Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 05:47 AM   #1

Switch panel illumination

Good morning fellow Rvr's. 2013 Thor Tuscany 42WX, my switch panel by the entry door does not light up, i looked in there and probed a little bit with a light tester but it is difficult, there are so many wires and all seem to be the same color. ? Has anybody dealt with something similar ?
Aste455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2022, 04:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aste455 View Post
Good morning fellow Rvr's. 2013 Thor Tuscany 42WX, my switch panel by the entry door does not light up, i looked in there and probed a little bit with a light tester but it is difficult, there are so many wires and all seem to be the same color. ? Has anybody dealt with something similar ?

Is the switch panel designed to light up? A photo of the front and back of the panel might help.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:14 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I have a Venetian and the switch panel next to entry door also does not illuminate (by design). I ended up putting a battery operated light with motion detector there and it works great. When I enter at night, it automatically comes on. I had to play with the sensor a little to get it to come on when I wanted and not when I didn't but now works fine. 4 years and running. Below is link to basically same product I used from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Cor...%2C330&sr=8-11
SoCal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:54 AM   #4

Thank you Socal3 i will look into that
Aste455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:57 AM   #5

Switch Panel Illumination

We have been driving a 2016 Thor Tuscany 45AT motorhome for six years. The switch panel (on the left, as you enter the coach) has always been a problem for us ... you just couldn't tell which switch did what (although two of the switches did have internal backlighting). We hung a small flashlight on a hook next to the panel and we'd use it to illuminate the switches to be sure that we activated the right one.

Recently I decided to find a better solution. I noticed that the plastic panels on either side of the switches would light up very nicely when a light source was placed behind them. The panels appeared to have been designed to be back-lighted, with labels on them adjacent to each switch.

I purchased two LED kits that were meant to be used with sewing machines, for extra illumination. The light strings had integral pushbuttons, a 70 inch length of cable with USB connectors for power and a twelve inch section of LED's (spaced 2 per inch). The kits also included small 120 VAC power adaptors with USB sockets. The LED devices were fairly inexpensive, purchased through Amazon Prime for approximately $14.00 per twin pack.

I bought some clear vinyl corner protector at an Ace Hardware, and applied some double-stick foam tape (automotive type) to one side of each segment cut to a length of thirteen inches. I pressed the corner protectors into position alongside the switch modules, so that the LED's illuminated the back side of the plastic panels (with the labels on them).

I then installed a new 120 VAC outlet inside of the cabinet and wired it up to a new duplex receptacle that I had used to replace the factory mounted receptacle on the rear wall of the same cabinet. The new outlet box was more suitable for splicing in the extra circuit to the new receptacle.

I plugged the USB power adaptors into the new receptacle and then routed the two cables so that the pushbuttons could be mounted on the outside of the cabinet for easy access. It was necessary to cut some small grooves into the cabinet side panel to let the wires pass through.

The pushbuttons can be used to dim the light from the LEDs. They do not need to be left ON all the time. It is a simple task to touch the buttons on the side of the panel to illuminate the labels. The intensity of the LEDs will return to the same value as they were the last time they were turned OFF. If brighter illumination is required, simply holding the pushbutton for a few seconds will ramp it up or down.

Several photographs are attached which will help you better understand the rambling descriptions above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	370968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1a.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	370969  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.jpg