RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #1

THOR ACE 30.2 or any ACE owners

Wanted to start a thread to troubleshoot, show off, and compare for ACE owners. Doesn't have to be the 30.2. I know I have a million questions for other ACE owners.

robertsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #2

I own a 2014 Ace 30.2. I have had it for a couple years. Any questions you might have I’m glad to answer.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #3

Mike!!

Whoa you sure. I got a whole list. I'm a seasoned C class owner that has upgraded and know some about this motorhome, but man there is so much more. 2016 30.2 Ace 30 amp single AC.
1. Batteries are not charging while on shore power. Where is the solenoid located in the ace?
2. Is your toilet like ours? Literally will plug with just the smallest of toilet paper. We carry a plunger. I think it does a 90 almost immediately after the valve door. Remedies? Build up the platform for the toilet?
3. 2nd year the slides seem off a little (partly noticed because of the battery issue) Going to try the THOR recommendation to realign. It doesn't want to open or close on the first go.
4. Best tire pressure gauge? If ever you have time I'll have to tell you about my low tire incident.
5. Best upgrades for the ACE?
6. Driver seat feels like it's leaning right even though the cushion is not worn and floor appears stable.
7. Remote for the head unit? I need to find if i can just buy the remote. I do not want to be leaning over for anything on the radio.
8. Upgrades? Air suspension?Sway bars?Better Grill?
9. Wiper blades? I think you'll figure this one out.
10. Roof looks great, did you upgrade anything on it? is it also best to keep putting dicor over the old stuff or completely remove? I'm afraid of causing more damage by removing.
11. What have been your fixes or parts that have failed.
12. The cable connection from the outside does nothing, when connecting a cable to it. I'm guessing I need a HD converter?
13. THE SHOWER- Soo. Leak, and not from the drain. very corner of wall from fridge and door. I've check everything and finally concluded the the way they installed the shower pan and shroud left a much bigger gap on one side of the shower causing water to run down like a channel and and run off in the gap behind. I tried everything, and I know that gap should be their for air, but I finally caulked it because nothing else was working unless a pull the whole thing.
14. Your winterizing tips and tricks. I think i do overkill, but the last owner didn't know anything about winterizing and I had to replace a lot of plumbing.
15. If ever I get a crack in the windshield, how expensive is it the front windshield? AAA RV? Insurance? Has this ever happened to you and has the AAA or insurance hassled you due to price?
16. I wash after every trip?? Have you detailed or had to buff the fiberglass and what are your recommendations?

That's all I could think of right now. Since I'm in Washington and we're still pretty much on lockdown, I've had a lot of time to think of some of these questions. Thanks for what you can answer.

Ryan
Old 05-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #4

one more!

Spare tire?! I want to add one? Where is the best spot? I saw that one that connects to the bumper and helps you lower it with a handle? I've been really thinking about that one.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-19...762314&sr=8-21
Old 05-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsonr View Post
Whoa you sure. I got a whole list. I'm a seasoned C class owner that has upgraded and know some about this motorhome, but man there is so much more. 2016 30.2 Ace 30 amp single AC.
1. Batteries are not charging while on shore power. Where is the solenoid located in the ace?

Check the battery disconnect switch. Occasionally I have to turn it on and off a couple times to be sure. I do have twin boys that are 4 so not sure if thatís Thorís fault haha.
2. Is your toilet like ours? Literally will plug with just the smallest of toilet paper. We carry a plunger. I think it does a 90 almost immediately after the valve door. Remedies? Build up the platform for the toilet?

My toilet has clogged not often. My toilet was replaced 2 years ago when we bought it. I do believe the bend of pipe might cause it to clog occasionally. Problems happened only twice.
3. 2nd year the slides seem off a little (partly noticed because of the battery issue) Going to try the THOR recommendation to realign. It doesn't want to open or close on the first go.

Try realign. We havenít had slide issues other than the slide trim seal piece was falling off. We had it fixed when we bought it and no problems since.
4. Best tire pressure gauge? If ever you have time I'll have to tell you about my low tire incident.

