Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tailgater on Challenger 37TB

First off, we absolutely love our new Challenger 37TB. During the PDI, the external cable connection in the Shore Power Compartment was identified. A question I didn't ask and wish I had - "How do I connect my Tailgater Sat setup with VIP 211Z receiver?". It probably wouldn't have changed what I believe I need to do now but at least I'd had an earlier input.

Okay so this is my understanding (taken from a Vegas thread). I need to split the signal from the cable input - easiest spot seems to be at the signal booster spot. Run one of the inputs to the VIP 211Z, then use a moduator on the component side of the 211Z and back to an A/B box and out to the booster. Very similar to my Georgetown but I didn't need to do the work myself. Bah Hum Bug.

Good news is, I believe I can do the mod. More good news - we really like the Challenger. First bad news, I gotta do the mod for something that IMO should have come that way. Not a huge cost (I've got all the parts from the Georgetown). Second bad news, I called Thor Customer Service. Asked the rep for the info,he finally found it. Said I'd have to take the panel off - etc. Then when I said "wow, that doesn't make much sense", the rep said "lots of stuff here doesn't make sense". HUH. These folks are the face of Thor for us folks that buy spend well over $100,000 for our home or second home on wheels. NOT GOOD.

Anyways, can someone confirm my approach to the satellite install?

Thanks.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you do any mod, it is worth checking to see if your Challenger has what Thor calls "SAT Prep".
This is usually a dedicated set of coax cables to join the reciever to an antenna...one cable is sent up into the roof and hidden inside the roof under a fake/unused plumbing vent...the second cable runs to a bin and looks much like the campground cable jack.

The first thing to check is the wires in the main TV entertainment console. If there are cables there that are different from the Over The Air cable from the selector box or BatWing, that's where to start.

If there are no existing wires, it is not hard to add one. The Tailgater only needs one Coax between the receiver and the Tailgater. It can be one piece with the excess coiled into the bin where it enters the coach, or it can end with a jack like the campground TV line.

If intent on using using the original campground TV line, your description sounds correct, just be sure to pull the raw SAT signal off the wire before it enters any switch or amp, because that can cause a problem with the signal. If using a splitter or A/B switch to pull the signal off the line, ensure it is a simple device with no circuitry like amps or auto switches.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:25 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Before you do any mod, it is worth checking to see if your Challenger has what Thor calls "SAT Prep".
This is usually a dedicated set of coax cables to join the reciever to an antenna...one cable is sent up into the roof and hidden inside the roof under a fake/unused plumbing vent...the second cable runs to a bin and looks much like the campground cable jack.

The first thing to check is the wires in the main TV entertainment console. If there are cables there that are different from the Over The Air cable from the selector box or BatWing, that's where to start.

If there are no existing wires, it is not hard to add one. The Tailgater only needs one Coax between the receiver and the Tailgater. It can be one piece with the excess coiled into the bin where it enters the coach, or it can end with a jack like the campground TV line.

If intent on using using the original campground TV line, your description sounds correct, just be sure to pull the raw SAT signal off the wire before it enters any switch or amp, because that can cause a problem with the signal. If using a splitter or A/B switch to pull the signal off the line, ensure it is a simple device with no circuitry like amps or auto switches.

Best luck
Thank you. I'll check for the separate input. As you eluded too, the main issue is getting my input to the receiver then back into the TV cable circuit.

Thanks again for the followup.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:58 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not familiar with the 37TB but on my 37GT setting up for a Tailgater is simple. Just locate the other end of the coax from the wet bay and connect it to an A/B Switch, with one output going to the existing terminal and the other going to the 211Z input. Just select A or B for campground cable or satellite. Using splitters with the Tailgater can cause problems since the 211Z sends a 12 volt control signal down the coax.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tailgater Update

Not a big deal - to rewire to accomodate the VIP 211Z receiver but I had to take the entire panel out. That is the 110V receptacle and the signal booster. Then a little trial and error to get the feed cabling correct. Not a huge deal but still a pain for something that ought to be easier.

Thanks all.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #6

Tailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Best luck
This sounds like my setup in my 2009 Damon Daybreak. I've been trying to figure out how to connect my tailgater without having to run the cable through an open window. There is a coax jack in the front storage bin (passenger side) and also a double jack in the overhead storage bin above the drivers seat. This one is marked "Satellite in" and "Satellite out." The only problem I have is that the dish receiver has only an HDMI port to connect it to the TV and the switch box in the coach has only coax connections. I understand an HDMI to coax converter will not work (and doesn't exist), so I need to figure out how to connect the receiver. I can plug it directly into the back of the TV but then I have issues with the cable from the dish receiver. Any advice?
deebee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebee1 View Post
This sounds like my setup in my 2009 Damon Daybreak. I've been trying to figure out how to connect my tailgater without having to run the cable through an open window. There is a coax jack in the front storage bin (passenger side) and also a double jack in the overhead storage bin above the drivers seat. This one is marked "Satellite in" and "Satellite out." The only problem I have is that the dish receiver has only an HDMI port to connect it to the TV and the switch box in the coach has only coax connections. I understand an HDMI to coax converter will not work (and doesn't exist), so I need to figure out how to connect the receiver. I can plug it directly into the back of the TV but then I have issues with the cable from the dish receiver. Any advice?
SAT-in "should" be the RAW SAT feed from the antenna. SAT-out "should" be the coax going to the switch box.

