RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 02:49 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Speakers in the front

Our new Thor A.C.E. 27.1 has a Jensen JRV212T system installed playing to 2 speakers on the ceiling behind the front seats & 2 in the bedroom. TWTLMLWH (the woman that lets me live with her) my DW, would like the sound to be more forward. Can anyone suggest a set up that could be added to the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2650.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	69236  

UMEKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #2

Hello and welcome. There is a huge 40+ page thread on here called ACE Mods/Upgrades it has a lot of good innovative ideas on what to add/do to the ACE. One of the posts discusses speakers up front: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/ace-...139997-40.html

Hope that helps.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice picture of TDTLYFH (The Dog That Lets You Feed Her). Ours does the same thing - climbs up onto the dash to watch where we go when we leave (though he is a tad bit smaller). As noted, the ACE Mods/Upgrade postings are the place for the best discussions for this fix. Note that TDTLYFH might be a bit put out if the speakers aren't placed for her comfort when laying there "on guard".
Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMEKiki View Post
Our new Thor A.C.E. 27.1 has a Jensen JRV212T system installed playing to 2 speakers on the ceiling behind the front seats & 2 in the bedroom. TWTLMLWH (the woman that lets me live with her) my DW, would like the sound to be more forward. Can anyone suggest a set up that could be added to the front.
We are using a Bluetooth speaker and stream music from our phones. That way we don't blow the kids away.

The speaker fits right under the dash on top the motor bump behind the cup holders
Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #5

I just purchased an amp from Crutchfield. With install kit it was $125.
I am going to run this off the preamp outputs on the back of the Jensen stereo to small bookshelf speakers that I am going to place in the front corners under the dash. I had them in my previous motorhome. They sound so nice I couldn't make myself include them with the trade in.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Details Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I just purchased an amp from Crutchfield. With install kit it was $125.
I am going to run this off the preamp outputs on the back of the Jensen stereo to small bookshelf speakers that I am going to place in the front corners under the dash. I had them in my previous motorhome. They sound so nice I couldn't make myself include them with the trade in.
It's nice to learn that this is what you are going to do but without providing the make & model #'s of the equipment or pictures, I'm still standing here with both my arms at the same length. If you could, please, post.
UMEKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
I installed 2 speakers in the dash and a woofer in one of the front bunk storage bays. The difference in sound is amazing.

The woofer is a Rockfordfosgate 10" sub woofer.
PUNCH Loaded Enclosures - P300-10 - Rockford Fosgate®

The front speakers are Rockfordfosgate P152-S 5.25" Punch Series Component System
PUNCH Speakers - P152-S - Rockford Fosgate®

cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #8

How hard was it to install the speakers on the dash.
Any photos?
iker211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iker211 View Post
How hard was it to install the speakers on the dash.
Any photos?
If you are handy with tools, not too difficult. The passenger side was more difficult than the drivers side. It 'required' removing the desk compartment to access the dash area and to run the wires across to the radio. Extra care was also required not to tear the vinyl upholstery.

I used a sharpie pen to mark the hole and then a razor knife to cut the padded dash in triangles (starting from the edge and working toward the center). I then taped the triangles back, drilled 4 holes (North, South, East, West) and then carefully sawed the plywood out of the dash with a jigsaw.

For the drives side, since it is a composite material, I used a hole saw. It was very simple. The saw was 4.5" and I had to sand a bit increase the hole size to get the speaker to fit. The template says a cutout of 4.8"

More pics at https://www.flickr.com/photos/north4...7646340688982/
Old 08-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
It's nice to learn that this is what you are going to do but without providing the make & model #'s of the equipment or pictures, I'm still standing here with both my arms at the same length. If you could, please, post.
I am going to try and work on it this week.
The amp is a Crutchfield amp: Sound Ordnance M-2250 2-channel car amplifier — 175 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com
And the speakers I had in my previous motorhome, which sound amazing. They are Bowers and Wilkins: 685 | 600 Series | Bowers & Wilkins

I'll post pics once finished.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxguys View Post
If you are handy with tools, not too difficult. The passenger side was more difficult than the drivers side. It 'required' removing the desk compartment to access the dash area and to run the wires across to the radio. Extra care was also required not to tear the vinyl upholstery.

I used a sharpie pen to mark the hole and then a razor knife to cut the padded dash in triangles (starting from the edge and working toward the center). I then taped the triangles back, drilled 4 holes (North, South, East, West) and then carefully sawed the plywood out of the dash with a jigsaw.

For the drives side, since it is a composite material, I used a hole saw. It was very simple. The saw was 4.5" and I had to sand a bit increase the hole size to get the speaker to fit. The template says a cutout of 4.8"

More pics at https://www.flickr.com/photos/north4...7646340688982/
Great install...looks just like what i did...down to the painters tape! Nice work!

Here is the link to my install. I used RF components up front and an infinity powered sub...true the sound difference in the rig is 100% different. I like that the sub has a dial...so I can turn it up and down right from my seat.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/late...ml#post2009722

Old 08-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
Great install...looks just like what i did...down to the painters tape! Nice work!

Here is the link to my install. I used RF components up front and an infinity powered sub...true the sound difference in the rig is 100% different. I like that the sub has a dial...so I can turn it up and down right from my seat.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/late...ml#post2009722

It sure does. I learned from a pro! Right down to the 5.25" speakers too! Thanks for taking the guess work out of it!

Our sub doesn't have a dial on it, but it does have an optional remote control that I attached to the dash on the passenger side. That way the person riding shotgun can adjust it, or I can somewhat modify it via the radio controls (bass control).
Old 08-20-2014, 04:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptxguys View Post
It sure does. I learned from a pro! Right down to the 5.25" speakers too! Thanks for taking the guess work out of it!

Our sub doesn't have a dial on it, but it does have an optional remote control that I attached to the dash on the passenger side. That way the person riding shotgun can adjust it, or I can somewhat modify it via the radio controls (bass control).

Awesome! Yes mine is a remote also...same deal but I mounted by the drivers side. By far my most enjoyed mod!