Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide, what do I have

While i'm waiting to get our new to us 2009 Thor Magellan 36R ( hurricane & windsport seem to be similar platforms) with a checklist of items to be fixed i am reading my owners manuals and surfing iRV2 forum.

I know my slides are Hydraulic but dont know who manufactured them. My owners manual gives instructions to move slide out, in and manual room retraction. They do not say who made the slide just state " refer to the manufactures operation manual for complete details and trouble shooting.

I'm not having any issues with the slides just want to know how things work and *IF* my slide is prone to problems.

Once i know who it's made by I can get their manual. Thanks, Bruce
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 2009, Thor Motor Coach had yet to be created. The Magellan was a FourWinds brand at that point...see:
https://thormotorcoach.com/document-archive/
Filter by year, and model to see the original documents.

The 36R has 3 slides and I really doubt they are hydraulic...should be Lippert rack and pinion, but I could be wrong.

If electric or hydraulic, emergency retraction is usually, easy as manually turning the end of the drive. Once you confirm the type and maker, you can easily pull the manual down on-line.
That is one of the perks about all Thor RV's...the systems are all from top level suppliers like LCI, Atwood, Dometic, etc. Parts and repairs are available everywhere...no "one-offs" like in some boutique built RV's.

TMC was created in 2010 from merger of Thor's Motorized brands, Damon, Mandalay Luxury Coach and Four Winds. It's the current #1 motorhome maker in North America (sales volume) and by the recent acquisition of Jayco, Entegra, and Jayco Australia.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
In 2009, Thor Motor Coach had yet to be created. The Magellan was a FourWinds brand at that point...see:
https://thormotorcoach.com/document-archive/
Filter by year, and model to see the original documents.

The 36R has 3 slides and I really doubt they are hydraulic...should be Lippert rack and pinion, but I could be wrong.

Best luck
I had been to the site you referenced above before and got one document for my MH that had tank sizes etc. The other document that was there I got with the coach and it was the owners manual, four winds Magellan.

The assumption i am making that it is hydraulic is that in the owners manual it lists procedures for both hydraulic and manual operation and a picture of our coach has this hydraulic manifold displayed. Just can't know at this time who the manufacturer of it is.

The mh is a 2hr. drive away at the dealer and i am waiting on several repairs to be made before i take ownership.

Here is a pic of what i *think* is the hydraulic manifold for slides and jacks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 7.13.42 AM.png
Views:	55
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	135272  
Old 08-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #4

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
... recent acquisition of Jayco, Entegra, and Jayco Australia...
actually Jayco Australia is a completely different company, not purchased by Thor...

"In Australia, Jayco is manufactured by Jayco Australia which is another privately founded and owned independent manufacturer, which is not affiliated with Jayco Inc of the USA"

sorry
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did a search on RV Trader for the make and model year and found a couple with images of the driver's arm rest that has the control panel for the leveling jacks. Looks like it was made by Equalizer Systems. The valve block looks like it has seven hose pairs so I would guess four jacks and three slides.

Equalizer Systems for Motorhomes - Equalizer Systems

But I could be wrong.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Did a search on RV Trader for the make and model year and found a couple with images of the driver's arm rest that has the control panel for the leveling jacks. Looks like it was made by Equalizer Systems. The valve block looks like it has seven hose pairs so I would guess four jacks and three slides.

But I could be wrong.
Sweetbriar,
Yes you are right, 3 slides, 4 jacks, 7 hose pairs.

Still waiting to pick up our new to us Magellan. Came close yesterday but during the PDI ( Pre delivery Inspection) I was going over all systems and the left rear jack did not operate. They all had worked when we first looked at the coach.

The coach has been officially ours for a month now and we were waiting on a list of items to be corrected, genny wouldn't stay running, minor upholstery work and a roadmaster rear sway bar to be installed. I have the roadmaster front from our trade which is the same part # for the magellan, thankfully I never trashed the stock front bar from the trade.They will get the jack corrected but the coach will have to wait for another PDI till we return from a trip from Fl. to NY for our grandsons 1st birthday on sept 5th. Dealer was very apologetic and offered a few options but our next 2 days will be busy getting ready for the NY trip.
Patients, major purchase and things need to be right.

Here is a picture of the controller in our yet to be home MH.

Thank you for the information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6924759_91.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	135503  
Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

But I could be wrong.

Looks like an Equalizer Systems pump to us as well! If you do have any issues with your slide outs or leveling system, feel free to give our service department a call. We take great pride in our ability to offer the best customer service in the RV industry.
EQSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
While i'm waiting to get our new to us 2009 Thor Magellan 36R...
I know my slides are Hydraulic but dont know who manufactured them. My owners manual gives instructions to move slide out, in and manual room retraction. They do not say who made the slide just state " refer to the manufactures operation manual for complete details and trouble shooting.

Once i know who it's made by I can get their manual. Thanks, Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQSystems View Post
Looks like an Equalizer Systems...feel free to give our service department a call
Well, gosh. Wish all of our Forum Sponsors were that responsive
Now the OP knows who to call for the manual.

And Thanks to EQ for the Forum sponsorship

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:06 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If you do have any issues with your slide outs or leveling system, feel free to give our service department a call. We take great pride in our ability to offer the best customer service in the RV industry.
Thank you for the reply. Good to know i can put you on my list of companies with outstanding customer service. Be assured i will call you to know how my systems work. Thanks again for monitoring this forum.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #10
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. Good to know i can put you on my list of companies with outstanding customer service. Be assured i will call you to know how my systems work. Thanks again for monitoring this forum.
Not a problem at all. We're more than happy to be here to help!
EQSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Why am gathering information on my soon to be new to us 2009 Thor Magellan's slide is the coach I traded in a 2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit had a flaw in their front slide design. It would break a shear pin where the slide motor connected to the actuating arm. After 5 years of ownership while camping I had every owner of the same coach ask if I had problems with the slide shear pin breakage. I told them yes and my fix/ workaround.

The pin would become bent and ready to break at 7 or 8 cycles (1 cycle = 1 out,1 in). I would replace the pin at 6 cycles. Got pretty good at it and would only take a few minutes. I'm guessing the reason I got such a good deal on that coach was the previous owner probably not that mechanically inclined after several breaks and being stuck with a service got rid of it.

I left my maintenance log with that coach and a supply of shear pins. Dealer was informed of this issue.
I've learned over my 5 years of RV ownership thaat no matter what level of coach you can afford things will happen and need fixing. It's not like modern cars.

Tags
slide