Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 04:06 PM   #1

Solar House Battery Charging

We have a THOR Windsport 35M we'll be picking up on this Friday, January 28. We'll have it stored in an area without power, so I'd like to rig up a small solar panel to connect to a charger to keep the house batteries charged.

Below is a photo of what someone who has a unit where our travel trailer is--and soon it will be "was"--stored.

Anyone have any experience with a DIY project like this? What do I need, other than time and money? Solar panel, power cable, and some other stuff, I'm sure.

Thanks!

Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SolarHouseBatteryCharger-sm.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	354762  
FloridaFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 04:14 PM   #2

I think you might need more solar power then that..
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
I think you might need more solar power then that..
Absolutely. You will be lucky to get an amp hour a day out of that. My new Thor Axis uses 0.07 amps with the batteries disconnected. But that represents 24*.07= 1.7 amp hours daily.

Buy at least a 20 watt, preferably 50 watt portable solar panel with controller such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/SOLPERK-Monoc...45&sr=8-8&th=1

These have a controller as part of the solar panel. Mount it on your south facing bumper and connect its output to your batteries.

That will keep your batteries well charged.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:24 PM   #4

I bought a 100 watt harbor freight solar charger. My rig is stored at my home. It was cheap and each panel is 25 watts so you can connect as many as you need to keep batteries charged during storage. If you are not under cover you could possible put panel on roof. You will have to buy extension cable on Amazon to reach to batteries. It is working great for me. Comes with its own charge controller.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #5

DIY easy if solar prewired

Does your unit come prewired for solar? I have a 2016 Thor TuscanyXTE and it came prewired for solar. I installed a 100 watt panel on the roof and connected to the pre installed roof connections. Found the 10 gauge wires in the rear bay that houses the Inverter and installed the Go Power solar controller.
H2odiverski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:58 PM   #6

Most of the above is good advice. The issue I see with the picture you posted besides being too small is that that panel looks like it will blow around in the breeze damaging both the panel and the rig. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:09 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That panel might be big enough to charge a phone. Maybe. Pointed at the horizon or other arbitrary angle ensures that what little energy might be gotten from it is reduced even further...

Best answer is to disconnect your batteries in storage. Solar generally works pretty well, until it doesn't. A few cloudy days, or a layer of snow on the panels and it's like you don't have solar. Since the loads on your batteries are omnipresent, it only takes one problem or issue where your solar doesn't work and your batteries are flat. The only true mitigation is to fully charge then disconnect them. If you care to connect some solar to the disconnected bank as a maintainer that's OK, but I would not rely on solar or even a mains connected charger for maintaining a bank that is connected to any house loads.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:26 AM   #8

I have a 50W panel securely mounted on my ladder so that the angle can be adjusted with a cord and bungee for optimum exposure. I ran 10 gauge twin lead landscape wire along the side of my MH to my battery compartment and an inexpensive controller. It works great in keeping my house and chassis batteries (via an Amp-L-Start) charged while in storage. It's easy to disconnect and stow when we want to use the MH.

I had the 50W panel already but, as previously mentioned, 20W or so would probably be adequate.

A lot will depend on your sun exposure and weather. My MH is stored in an open lot, it's back faces south and, in the Sacramento area, we have pretty decent winter sun.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:36 AM   #9

Depending on how easy it is to access your batteries, disconnecting them while in storage is another option. I installed disconnects on mine. Before installing the cut-off switches, I just disconnected the cable at the batteries. I visited my rig monthly for a generator run and rodent inspection which also topped off the batteries.

It's important to note that the factory disconnects often don't completely disconnect all loads so any panel you get needs to be sized to take phantom loads into consideration. Might only be an amp or so, but it's still important.

I located my disconnects on the bed pedestal a short distance from my main fuse board in the engine compartment. This kept the additional cabling short. Takes longer to walk back to the bedroom than it does to throw the switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220202_120955628.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	355358  
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, solar