I donít have one. I typically have oil changed prior to big trip and other than that visually inspect prior to local trips.
5. Best upgrades for the ACE? Cheap handling fix is a huge improvement in handling.
6. Driver seat feels like it's leaning right even though the cushion is not worn and floor appears stable.

Not sure mine seems fine. Put level on it and see if itís level.
7. Remote for the head unit? I need to find if i can just buy the remote. I do not want to be leaning over for anything on the radio. I saw they have one available I havenít purchased. Try amazon or call jenson.
8. Upgrades? Air suspension?Sway bars?Better Grill? See cheap handling fix above. Solved all issues.
9. Wiper blades? I think you'll figure this one out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used one 32 and one 30.

10. Roof looks great, did you upgrade anything on it? is it also best to keep putting dicor over the old stuff or completely remove? I'm afraid of causing more damage by removing.

I had camping world last winter strip and reseal roof with dicor. Mine was terrible. Iím glad they did it. They also recaulked the sides.
11. What have been your fixes or parts that have failed.
Steps were splitting and falling down through coach and slide trim was falling off when we bought coach. Independent rv dealer fixed them no issues since.

Bolt failed where steps retract. Other than that a latch on a drawer failed. Easy stuff.

Well toilet and water pump also failed.
12. The cable connection from the outside does nothing, when connecting a cable to it. I'm guessing I need a HD converter?

Iíve never used mine so I donít know. Previous owner had satellite so I think or hope it works....
13. THE SHOWER- Soo. Leak, and not from the drain. very corner of wall from fridge and door. I've check everything and finally concluded the the way they installed the shower pan and shroud left a much bigger gap on one side of the shower causing water to run down like a channel and and run off in the gap behind. I tried everything, and I know that gap should be their for air, but I finally caulked it because nothing else was working unless a pull the whole thing.

Previous owner notes show they repaired my shower for similar issue. Not sure exactly what they did.
14. Your winterizing tips and tricks. I think i do overkill, but the last owner didn't know anything about winterizing and I had to replace a lot of plumbing.

Dump fresh water tank and pull lever for pipes to drain. Then blow out lines. Dump antifreeze into drain pipes liberally.
15. If ever I get a crack in the windshield, how expensive is it the front windshield? AAA RV? Insurance? Has this ever happened to you and has the AAA or insurance hassled you due to price?

Never had this issue.
16. I wash after every trip?? Have you detailed or had to buff the fiberglass and what are your recommendations?

Major oxidation issue. Had it detailed and two sides came back. I used this product from amazon for the remaining and it worked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's all I could think of right now. Since I'm in Washington and we're still pretty much on lockdown, I've had a lot of time to think of some of these questions. Thanks for what you can answer.

Ryan

Inserted answers into quote. Ace has been a good value. I did upgrade batteries to 3 12 volt size 31 from Sams club. Sams deep cycle batteries are on sale with good discount in March every year. Savings is worth membership.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:07 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsonr View Post
Wanted to start a thread to troubleshoot, show off, and compare for ACE owners. Doesn't have to be the 30.2. I know I have a million questions for other ACE owners.

Glad to hear from other ACE owners. I purchased my 30.3 new in Feb 2017. Really liked the floor plan and overall size of the 30.3.
After 3+ years of ownership and nearly 25 thousand miles of travels. I would likely purchase the same coach again. I have kept a list of all alterations/ improvements I have made, it is attached. As far as problems go there have been only a few. Easily taken care of by myself with the exception of one warranty repair on automatic entry step. I keep in indoor storage when not in use and it still looks great. It flat tows a 4000# Jeep with ease, and handles better than average in the wind. Have traveled up to 650 miles a day on longer trips with no driver fatigue in moderate wind conditions. The 18k chassis handles best when water and fuel tanks are 1/2 full or more and towing the Jeep. Well hereís the list, I probably spent about $6k on all items.
Sorry had to take photos of list and attach, as I cannot seem to attach my iPhone notes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5158.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	285955Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5159.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	285956Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5160.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	189.7 KB