews are on Yelp!, RVT (Thousands of New & Used RVs for Sale on RVT.comĀ® - Travel Trailers, Motorhomes, Campers and More - Sell an RV Online), Pissed Consumer (https://www.pissedconsumer.com) and there are the dozens of what looks like 'sponsored' posts / reviews on various sites which I have no confidence in.

I'm interested in an honest conversation about how they treat their customer (before, during & after the sale) and how they treat their team (looked over the reports at Glassdoor - not a good time there either; how they treat their employees is usually a direct reflection of how they'll treat us as customers) - I want to know all of it.

Anyone able to help me here? How is THor to work with, what are the "gotcha's", how would you proceed to NOT be taken advantage of?

Lastly, Thor advertises themselves to be "#1 Motorhome Brand in North America, producing nearly 1 out of every 4 motorhomes sold each year". Quantity does not mean quality, so who is the best manufacturer? Who might I need to look at given I have time and a flexible budget?

Socially Yours,
Steve & Cynthia
Honest answer from a Outlaw LS owner for a little over a year 2016.5. The number one to get it is it's unique floor plan. Only thing close is a newmar and it's a bit different.

We didn't even go to "buy" and outlaw the day we looked, we went to cross it off the list of many we were looking at. I had come to the conclusion that I would end up in a super C diesel and have to tow what I wanted to bring.

But after 5min in the outlaw the floor plan and immense space sold me. I did a fair amount of googling and reading online before I even went to the dealer so I didn't go in completely blind.

Hindsight I would have wished I would have gone here and read a little more and also the FB page I'm apart of https://www.facebook.com/groups/235934876593580/

Lots of info in both places.

One thing to keep in mind is all motorhomes have the potential to be POS and all have issues.

The list I have is huge and my coach has spent 4 months at the dealer in it's first year. The rest of the months it barely sat idol. Most of that is due to a dealer that is lack luster in their ability to properly fix things. Colton Mike thompson if you are looking in socal.

As far as what to look for my list is long but here are some highlights.

my #1 issue is the day I drove it off the lot the inverter was broken. despite paying for a walk through and all that BS, they failed to check that and it litterly started beeping at me as I drove off. I didn't realize till later it was bad. We didn't intend to spend the first week or months of ownership having the RV repaired so we had trips lined up already. It was a couple months before I could get it in so I bought the same unit and replaced it my self till I could get it in to be replaced under warranty.

The second most frustrating item was the fridge. The freezer does just fine on the inverter but the fridge barely gets cold and stays there. Thor refuses to admit there is an issue but several people I've talked to have a similar issue. Some are fine with it and work around it others claim no issue and one other person replaced the batteries and inverter and fixed the issue. Thor claims the inverter is not the problem but has no solution.

I'm convinced that they rely on two facts, most people don't use their coaches that much and won't notice and most people run out of warranty in the first year and problem is gone. I could be wrong my new inverter is sitting in my truck and i can't wait to upgrade it.

The over head bunk has been an issue since the first trip out. We bought the Outlaw in part for all the sleeping. We've only used it once with out issues in a whole year. BUT I just figured out how to reset the computer for it so maybe I'll get that figured out.

The windshield wipers thor replaced and those work great now. BUt that was after my dealer had to do body work and paint to the front of the coach when the wipers went crazy and scratched up the front of the coach.

both step modules have gone out. I replaced. I'm supposed to get new ones from thor through my dealer soon. I replaced them my self because I don't have two months for my service guys to screw that job up too.

Various things were loose in the coach, I guess that's normal.

rear mud flap wasn't installed right and flipped up all over the place for several hundred miles till someone told us. and took out the licence plate and light. Thor and or the dealer won't take responsibility for that. Mud flap is kinda trashed too.

all the latches on the outside have issues. I've fixed some my self, dealer has some on order.

Both doors stick, I fixed one, the other one needs replaced.

rear step is sticking again.

Alignment was off from day one. Thor wouldn't take care of it but dealer said they did. I can't tell a difference.

Subwoofer is wired up wrong, works with outside speakers not in dash like it should. I didn't even know that was wrong till I read on a forum someone else had theirs wired right and apparently mines and odd ball?

plastic dash pieces falling apart. lots of cosmetic stuff through out the coach is kinda half ass attached some has been fixed. the 2017 look much much better though in that respect.

Thor when you call is actually very helpful, there is another couple reps on the fb page that help and have even sent parts to us direct. aside from the inverter issue I really can't fault them for much "after the fact".

My dealer sucks, but I now have a reputation with them as "that guy" I bring them list, with how to fix it because frankly they are clueless. They return the favor by replacing parts that i already replaced my self. I keep the old parts and figure I have spares.

You don't buy a RV for it's reliability it's a house bouncing down the road, made by a bunch of 10.00 an hour hillbillies in Indiana most likely late all you can eat wings at the home town buffet on a Friday night. No offense hillbilly's I still love you

Buy an RV for the floor plan, just please make sure you do a really good walk through and make sure you make your first appointment shortly after you take it out for the first time which again should be right away. Test drive it a fair distance. Have them plug it in and run everything you can on it before you take it.

I would most likely still buy one. I would just be way more cautious when I inspected it.

Good luck!
Jdemello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want feedback...join owners:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-lo...aw-102560.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...es-149108.html

Thor haters just love to hate, but beware...the complaint could be totally unrelated to the RV you want, because Thor is over 24 brands of RV's in every segment of RV from Pop-tops to luxury Class A's with brand names including Entegra, Airsteam, Dutchmen Starcraft and Coleman (yes, the iconic camping equipment brand). And Thor Motor Coach (before 2010, was FourWinds, Damon Motorcoach, and Mandalay Luxury Coach) has 3 different factories alone.
https://www.thorindustries.com/get-t...the-companies/

Like said above, there is only 1 RV that is even close to the Outlaw, a Newmar Canyon Star floor plan. And there are obvious differences with it...beautiful RV, but different:
https://www.newmarcorp.com/motor-coa...rplan-options/

Finally, Thor factory customer service is awesome. Most complaints can be traced to a dealership that does not want to be responsible in the after-sale support. In those cases, the buyer needs to be prepared to partner with the factory customer service staff and think of alternatives to bypass the poor dealership. This is so prevalent in the industry that premium Class A Brand owners have created nick-names for going back to the factory for service...you can find these pet names in those brand owner's forums.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #4

Our experience was great and continues to be once we got past the salesman and very sexist sales manager. Sure, we have had problems, mostly minor, but all have been resolved. Each time we finish an outing we count the days till we can go again. One thing -- RV Ing is not for the "faint of budget". All maintenance and repairs cost lots. I wish I had more fix it skills.

Dave
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Groves
Thanks - keep 'em coming!

Thanks guyz / galz, just the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Add on question - new or used? If I can save the first year depreciation, is a used rig a wise choice or am I just buying someone else's problems?
Old 04-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only you can decide new or used. Some folks want that new RV. There's perks to knowing that the RV has never been misused or abused, and that owner has the full warranty period.

And you can always run into a problem in the used market. Even with an average inspection you can find issues later.

On the other hand, used puts the depreciation on the original owner and they have often worked through the "punch-list" of new RV fixes.

For the Outlaw - specifically, there are 5 VERY NICE models that have been phased-out...maybe that is what you want, so used is the only way to go(?)
37LS (Gen2) - Big Loft and Big Salon.
37MD (Gen2) - Dedicated Mid-Den has a sleeper sofa (TV room/den transforms into bedroom).
35SG (Super C) - F550 cab/chassis can tow 10,000lb.
3611 (Gen1/Original Outlaw) - Similar to the 37LS, but the sofa sleeper can be opened/used without opening the slide.
3808 (Gen1) - 12" Garage, Big Loft and Big Salon.

There is no easy answer.
Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Groves View Post
Thanks guyz / galz, just the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Add on question - new or used? If I can save the first year depreciation, is a used rig a wise choice or am I just buying someone else's problems?
I feel used is always a better deal. Not only do you not have the depreciation factor but the hope is the guy before you had everything fixed.

For us though they had one used one on the lot 2014. They really wouldn't budge on the price and we didn't like how the older ones had the couches come out of the ceiling.

Plus they made us a really good end of year deal on the unit.
Jdemello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I love ours, 2017 29 h toy huler
Old 04-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Groves View Post

The reviews are on Yelp!, RVT (Thousands of New & Used RVs for Sale on RVT.comĀ® - Travel Trailers, Motorhomes, Campers and More - Sell an RV Online), Pissed Consumer (https://www.pissedconsumer.com) and there are the dozens of what looks like 'sponsored' posts / reviews on various sites which I have no confidence in.

Socially Yours,
Steve & Cynthia
I don't know if you've already purchased, but here's my 2 cents if it helps
We bought a (barely) used 2015 37LS - which is my favorite layout of all of them. We physically walked through and looked at all the available models and the open space in this model worked best for us and our large dogs. My advice - walk through all of them if possible. I also second buying used so all the initial issues are already taken care of and you get a lightly used one for a lot less than they usually cost. Ours was very clean and in very good condition. Plus, the less you need to deal with the dealerships the better (hence letting the first owner deal with it).
As mentioned before, most issues are most likely with the dealership than with the vehicle itself. Also, working with Thor is better than the dealership any day.
Issues - our door magnet went out within a few days of us having it, which caused the rear step to go in and out like it had a life of its own. That happens to any door with a magnet though, from what I understand. Also, the rear corner apparently cracks in severely cold weather - A pain in the butt, but I understand its not structural so its not a monster of an issue. We had ours replaced and painted, which is kind of pricey, but it doesn't require it.
I think the biggest bonus of having an Outlaw is that you've got one of the only motorhomes with a garage and that is priceless! I love my mornings on the deck with my pups working or having breakfast. There's really nothing like it. Not to mention, this community is very active in helping explain things, coming up with modifications, etc. and there aren't even that many of us out there! Be part of the few! lol
NifTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NifTux View Post
I don't know if you've already purchased, but here's my 2 cents if it helps
...I love my mornings on the deck with my pups working or having breakfast. There's really nothing like it...
This is an understatement..."nothing like it."

YOUR RV WILL become the celebrity of any campground as you enjoy a meal or beverage on the rear deck.

Folks will literally walk around the campground seeking a peak inside the garage and many will approach, asking questions.

At least that's what happens to us

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
thor