Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #141

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihawk22 View Post
So I accomplished the movement of the BCC wire myself with the direction my home service department. They also said remove the coach and chasiss control panel in the motor home ( four screws ) and pull the wire off of the the switch with the green light on. Upon trying to get the panel back enough to pull the wire the whole panel came off and All of the wiring. So nothing is connected and I have no chasiss power and no idea where all of the 10 wires go now. Anyone have a wiring diagram? There is also no slack in any of the wires...thanks Thor. So I am building jumper wires so they will reach the panel. Simple fix turns into a nightmare. 2011 Hurricane 34U
I am really curious why they would have you do that... What purpose would that serve? Hmmm...
richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #142

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I pulled my control panel out 2" and looking down, here is what I have.

Chassis switch
Upper left -White
Upper right - Red
lower left- Black (2 wires)
Lower right -green

Chassis Led
Brown

Coach Led
Orange

Coach Switch
Upper Left - Blue
Upper Right - Yellow
Lower Left - Black (2 Wires)
Lower Right - Purple
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #143

Is there a better Battery Control Center module/box/device that can be installed? Does anyone know why it melts down and dies?

I would rather spend some money on a replacement module than fiddling around with jumpers, switches, diagrams, and THOR.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #144

Fleetwood Owners Club
Amen, this whole deal sounds like another Thor mess, just like the generators. Its almost like they don't know what they are doing.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
I pulled my control panel out 2" and looking down, here is what I have.

Chassis switch
Upper left -White
Upper right - Red
lower left- Black (2 wires)
Lower right -green

Chassis Led
Brown

Coach Led
Orange

Coach Switch
Upper Left - Blue
Upper Right - Yellow
Lower Left - Black (2 Wires)
Lower Right - Purple
Thank you!!!
Ihawk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
Hi Richpatty

I spoke to the engineer at the BCC manufacturer again on Friday and their suggestion is to move the wire on the post marked "Chassis Battery" to "Chassis Switched" which is what I did and it seems that everything is working the way it should in my 2011 Serrano. So that would be my suggestion.

Dennis

Isn't this the opposite from Thor's most recent update on this where they indicated that both wires should be connected to the "Chassis Battery" post??

Fred
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #147

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
Hi Richpatty

I spoke to the engineer at the BCC manufacturer again on Friday and their suggestion is to move the wire on the post marked "Chassis Battery" to "Chassis Switched" which is what I did and it seems that everything is working the way it should in my 2011 Serrano. So that would be my suggestion.

Dennis
Dennis,

Did you state that backwards? Shouldn't it be moved to Chassis Battery?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #148

I have my cables connected to the "chassis battery" past, not the "switched post". The engine now starts regardless of the position of the chassis disconnect switch. The chassis disconnect does disconnect the electric steps and the fans that blow on my windshield. I haven't determined anything else that might be disconnected by the chassis switch yet . Nor have I determined whether the house battery is being charged with the engine running yet. The dash radio has always been switched by the "coach disconnect" (though it doesn't lose time or channel memory), so that isn't a chassis battery issue. I'm not sure what else to check for the chassis disconnect. I don't like the idea of not disconnecting the chassis for storage because I don't know what parasitics may be sitting there draining the battery. I already think that radio memory I mentioned above (and maybe other stuff-I don't know) may be working on the coach battery. I may just install some heavy knife switches to really disconnect. I am really interested in hearing others' experiences with charging the coach battery as the engine is running.

My coach is a 2007 Windsport 32R.
dcmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #149

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks dcmiller, I appreciate the info. I agree that the radio time probably runs off the coach battery as I have had it been drained while in storage even as the chassis battery has been fine. I only replaced the chassis battery this past June as a precautionary task since it was the original to the rig and I didn't want to get caught on a trip with it dead. I wonder if I will get such a good life from the new one without a cutoff switch...
Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #150

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Dennis,

The revised recall instructions from THOR say everything should be connected to the "Chassis Battery" post.....unless there has been a "revision to the revision"
Old 08-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #151

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post

Dennis,

Hi All

My most humble apologies. I did get things backward. I moved the wire to Chassis Battery. I was looking at the wrong recall when I responded.

Dennis
Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #152

Thor Owners Club
Parasitic Load

All -- I did the BCC recall fix by moving the "Switched Chassis" to "Chassis Battery" post. I then checked the parasitic drain on the chassis battery and I'm getting 275 mA. That seems way high to me. (I was expecting something less than 100mA.) I've contacted Thor technical support with this information and asked if they have any thoughts on the value but have not heard back yet.

Has anyone else checked the parasitic drain after the fix? Is 275 mA too high? High enough to install a battery cutoff switch maybe? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Skip
SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #153

I did the fix to the switched chassis lug
Unplugged shore power, hit/disconnected both chassis and house disconnect switches, measured less than .05A at the chassis and the house battery main wires
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #154

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipRD View Post
All -- I did the BCC recall fix by moving the "Switched Chassis" to "Chassis Battery" post. I then checked the parasitic drain on the chassis battery and I'm getting 275 mA. That seems way high to me. (I was expecting something less than 100mA.) I've contacted Thor technical support with this information and asked if they have any thoughts on the value but have not heard back yet.

Has anyone else checked the parasitic drain after the fix? Is 275 mA too high? High enough to install a battery cutoff switch maybe? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Skip
-------------------------------------------

Check again leaving your meter hooked up in the current loop but this time wait about a minute and then check the reading again leaving the meter hooked up while you wait.
On my ACE I had a drain of 280 ma that dropped off after about 40 seconds if I remember right. I checked it several times and I got the 280 ma for just a short time and then about 30 ma or so.
Each time power is applied to the BCC ( even hooking up a meter ) something in the BCC draws some current for less that a minute.
mgheron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, recall, thor