Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

Sirius XM radio antenna

We have the Axxera radio and added a small Sirius XM satellite radio since our radio was not "XM ready". Getting ready to put an exterior Sirius XM antenna up....had the small antenna at the bottom of the windshield but tired of losing signal. Has anyone ever tried to install a universal shark antenna like they have on cars? Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Terrie Crawford

2016 Tuscany XTE 36MQ
ter-lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #2

Sirius/XM Antenna

I had our local RV service guy install Sirius puck antenna on the roof of our 2013 Thor A.C.E. He bored a hole in the top of the front cap and fished the wire down the A-pillar and into the dash. I had added a portable Sirius Calypso tuner that plays through the installed Jensen radio. The Calypso is one I've owned for 6 or mor years and I move it between the A.C.E. and our automobile. Having the antenna roof mounted eliminated the signal loss with the antenna laying on the dash as you've described. Don't know about your particular rig but it was not a difficult mod for the A.C.E.
norrirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did the same as norrirn with our Palazzo but I had the techs do it at the Thor service center when I was there for some work.

On our 36MQ I didn't go through the roof but ran the wire behind the plastic cover over the A pillar and then put the antenna on top of the cabinet above the driver's left shoulder. There is a small ledge there where I just layed the magnet antenna on top. It works a lot better than having it lay on the dash.

Gary
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't have to drill a hole in your roof. The fiberglass front cap on your MH does not hinder the radio signal. You attach it to the top of the aluminum frame behind the front TV or behind the overhead cabinet. Mine has been there for years working great (3 bars).
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio