Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

This could be the answer to your slide problems

After reading numerous threads about slide problems and also reading about extra, loose screws, I decided to do some research on my Palazzo(new)! I took a flashlight and a magnets screwdriver and ran it UNDER the rubber slideout inside, this is what I found(see photo). If one or two of these guys get under your heavy steel rollers than your gonna have trouble with the slide outs...and these little screws are everywhere under there...just waiting to roll under your rollers and do damage! I'm not saying it's the answer to all slide out issues/problems...but it sure is worth taking 20 minutes and cleaning all loose debre from there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131102_135728.png
Views:	341
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	49109
Palazzoteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now that is a lot of debris! I had a slide problem which is worth passing on for anyone that has Schwintek slides. I know Thor uses them extensively. One slide was going bump bump bump as it went in and out. The dealer found that the metal plates on the underside of the slide were installed in the wrong place. The bumping was the rollers hitting the screw heads instead of tracking in the middle of the plate. They were able to unscrew and move the plates to fix the problem. It is very easy to check: just look under the slide when it is extended and some of the plate will be exposed. You should be able to see the roller track mark, which should be down the middle of the plate.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Good Grief!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

I am not clear on where you looked....more details please! if you found that much stuff I want to check out our slide too!
Bobcat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #5

Debris Under Slide

Amazing timing. Yesterday I used a long under appliance duster to go under my slide. I found 4 screws, some tie wraps, wire, staples, sawdust and other junk. This cleaning was prompted by finding 2 round hole saw "plugs" under the slide last time we used it. The plugs are the size of the ceiling lights. Hard to imagine assembly people hole sawing the ceiling during assembly.
Sorry, no pictures.

My duster may not have gotten all ferrous material, the magnet would not get the non-ferrous. I'm going to do it again with a magnet.
My slide has been working fine, but I worry. Perhaps if Thor worried more, they would have cleaned it.
Indianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat12 View Post
I am not clear on where you looked....more details please! if you found that much stuff I want to check out our slide too!
The rubber 2 inch black flap at your feet in the kitchen area, lift it up and view at ground level....lots of stuff under there! Tell us what you find after doing so
Old 11-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoteam View Post
After reading numerous threads about slide problems and also reading about extra, loose screws, I decided to do some research on my Palazzo(new)! I took a flashlight and a magnets screwdriver and ran it UNDER the rubber slideout inside, this is what I found(see photo). If one or two of these guys get under your heavy steel rollers than your gonna have trouble with the slide outs...and these little screws are everywhere under there...just waiting to roll under your rollers and do damage! I'm not saying it's the answer to all slide out issues/problems...but it sure is worth taking 20 minutes and cleaning all loose debre from there.

Attachment 49109
Why not send the picture to Tom Overton and/or several others at Thor ?
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post

Why not send the picture to Tom Overton and/or several others at Thor ?
My understanding is that a few Thor reps review(monitor)and watch over this sight? This is what I was explained by Thor(they also are a site sponsor as well), anyone know more?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #9

I looked under my large slide and found virtually no debris. There was one small brad which is too small to cause a problem. It must depend on who the assembler was or how much they hurried. There is no excuse for allowing substandard work on even a fraction of the MHs.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #10

Good thing doctors don't work like that!! "Oh, that clamp? Yeah, I didn't feel like picking it up so I just left it inside you"............. Nice huh?????
I would be mortified to put out a product like that!!
Thor should be ashamed!!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Good thing doctors don't work like that!! "Oh, that clamp? Yeah, I didn't feel like picking it up so I just left it inside you"............. Nice huh?????
I would be mortified to put out a product like that!!
Thor should be ashamed!!

Google "medical errors" - the medical field refers to errors as "adverse events" - One out of 3 patients experience some kind of adverse event-- i.e., nosocomial infections, surgical errors, medication errors, etc.
Ninety percent (90%) of all hospital mistakes go unreported. Hospitals have actively opposed public disclosure.

Yes, Thor needs to improve on quality control !
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #12

So I'm very new to this thing called a MH. 2004 Damon Challenger bought last week. I don't understand a couple things. I have carpet on the floor if I put the slide out most all the floor is exposed. Is the small part that is not exposed where your doing the magnet and finding all that? Can this also be checked from the outside?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
While installing an inverter recently in my MH, I had most of the drawers and low cabinets open or removed and found debris all thru it. Screws, wood, plastic of various sorts. It kinda shows that these things are put together as fast as possible and don't waste time cleaning up after yourself. It's not so much a reflection of the worker either but management allowing this stuff to happen. No profit in being tidy I guess.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #14

Yes, look under your slide out from inside with your slide outs in out position! (Can Not do this from outside the coach) take flashlight and view under...if you can't see...use a long screwdriver or something else to capture any remains. Good luck, it's easy and well worth the 20 minutes it takes(could save a bunch of headaches later)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgrey View Post
So I'm very new to this thing called a MH. 2004 Damon Challenger bought last week. I don't understand a couple things. I have carpet on the floor if I put the slide out most all the floor is exposed. Is the small part that is not exposed where your doing the magnet and finding all that? Can this also be checked from the outside?

Tags
slide, slide out, slide out motor, slide out problems