What receiver do you have?
211Z (top photo) has HDMI and RCA Composite (SD).
211k (bottom) has HDMI, RCA Component (HD), RCA Composite (SD), and RF Coax Channel 3/4 (SD):
Click image for larger version

Name:	211z-back-diagram-lg.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	124835

Click image for larger version

Name:	dish_tailgater_vip211k.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	124836

If you have a DVD connection on the switch box, connect the "Composite" (3 wires - Video + Audio L/R) output, to the the DVD input on the switch box...but sadly, that's Standard Definition TV only.

To feed HighDef to any TV's, there needs to be a High Def path (that's HDMI wired or wireless or a Component {5 wires} cable set). We added a HDMI cable feed to the (new) main 40" TV. The smaller TV's in the RV don't really benefit much from HDMI, so they just get fed SD from the SAT.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
What receiver do you have? 211Z (top photo) has HDMI and RCA Component - 211k (bottom) has HDMI, RCA Component (HD), RCA Composite (SD), and RF Coax Channel 3/4 (SD):
Attachment 124835

Attachment 124836

If you have a DVD connection on the switch box, connect the "Composite" (3 wires - Video + Audio L/R) output, to the the DVD input on the switch box...but sadly, that's Standard Definition TV only.

To feed HighDef to any TV's, there needs to be a
High Def path (that's HDMI wired or wireless or a Component {5 wires} cable set). We added a HDMI cable feed to the (new) main 40" TV. The smaller TV's in the RV don't really benefit much from HDMI, so they just get fed SD from the SAT.

Best luck
I have the 211Z and there is a DVD composite connection on the switchbox. I am not so concerned right now about HD as I am about having a better hookup. I may look into a wireless HDMI later.
My still unresolved issue is where do I connect the coax from the DISH receiver to the coach? There are two external cable jacks on the unit - one inside the electric plug storage bin and the other inside the front bin on the passenger side. I have used the back one for cable hookups and it works for that but I have never used the front one. Do either of these jacks lead to the "SAT in" jack inside the coach? If not, is there a way to connect to the SAT in jack without having to run the cable through an open window? The schematics in the owner's manual don't help much here.
deebee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
deebee1 - on our 37TB, we use the connection in the rear electrical connection box. It runs through to the connection above the living room TV. I took the advice about making sure I used a 1 to 2 splitter specific to satellite cabling. I did and it go rid of most of the noise in the signal.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deebee1 View Post
I have the 211Z and there is a DVD composite connection on the switchbox. I am not so concerned right now about HD as I am about having a better hookup. I may look into a wireless HDMI later.
My still unresolved issue is where do I connect the coax from the DISH receiver to the coach? There are two external cable jacks on the unit - one inside the electric plug storage bin and the other inside the front bin on the passenger side. I have used the back one for cable hookups and it works for that but I have never used the front one. Do either of these jacks lead to the "SAT in" jack inside the coach? If not, is there a way to connect to the SAT in jack without having to run the cable through an open window? The schematics in the owner's manual don't help much here.
Yes, the coax jack in the front bin "should" be a coax run to the "SAT-in" jack where the SAT receiver goes.

The jack that is in the electrical bin (as you found) is a coax run to the switch (distribution) box to bring campground cable into the coach...keeping these two systems separate keeps things simple.

We use a wireless HDMI extender in the studs and stucco...works pretty good, but is not cheap. So that is an option over running a cable.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #11

still confused on how to hookup portable sat and dish receiver

Bdickson, what is wet bay that you are speaking of? we have a TL and not sure where to start to hookup our portable sat and 211Z dish receiver.
thefails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:05 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
thefails - not sure what type of RV you have, cannot tell by the TL? In general, use whatever connection that you use for your cable TV in for your rig. Once you have connected the line from you Tailgater to your rig, where ever your lead goes inside your coach, you must connect your satellite receiver. If you are using the VIP211Z receiver, you will have two output options. First is an HDMI connection; the second is the RED, White, Yellow (composite) output. If you have HDMI in your rig, connect the HDMI out into your system and it is done. IF!!! you do not have HDMI the alternative is to use a Composite to Coaxial modulator/converter (i.e., https://www.amazon.com/Modulator-Swi...30SEMZNCP9RBEZ) This choice will allow you connect the feed directly into your coaches TV system.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
thefails - not sure what type of RV you have, cannot tell by the TL? In general, use whatever connection that you use for your cable TV in for your rig. Once you have connected the line from you Tailgater to your rig, where ever your lead goes inside your coach, you must connect your satellite receiver. If you are using the VIP211Z receiver, you will have two output options. First is an HDMI connection; the second is the RED, White, Yellow (composite) output. If you have HDMI in your rig, connect the HDMI out into your system and it is done. IF!!! you do not have HDMI the alternative is to use a Composite to Coaxial modulator/converter (i.e., https://www.amazon.com/Modulator-Swi...30SEMZNCP9RBEZ) This choice will allow you connect the feed directly into your coaches TV system.
bigben.. thanks for the info. We actually the Thor Challenger.. I tried using the connection for the cable for the tailgater, but the end for the cable goes directly into the tv.. I guess I need to put a 1/2 splitter it to allow it to feed to the back of the receiver and the TV, then have the hdmi from the receiver to the TV?
thefails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
thefails - I looked up your coach (sorry I didn't recognize the TL). Inside you have a TV in the living room and the bed room. You should also have a switch that amplifies the signal from you roof mounted antenna. In my 37TB, that is where the antenna feed comes in and you are correct that is where you will need to put in a splitter. Make sure when you put the splitter in that use one specifically for the satellite receiver. As I learned, the small current that is sent to the tailgater antenna (to power the auto dish) will also feed into the cable antenna screwing up the picture.

Hope this helps!!