RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Spare Tire on Ace 27.1

1) Anyone mount a spare tire carrier one on the outside rear back wall (is wall structurally OK for this?), or maybe a mount elsewhere? I believe a 19.5" tire/wheel will weigh in at around 100#s.

2) Also, does it make sense to just carry only a tire (w/no wheel rim). Thinking that if a tire change needed while out on the road, the service truck will always have ability to mount the spare tire on the flats wheel rim??

3) A 'tire only' approach may fit into the rear BR closet too and thus completely avoid an exterior mount for a complete tire w/wheel. Also a bit less weight and easier to handle.

Any input much appreciated

millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:15 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I have weighed the spare tire thing and honestly I would not want the spare mounted to the outside of the coach and I don't have space under the coach (ACE 29.3) so I have opted to just rely on good Sam road service. I have had them for almost 15 years and never had to use them. Two times I have had tires loose air bit was able to take care of myself. I always use a tire pressure system. The cost of a tire and rim that you may never use just doesn't work for me. In exchange I always carry a plug kit and my air compressor. If you need a tire replacement due to a blowout you can just i fom them and they can usually bring the replacement size with them. You may be at their mercy for cost but we could play Devils advocate on everything. In an emergency if I lost a steer tire I would remove a rear to put on front and limp to service but that's me or I would take out tow car and retrieve the needed tire. Of course this is all dependent on if you are capable of doing so. Some aren't.

Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2015 ACE 30.1 has a bumper spare
plotlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotlot View Post

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:59 PM   #5

Commercial Member

Sometimes an RV spare tire is not necessary. Here's a short video why.

And a couple of posts that mention things to think about when contemplating spare tires.
Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my blog RVTireSafety.NET to learn more about RV tires & valves. Check the post on iRv2 on "Why Tires Fail". Giving tire seminars @ FMCA Convention @ Perry Ga next March
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hyper Link insert tool doesn't seem to be functional & insert picture wants a Hyperlink instead of a file. (?) There is a 2015 ACE for sale at B. Young RV that has a tire carrier on the rear bumper pictured. Hyper link below.

http://www.byoungrv.com/Pre-Owned-In...-Oregon-912132
plotlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
I have weighed the spare tire thing and honestly I would not want the spare mounted to the outside of the coach and I don't have space under the coach (ACE 29.3) so I have opted to just rely on good Sam road service. I have had them for almost 15 years and never had to use them. Two times I have had tires loose air bit was able to take care of myself. I always use a tire pressure system. The cost of a tire and rim that you may never use just doesn't work for me. In exchange I always carry a plug kit and my air compressor. If you need a tire replacement due to a blowout you can just i fom them and they can usually bring the replacement size with them. You may be at their mercy for cost but we could play Devils advocate on everything. In an emergency if I lost a steer tire I would remove a rear to put on front and limp to service but that's me or I would take out tow car and retrieve the needed tire. Of course this is all dependent on if you are capable of doing so. Some aren't.
Thanks Knightab,
Also have GS service & had to use them once - was not a good experience - Sunday extra charges, they could not find tire within 75 miles - tire alone over $700 & then the extra 'out of normal service hours' charges and housr or wait time. Not mention getting disconnected w/GS reps several times & having to start over with he whole spiel. Turned out we found a work-around, but lesson learned

Big thing for us is to, at minimum, have a tire (sans rim if necessary) on hand. A tire alone will easily fit not the rear BR closet - tire may stink the place up - perhaps will have to wrap it up in plastic sheeting/bag.
Thanks again for all the input.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
Nice, have a pic by any chance??
Oops, just noticed asked the wrong person!
Since corrected a couple posts below......
Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sometimes an RV spare tire is not necessary. Here's a short video why.

And a couple of posts that mention things to think about when contemplating spare tires.
Thank you Tireman9!
Video kinda supports my 'carry at least a tire if no rim' approach.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Hello Mr. Plotlot,
Have a pic??
Thanks!

Picture found - thanks!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Hyper Link insert tool doesn't seem to be functional & insert picture wants a Hyperlink instead of a file. (?) There is a 2015 ACE for sale at B. Young RV that has a tire carrier on the rear bumper pictured. Hyper link below.

http://www.byoungrv.com/Pre-Owned-In...-Oregon-912132
I notice it is pre-owned. Aftermarket kit perhaps?

Old 03-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #12

I can't comment on 27.1, but I assume 29.2 is identical with respect to bumper and receiver. Roadmaster has a receiver mounted carrier. A little too many $$ for me, but I had the skills, time, and abilities to fab one similar. I bought a new off-brand spare of the same size and load rating and a salvage wheel. I have road hazard tire coverage, so I figure it will get me to a GY dealer for a replacement.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
lrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrover View Post
I can't comment on 27.1, but I assume 29.2 is identical with respect to bumper and receiver. Roadmaster has a receiver mounted carrier. A little too many $$ for me, but I had the skills, time, and abilities to fab one similar. I bought a new off-brand spare of the same size and load rating and a salvage wheel. I have road hazard tire coverage, so I figure it will get me to a GY dealer for a replacement.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Yes, looked hard at that RM unit & almost popped for the 7+ bills. Due to bike carrier issues, & the needed investment for the RM unit, decided on a tire only stashed in BR closet strategy for now. Bumper mount as mentioned earlier maybe well be worth investigating as most weight taken up by bumper & the tire is just held to back wall of RV by a (thru-wall/interior braced?) tire mount bracket. Thanks for the input 'lropver'!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:21 AM   #14

FWIW, I had a tire carrier on my previous RV- McKenzie Rogue. I believe it was OE. It was mounted around the boxed section of the hitch and traveled up between the rear wall and bumper.

Tags
ace