Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

Thor ACE awning

The awning on my ACE is basically perpendicular to the vehicle. Most awnings I see are at an angle - like a roof. Do all ACE's have awnings that are parallel with the ground?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know about the ACE, but I have a 2011 Serrano that came with a motorized awning that was also mounted at 90 degrees to the coach sidewall. This became a real problem when camped beneath trees since it was near impossible to clear off leaves and branches when trying to close the awning. The awning manual included a section on putting a slant on the awning so I had Camping World put as much slope on the awning as was recommended. Basically they sloped the awning until there was the minimum recommended 1 " of clearance over the coach door when it was standing open. They also tipped it toward the back slightly so that if i do get some rain up there it will tend to flow toward the back.

I have a Carefree of Colorado Mirage. This awning is powered by 110 volts so your coach needs an inverter to retract the awning if you are not hooked to shore power. This awning has a manual override that allows you to retract the awning if you have no 110 power. A situation I ran into when my transfer switch shorted out and then completely melted. Anyway, to manually retract this awning you will need a long 7mm hex wrench to do it. The on-line manual for this awning has details for slanting the awning and it has details of the motor override procedure. Your awning was supposed to come with the 7mm hex wrench, mine did not.

I hope this helps.
Penguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
The awning on my ACE is basically perpendicular to the vehicle. Most awnings I see are at an angle - like a roof. Do all ACE's have awnings that are parallel with the ground?
Is your awning electric or manual? Mine is electric and when extended has enough slope that water runs off. The roller on the outer edge is probably 7 feet off the ground when extended.

Contrary to what the previous poster said, the ACE electric awning runs on 12 volts, not 120. Mine came with an emergency retract cable with 2 alligator clips on one end to attach to the battery. The other end connects to the motor on the end of the roller.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My new Thor Darbreak has a powered Carefree awning. When we got it it was also parallel to the ground with no slope. Looking at the instructions, we depressed pins on the slider arms to set the slope. Believe there were 4 different settings/holes in the arms. Recommend you look at your instructions that came with the coach, as I'm sure you can adjust the slope.
gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
My ACE awning also has good slope when extended. They must have changed it on the 29.2 models. I do carry a small electric blower to blow the leaves off before I retract it.
Towertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #6

Ours has some pitch away from the rv, but there are no adjustment holes on ours...
It is a carefree powered one, 12V.

If not for the window over the door, it should be mounted a foot or so lower as to help with shade, in my opinion.
Tv Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

I never thought of looking in the owners' manual! The awning is easily adjustable. It has six holes about an inch apart on each arm. You can even adjust each arm differently to make water run off to one side or the other. We've only had the rig for two weeks and this is our first time camping with any RV. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #8

How low can you adjust it to? Low enough to reach up and touch the awning?

I have to stand on something to hang our trailer trash lights on the awning clips.
Tv Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #9

LOL I had to stand on a picnic table to reach the adjusting holes. I only lowered it two notches and I'm not even close to being able to reach it. There are three more notches, but I don't think that will be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tv Boy View Post

I have to stand on something to hang our trailer trash lights on the awning clips.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin
LOL I had to stand on a picnic table to reach the adjusting holes. I only lowered it two notches and I'm not even close to being able to reach it. There are three more notches, but I don't think that will be enough.
Is your awning electric or manual? I think the manual awnings are adjustable but the electric ones are not.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Is your awning electric or manual? I think the manual awnings are adjustable but the electric ones are not.
It's electric and it's adjustable.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
It's electric and it's adjustable.
Aha! You have a 29.2 and I have a 29.1. Sounds like the electric awnings are different. I have been all over mine and there are no adjustment holes that I can see.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tv Boy

I finally got a chance today to roll out the awning and see how low it is. To my surprise, on setting three out of six, I could nearly touch the front flap on the awning. I'm 6'2". I didn't have the opportunity to adjust three more settings lower, but now I think I could reach it if it were down all the way.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson
Aha! You have a 29.2 and I have a 29.1. Sounds like the electric awnings are different. I have been all over mine and there are no adjustment holes that I can see.
If you stand at the front of The RV and look at the deployed awning, the nearest arm, which slants upwards to the left, has six holes near the
point at which the piston crosses behind it. Mine came with the adjustable button in the lowest, rightmost hole. The holes on the rear support mechanism face toward the front of the RV as well. They are not easy to see.

Tags
awning, thor