Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Thor ACE 29.2 Battery disconnect switch

We just purchased a new ACE, this is our first motorhome, my question is should the Battery disconnect switch be off or on when traveling on the road? Does this affect charging the coach batteries if it is off when driving or is it just the shore 30 amps and generator that charge the coach batteries?
jdimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Battery Disconnect inside the door should be on when driving to allow the motor alternator to charge the coach batteries. It also provides 12v DC power to turn on your lights, water pump (for the john) and run your furnace and other appliances if needed. Just remember to turn it off when the MH is not in use for a longer period of time.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

I'm a newbie so here is another stupid question, should the Battery Disconnect be on when camping and the shore 30 amps is plugged into the outlet at the camp site? Does this being plugged in also charge the coach batteries?
jdimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the Battery Disconnect should be on any time that you are using anything in the MH. When attached to shore power or when the generator is running, the inverter will also charge your coach batteries. However, the generator should never be run at the same time that you are attached to shore power. The ACE inverter circuitry will charge the coach batteries and then go to "trickle" so that they are not overcharged.

Welcome to the Forum and don't be afraid to ask any question (though if you search through the forum, you will probably already find an answer to many of them).
Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #5

Our new ACE batteries are not charging. The switch is on. Stopped by camping world and they said we might need to jump off the battery but they would not assist. They wanted us to pay for the service even though we were under warranty and have the $$$$extended warranty. Said they were not our place of purchase so we go to the end of the list and wait about 3 days. We are on a trip and the generator is working so we run it while on the road so for the frig.
Has anyone had that happen and had success with a jump.
Bacoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacoats View Post
Our new ACE batteries are not charging. The switch is on. Stopped by camping world and they said we might need to jump off the battery but they would not assist. They wanted us to pay for the service even though we were under warranty and have the $$$$extended warranty. Said they were not our place of purchase so we go to the end of the list and wait about 3 days. We are on a trip and the generator is working so we run it while on the road so for the frig.
Not clear if you merely did not purchase at that particular CW, or another dealer altogether. But if you purchased at any CW that 'wait 3 days' should be total BS according to what CW told us at time of purchase. In fact, we were told we'd be put 1st in line if we were 'on the road' when a problem occurred, and in buying the MH we were also automatically enrolled as CW's Elite members club with added bennies. I would complain to Good Sam directly (assuming your extended contract was with GS). One caveat, your ex. svc. plan may only kick in after the manuf. warranty - in that case I'd likely seek redress with the CW manager. Exasperating sometimes, the treatment after purchase, & they get away with it!! Which GS was it? If you wish to share - understand if you don't. Wish You the best of GOOD LUCK!
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwind View Post
Not clear if you merely did not purchase at that particular CW, or another dealer altogether. But if you purchased at any CW that 'wait 3 days' should be total BS according to what CW told us at time of purchase. In fact, we were told we'd be put 1st in line if we were 'on the road' when a problem occurred, and in buying the MH we were also automatically enrolled as CW's Elite members club with added bennies. I would complain to Good Sam directly (assuming your extended contract was with GS). One caveat, your ex. svc. plan may only kick in after the manuf. warranty - in that case I'd likely seek redress with the CW manager. Exasperating sometimes, the treatment after purchase, & they get away with it!! Which GS was it? If you wish to share - understand if you don't. Wish You the best of GOOD LUCK!
I did purchase at good Sam and did purchase the extended warranty. We are Elite for 3 years. The camping world in Tallahassee was the one that would not help us. MIT would have taken ten minutes to check the battery and give us a jump. In stead we purchased a charger and tried ourselves with no luck. We head back to our cw in Robertsdale on Monday on our way with our trip and hope to resolve this and get the facts about service.
Bacoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
I did purchase at good Sam and did purchase the extended warranty. We are Elite for 3 years. The camping world in Tallahassee was the one that would not help us. MIT would have taken ten minutes to check the battery and give us a jump. In stead we purchased a charger and tried ourselves with no luck. We head back to our cw in Robertsdale on Monday on our way with our trip and hope to resolve this and get the facts about service.
1st off, I meant CW not GS as purchase point - my goof. Anyway, sounds like you have the GS ext. warranty, & regardless (since CW & GS are married organizations) I think I would look into voicing concerns directly to GS's head guy Mr. Lemonis (sp??) as I believe he, and/or staff, is very open to input from customers. Maybe go to GS's web site? Good luck!
millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
Thor ACE 29.2 Battery disconnect switch

Quote:

Call Thor directly.

They have Technicians that will help you under their warranty. They can also help to get a repair scheduled for you.

Now, in regard to the batteries not charging, I assume you mean the house batteries, not the coach battery (for starting the engine). If so, you may find that the main house battery fuse has flipped. You will most likely find this fuse in the same area where the house batteries are located. Mine is directly behind the batteries. It is not one of the fuses in the fuse box where most of the appliance fuses are located. It should be hooked into the battery cable and usually attached to the chassis frame. This fuse has a little switch that is most likely at the bottom edge of the fuse. You may need to feel for it versus see it, at least on mine you would need to be under it to see the switch. Once you locate it, simply push the little arm up so that it clicks back in place.

If that is the problem, the batteries should start charging with the engine running. The generator may not start until the house batteries are charged. Be sure that the house battery disconnect switch is set so that the batteries are not disconnected (as the OP was asking about). The disconnect switch should not be set to disconnect the batteries under normal use, just when you are not using the coach as when going into storage for the winter.

Assuming that main fuse is the issue, which it sounds like it is to me, then it will amaze you at the difference after it is reset. After the batteries are charged. An example, you may have had the inverter alarm saying that there is a low battery. So you have been running the generator to keep the refrigerator running, etc. Once you reset that fuse, and the batteries get charged, you should not have that situation happen unless you stop and are running appliances off the inverter for too long without shore power or the generator running.

I hope this information helps.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, thor