Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #113

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So, does adding the switch between the two posts still seem to be the best solution? If so, when do you hit the switch? Only when a failure becomes evident? Is that too late? Does the switch need to be inside the Cab or can it be mounted inside the engine compartment? I don't want to drain my batteries with the switch closed when the coach is not in use, but I don't want to lose electric when driving. Can the bypass be rigged to the coach ignition somehow?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #114

A few questions...

My head is spinning trying to figure out which way is best fix...
*Thor fix 2.0
*Jumper with inline switch
*leave it as is a bit longer and hope nothing goes wrong... which leads me to the following...

Does the failure happen only when one uses the chassis disconnect switch? Then it takes a while for the battery to drain causing the loss of power? or

Does the failure just spontaneously happen causing immediate loss of power?

If the first is true, couldn't some sort of alarm be used to alert of low battery voltage?

Does the emergency start function cease to function once the BCC goes bad?

One other question? (prior to any fix) where does the red wire come from that is on the "chassis switched" post come from? The chassis battery and coach one seem obvious and house panel I would assume is from shore or generator power...
Tv Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randog View Post
Dang! That's how you tell them! You go boy, to bad nobody is listening. I have little faith that our displeasure in this company is being taken seriously over at Thor. So I wrote a letter to Nicole Short who is the new customer service vise pres at Thor motor and copied it to her boss Ron Davidson, pres of Thor motor and another copy to his boss the new CEO of Thor industries, Bob Martin. I sent everything certifide. I basically told Short that I gave Thor more than enough chances to fix this crap and I was now facilitating the repairs myself and I was requesting a billing address. We will see what happens.

Thor didn't issue this recall it was done by the National Highway Safety Division.
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
Thor didn't issue this recall it was done by the National Highway Safety Division.
My husband switched our battery cables last night in about 20-25 minutes, our disconnect switch still works along with everything else. I wasn't going to wait 6 wks for camping world to do it.
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #117

My plan is to get a side terminal battery disconnect and a short cable and install the jumper. I will leave the jumper turned off until something happens. We have yet to hear from someone who actually suffered a failure of the relay or did I miss that. It would really help to know what the root cause of the problem really is and not just the symptoms. Then we could fix the problem.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #118

On another website forum there are 2 guys who had complete power failure while driving. One also stated that the emergency start switch didn't work and another stated having to hold it while driving or it would stall...

Didn't sound like fun !!

you can google RV Custom Products fw-2050 and you should be able to find the thread.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #119

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
This BCC recall issue is frustrating enough for those of us affected by it. Can we please keep the postings constructive and contributing to a solution
Old 08-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #120

Quote:
Thanks we lost all our power while driving down the interstate in oaklaholma when we got to the shop they finally realized it was the bcc and we needed to replace the whole unit cause it was melted. What a pain this is. I will try and contact Thor with this new information
Astn713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tv Boy View Post
On another website forum there are 2 guys who had complete power failure while driving. One also stated that the emergency start switch didn't work and another stated having to hold it while driving or it would stall...

Didn't sound like fun !!

you can google RV Custom Products fw-2050 and you should be able to find the thread.
We had this problem we lost our power while driving on the interstate in oaklaholma our whole bcc unit was melted had to replace the whole thing
Astn713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #122

Just had mine done. 10 minutes, easy. 2012 Hurrincane 32A.

J&L service in Fontana, great service.

Eric
e king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #123

Did the Thor fix ( both on Chassis battery now ) nut barely fits with the two wires..
Chassis switch appears to light up and work... but with chassis off I can now start the engine. I assume this is because my solenoid is not fried.

Anyone just put a throw type switch directly on the Neg terminal of the Chassis battery? It is right in front of the engine compartment and only has the one wire on it.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #124

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tv Boy View Post
Did the Thor fix ( both on Chassis battery now ) nut barely fits with the two wires..
Chassis switch appears to light up and work... but with chassis off I can now start the engine. I assume this is because my solenoid is not fried.

Anyone just put a throw type switch directly on the Neg terminal of the Chassis battery? It is right in front of the engine compartment and only has the one wire on it.
That could work and would be the easiest BUT ...
... remember .. that cable ( battery negative ) also handles all of the current when you start the engine ( the starter motor, which pulls a heck of a lot of current on a 450 ).

If you go to the greater trouble to put the switch in the incomming positive line to the BCC the current demands will be a lot less.

Thats what I will probablly do if the current drain through the ignition circuit is too high after the " fix " , havn't decided yet.

Right now, I'm running some tests on BCC components for RV products.
They sent me parts to test for durablity under over current conditions.

This is the kind of stuff retired guys do just to keep busy .. LOL.
mgheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #125

But you have to rememBer that the Battery control center interupts the positive side of the caBle and not the negative. A switch in the negAtive side won't do nothin it won't help you get bAck the positive side
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #126

Neg switch

I'm talking a big lever style switch directly on the battery.
With high enough amp rating. I'll feel like Dr Frankenstein when I throw it and it arcs

Tags
battery, recall, thor