Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2022, 03:05 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thor Aria Wet Basements

I am interested in a used Aria model 3901.
I have read from other posts where there was a problem with the basements having some serious leaks. I have seen a bunch of posts referring to the 2018 models. Does anyone know if the problem is just to that year?
Has a fix been discovered for this and has Thor fixed the problem?

Thanks for your inputs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #2

Would suggest if you haven't already done so, join the Facebook group "Thor Aria Owners Group". Do a search in that group, and ask the question if your search results do not provide the needed info. I have a 2019 Aria 3901 (bought new in 2018) and had plenty of basement leak issues. Fortunately, all basement leaks have been addressed along with all the basement flooring replaced with marina grade materials.
LDK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:42 AM   #3

Suggest also if not already done, join the Thor RV Forum and search/ask. App is in the Play Store.
Old 10-15-2022, 07:29 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK1 View Post
Would suggest if you haven't already done so, join the Facebook group "Thor Aria Owners Group". Do a search in that group, and ask the question if your search results do not provide the needed info. I have a 2019 Aria 3901 (bought new in 2018) and had plenty of basement leak issues. Fortunately, all basement leaks have been addressed along with all the basement flooring replaced with marina grade materials.
Thanks, have requested to join FB group.
I don't understand the flooring you replaced in the basements.
I currently have a Thor Outlaw, storage compartments are all roto cast PVC.
Old 10-15-2022, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkealey View Post
Thanks, have requested to join FB group.

I don't understand the flooring you replaced in the basements.

I currently have a Thor Outlaw, storage compartments are all roto cast PVC.
Just saw your FB post. Hopefully you get some helpful additional info.

I had the basement flooring and sidewalls replaced at the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa. I can't recall at the moment the maker of the materials they used. They did share "marine grade" which to me means the basement flooring and sidewalls will not absorb water and in turn rot.

Many fixes were performed at the factory service center to address the leaks including a LOT of sealing particularly around the wheel wells and chassis frame that goes full length through the basement, all door seals replaced, and plastic flaps added behind front wheels.

In addition to basement leaks, biggie challenge with the Aria is the slide operation. The Schwintek system has been problemsome for sooooo many, particularly the passenger side super slide. Due to many many failures of the super slide, I gave up and changed the Schwintek system for all 3 slides out with the Vroom slide system.

I love my 2019 Aria 3901, but it came new with a bunch of challenges.

Reach out if you need additional info.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:26 PM   #6

Aria

We have a 2023 Aria. To date we have driven through substantial rain and wet roads and no wetness in the basement at all nor slide problems. We had a 2016 Palazzo which did have wet basement areas but the materials and door seals are completely different in the Aria. To date, we have had NO warranty issues whatsoever. Great floorplan
Old 10-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Aria Basement

I have a 2017 Aria 3601. The original basement door seals were useless. Thor then went with a larger C flap seal that was not much better.
I replaced all my seals with an automotive seal that worked pretty good. At the Thor rally in 2019 I bought the third version Thor seal, which is a larger "bulb" type seal. I replaced all my seals again with this version and have had no issues.
I believe all new units have this seal.
Another point to look at is the sealing at the front wall of the first bay where the two main support beams pass through. I crawled under the unit and on the front side of the wall sealed the junction with Flex Seal Tape.
Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 05:55 AM   #8

What size Bulb Seal?

What size was the bulb seal that was used that has been working for you?
I have a Venetian and I also have the leaking problem. The floor was replaced once and still gets water inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishilldav View Post
I have a 2017 Aria 3601. The original basement door seals were useless. Thor then went with a larger C flap seal that was not much better.
I replaced all my seals with an automotive seal that worked pretty good. At the Thor rally in 2019 I bought the third version Thor seal, which is a larger "bulb" type seal. I replaced all my seals again with this version and have had no issues.
I believe all new units have this seal.
Another point to look at is the sealing at the front wall of the first bay where the two main support beams pass through. I crawled under the unit and on the front side of the wall sealed the junction with Flex Seal Tape.
Mikem610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:22 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Seal

The bulb is about 1.25 in in width before compressed when the door is shut.
I bought the seal from Thor parts at the Thor rally in Elkhart.
Thor now will sell parts directly to Thor Diesel Club members without going through a dealer.
In addition to this latest seal version I also lined the inside face of the basement door with a strip of neoprene rubber. I bought a roll 4 in. wide and 1/4 in thick. I put it around the circumference of the door on the inside so when the door is shut it makes contact with the bulb seal.
Lastly I adjusted the door latch shims to make sure each door shut tight.
Probably overkill, but it has worked.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem610 View Post
What size was the bulb seal that was used that has been working for you?
I have a Venetian and I also have the leaking problem. The floor was replaced once and still gets water inside.
Thanks! Looks like I’ve got some work areas! This level of detail was so helpful though! Thanks again! I’m gonna give Thor a call and see how to get these parts rolling.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:04 AM   #11

Do you have a contact with Thor Parts that you could share? Thanks again!
Old 10-23-2022, 10:25 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Thor #

I have always called: 877-855-2867.

I have been told you can order parts direct. You may need to belong to the Thor Diesel Club, I am not sure. If you do it is worth the $ so you can cut out the dealer when you need parts.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:18 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkealey View Post
I am interested in a used Aria model 3901.
I have read from other posts where there was a problem with the basements having some serious leaks. I have seen a bunch of posts referring to the 2018 models. Does anyone know if the problem is just to that year?
Has a fix been discovered for this and has Thor fixed the problem?

Thanks for your inputs.
You may need to replace the door seals with larger ones, seal openings around the corners of the bays, especially two front on curbside. Lots of good info on facebook Aria group.
sawman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:41 PM   #14

I have a 2018 3401 and I am in the middle of the repairs now. I bought the improved seals on Amazon for about $70 for 25'. It took three boxes to do all the critical doors. The right front compartment floor was rotten so it and the walls are removed and awaiting composite replacement from Thor. I have sealed and resealed the front of the transverse compartment, the frame penetrations and the right wheel splash area. The left goes into the open-bottom propane compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6824.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	385539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6838.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	385540  

ChiefBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags