Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2023, 05:46 PM   #1

Thor Challenger 37lx slide leak repair

Hello everyone I need some recommendations on an upcoming repair at the dealer, early last year we purchased a 2018 Challenger 37LX, and discovered a leak that dripped off the bottom of the bed and onto the floor with the slide open or closed. I informed the dealers service manager that I believed it was coming from the slides front awning cover mount. I did not feel this was new, and expressed concern about rot, the service manager said not to worry it was fiberglass and aluminum. They picked it up, replaced a wiper seal, added some sealant, and according to them had a sprinkler on it all day with no leaks. When it was returned the wiper seal came off (never cleaned the old seal off), they had sealed every trim edge, seam and slide attachment (except for the awning mounts). I used a 1-gallon sprayer on the awing cover mount and had water dripping inside almost right away. I asked their service department what I should use to seal this mount and was told silicone, so I removed it, sealed and re-installed it. Several of the screws showed white corrosion (note none of the other mounts were sealed from the factory). I later discovered I should have used butyl tape, and used it to seal to the remaining mounts. I could not remove the one I siliconed in place, it would not budge. No issues with water after that (but not much rain). Working on the seal I noticed a mark on the top of the slide where it rubbed on the motor. Dealer stated that was no good and they would bring it back again. The day before they picked it up I discovered dried brown water stains on the floor below the bed, and passed this information to them. After several weeks it was returned, more sealant was added, a quick test did not show water penetration. The wiper seal again came off, because it was being pulled between the slide and the motor (slide was still rubbing the motor) this eventually destroying the seal. Calls about this and other issues were not returned for several months. In Dec after several days of rain, I discovered water by the bed. The moisture meter confirmed water under the tape seal below the slide, I cut a 6x6 square and water dripped out, the thin balsa wood is falling apart, I can push my finger 1/4 inch onto the underside of the slide floor in this area, several screws for the aluminum plates that the support rollers ride on are loose or missing. I finally contacted the dealers GM with my issues and they want it back. This time I will drop it off and walk them thru the issues and pick it up to verify.
To add to my problems I tipped the RV slightly to the right to keep water out of the back and discovered the oppisite slide also has water penetration at the bottom corner as well. That slide awning mount had a broken screw (already broken) when I removed it to add butyl under it. I added a screw to the side of it, because it was angled and even with the skin, my bit kept sliding to the edge. I believe the previous owner possibly hit the forward mounts with branches. I do not know if they will look at this side, I had found water one time from the slide window drain weeps being blocked, unfortunately we had a throw rug that would have hidden water on the floor.

My questions are what does a correct repair look like in this situation, water has been leaking inside the wall from the top of the awning mount to the inside floor of the bed for months. Does the slide need to come out? Does material need cut out and replaced? does the wall need to be opened up? is there an adjustment to keep the slide from hitting the motor? Should I ask for pictures as the repair progresses?
Sorry for the long post and many questions, thoughts and recommendations please, it goes back soon.
MovingCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
air, leak, repair, slide, thor