Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Unhappy Thor ACE 29.2 Macerator Pump Issues

We have had our Ace for only 2 months and have blown 2 macerator pumps already. Two trips and 2 pumps. Not a good ratio. We have followed all the preventive stuff, only RV/Marine toilet paper, followed manufacturer and dealer instructions and still had to end our recent memorial day vacation for another blown macerator pump. Is anyone having the same issues or have any suggestions on what may be going on? We love our coach but not having reliable septic systems kinda makes RVing a bit of a drag. We kinda envy the RVers that have traditional septic systems that depend on gravity. Help us! We really want to do more RVing this summer!
Iguevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguevara View Post
We have had our Ace for only 2 months and have blown 2 macerator pumps already. Two trips and 2 pumps. Not a good ratio. We have followed all the preventive stuff, only RV/Marine toilet paper, followed manufacturer and dealer instructions and still had to end our recent memorial day vacation for another blown macerator pump. Is anyone having the same issues or have any suggestions on what may be going on? We love our coach but not having reliable septic systems kinda makes RVing a bit of a drag. We kinda envy the RVers that have traditional septic systems that depend on gravity. Help us! We really want to do more RVing this summer!
I haven't had any issues. Perhaps you are running it dry too long and burning them up. You should try not to run them dry. You can easily transform your system to a traditional system by disconnecting the 4inch hose from the macerator. Only issue is its on the wrong side but you could get around that by pulling in backwards, and you would need someone to open the tanks from the drivers side. I've only had mine for a month but no issues yet. Dump black then gray and plenty of water. I will say the pump doesn't sound great while it's running. Hope things improve...
Harlee79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

One other thought, if you are trying to get the gray tank completely dry it's not always possible. The sensor is even with the drain so youll almost never get it to read empty unless the coach is leaning just right, multiple folks have reported this.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I've used my Sani-Con system for over 5 years without any major pump problems. I've had to replace the rubber vane rotor once but that was after over 4 years of constant use. I like it much better than the stinky slinky cause it's much easier to use. But that's just my opinion.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Fuse problems with the macerator

My macerator has been working ok, but it blows fuses like crazy! I've owned it since April, & love the ACE, but can't find info on the fuses or the macerator itself. It's as though 15 amps just won't do the trick.

I did leave a message (today) for Thor, as my dealer suggests I look in the owners' manual... It's not there!

Any ideas?

Thanks
XProfPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #6

I didn't receive any documentation on the macerator either. I think your best bet is to talk to thor and atleast get the manufacturer contact info. Thor isn't alot of help but they do have all the manufacturer contact numbers. Luckily i havn't had any issue with the macerator yet, other than being slow to empty the last of the grey tank.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #7

I've used my pump only 3 times and have not had any issues at all.

I pump the black water until i hear it go higher in pitch and then shut down, change the pull valves to the grey water, and pump until the higher pitch returns. done.

If that thing fails on me, i'm upgrading it to something stupid large. I don't like the water pump on the home. I think it is seriously too small. If that thing burns out, i'm upgrading it too.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Thumbs up Got some help from Thor!

Mr. Sauer got back to me quickly with some info. He sent a full schematic for the 29.2, along with specifics on what each fuse deals with. I noticed that the macerator fuse was listed in #9, with an empty slot in #6. That "empty" fuse slot is what was going out when the macerator quit. Further, on the schematic, the fuse was listed at 20 amps, while my installed fuse in slot 6 was a 15 amp. I think someone basically miswired the box, so I'm going to check out the other fuses and compare them to the provided schematics.

If anyone would like to get that schematic file, e-mail me & I can attach it on a reply.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #9

Hello XProfPete,

Read on the forum where you have a schematic file for the 29.2. I would be interested in a copy. Please send to dellago18@aol.com

Thank You,
Ronnie & Mary Jane
txrmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by XProfPete View Post
Mr. Sauer got back to me quickly with some info. He sent a full schematic for the 29.2, along with specifics on what each fuse deals with. I noticed that the macerator fuse was listed in #9, with an empty slot in #6. That "empty" fuse slot is what was going out when the macerator quit. Further, on the schematic, the fuse was listed at 20 amps, while my installed fuse in slot 6 was a 15 amp. I think someone basically miswired the box, so I'm going to check out the other fuses and compare them to the provided schematics.

If anyone would like to get that schematic file, e-mail me & I can attach it on a reply.
Just fyi, on my ACE 29.1, the 12v fuse panel on the Converter box was not labelled at all, and the labels on the 120v breakers were all wrong.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:

I would be interested in a copy. Please send to dlavoie98@hotmail.com
I also own a 29.2 ACE 2012. Daniel Quebec, Canada Thank you
dlavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Unhappy

An update on our macerator: Now, as with some of you, our macerator has died. Went to the dealer (with a full black tank, and a partially full grey tank) and was told that they couldn't deal with it this week. They did explain how to bypass the macerator system and use a gravity drain to clean out the system until I could get the system fixed. They also provided a sewer hose which I switched out with the short hose from the tanks to the macerator. It wasn't just great, but it worked without teaching myself too many new expletives to delete.

The mech did suggest that a way to protect the macerator is to start it very briefly before pulling the black tank release. He said that that will give the unit a chance to get a head start before and #$% hits the fan.

Any of you want a description of how to set up an emergency gravity feed, let me know. It ain't purty, but not as bad as it could be.

Happy Trails~!
Old 09-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
An update on our macerator: Now, as with some of you, our macerator has died. Went to the dealer (with a full black tank, and a partially full grey tank) and was told that they couldn't deal with it this week. They did explain how to bypass the macerator system and use a gravity drain to clean out the system until I could get the system fixed. They also provided a sewer hose which I switched out with the short hose from the tanks to the macerator. It wasn't just great, but it worked without teaching myself too many new expletives to delete.

The mech did suggest that a way to protect the macerator is to start it very briefly before pulling the black tank release. He said that that will give the unit a chance to get a head start before and #$% hits the fan.

Any of you want a description of how to set up an emergency gravity feed, let me know. It ain't purty, but not as bad as it could be.

Happy Trails~!
I assume the 29.2 has a macerator pump is because the black tank is on the opposite side to the 29.1. Is there any way to run a slinky pipe across the underside and put a gate valve and hose adapter on it?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #14

A few weeks ago, i too was hit with blown fuses while using the pump. I popped 2- 15amp fuses trying to pump out full tanks. After the second fuse, i noticed that the pump was rated for 20 amps. Put in a 20amp fuse and the problem went away.

This go around I drank a few more beers and experimented with the pump. If I pump out a full tank of clean water by itself, the pump runs fine on a 15 amp fuse. If i throw a bunch of toilet paper in the tank and fill it up with water, it pops 15 amp fuses under load while chewing up the toilet paper. Under normal circumstances, the paper should dissolve along with any poo once the magic minty fresh RV tank solution does it's job breaking everything down. However, a 20 amp fuse is required to handle any macerator functions.

The fact that many of us have the wrong fuse in our panel is surely a quality control problem.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor