Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #1779

Ford Super Duty Owner
Happy Birthday Challenger

I got no response from Thor on my question about what year the first Challenger was introduced. So I am making our Challenger's family birthday "July." For the whole month we will celebrate twenty five years of continuous production and improvements. We will give all guests, or anyone who even says that's a nice looking coach, the complete tour. It's really enjoyable showing off our baby so we will have lots of fun. Wonder how many I can sell in a month?
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #1780

Battery Isolater/Control module
At the front of the engine compartment on the drivers side is a module with fuses and solenoids. The chassis battery and house batteries are connected to this unit. I feel this maybe the battery isolater. It is chattering a lot, it seems the solenoid is kicking in and out rapidly. We are not having any electrical issues inside the coach. It does not do this all day long, but enough to be of concern. I feel it is a problem on the circuit board and not the solenoids themselves. Any similar experiences or thoughts out there?
Rascal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #1781

Ford Super Duty Owner
More mod's fixes and Upgrades

#60 Decided to try my hand at making a dash cover. Turned out to be pretty easy four hour and $20 project.
Step 1. Cut a template for one of the windshield col. covers see results in pic. one. Step 2. Run a tape measure all the way across dash from equal points at both ends and tape it in place for a measuring reference point. See pic. two. Step 3. Every six inches measure distance from edge of tape measure to windshield. Use distance in center and draw a line on the back side of the carpet. Then transfer six inch measurements to line and connect the points. See pic. three. Then cut. Since carpet was so thin I was able to use a good pair of scissors. Step 4. Remove dash pod and test fit - if trimming is necessary hold carpet on place with two or three screws in holes from dash pod. Pic four shows results of some minor trimming. Only thing left to do is cut along sides of desk. I did not cut across - left carpet over desk top. If we want to use desk we just flip the flap forward. I considered removing desk and using the housing to trim the edges. Just decided to protect everything from the sun. Will post a couple more pictures tomorrow with more detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5240001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	98932   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5240003.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	98933  

Name:	P5240004.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	98934   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5240005.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	98935  

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #1782

Battery Isolator Module

Here are two pictures of the module in question.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_9632 (800x533).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	98945   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9633 (533x800).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	98946  

Old 07-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #1783

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal55 View Post
Battery Isolater/Control module
At the front of the engine compartment on the drivers side is a module with fuses and solenoids. The chassis battery and house batteries are connected to this unit. I feel this maybe the battery isolater. It is chattering a lot, it seems the solenoid is kicking in and out rapidly. We are not having any electrical issues inside the coach. It does not do this all day long, but enough to be of concern. I feel it is a problem on the circuit board and not the solenoids themselves. Any similar experiences or thoughts out there?
PM Me with email and I will send you 12 page BCC service manual.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #1784

Ford Super Duty Owner

#60 Cont. Pic one shows better detail after final trim. Pic two shows results of cut to accommodate the workstation with flap folded back. Three shows top extended and surplus carpet folded and tucked under edge of desk top. When done ie. to late, I realized desk cut did NOT need to be all the way to the end. If you do this I would stop cut at edge of desk when extended and test. BTW don't cut desk opening until mat is finished and secured by the instrument pod screws. I think stopping the cut earlier will look much better. Pic three also shows visual results of cut going to far.
I am still thinking about how to finish the cut edge on passenger side. I experimented with a scrap - folded end back under and glued with hot glue gun - that looks pretty good. I am going to leave it as is for a while to see if carpet will hang naturally and follow curved surface of dash. Nothing has been added to hold carpet in place other than the pod screws and good fit around the col. covers. It does not move around.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5250001.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	98994   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5250002.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	98995  

Name:	P5250003.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	98996  
Old 07-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #1785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal55 View Post
Here are two pictures of the module in question.
I recently replaced the lower solenoid because it had failed and my chassis battery was very low on charge even though I was plugged in. It was the lower of the two solenoids. I will assume that you are plugged in to a land line. If you unplug and the chattering stops, it probably means that the solenoid is about ready to die. Cost around $25 and was a relatively easy replacement.
Also, if the solenoid is very warm and chattering, that probably means that it is about read to quit on you. Good luck!
handyman1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #1786

Ford Super Duty Owner

#61 Found these big S hooks in a dollar store and got the idea to use them for extra towel or wash cloth hooks. Work great inside or outside of the shower and can be moved around or removed as needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5210001.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	99090  
Old 07-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #1787

Battery Control Module

Thanks for all the replies to my dilemma. There has been no chattering or bad noises coming from this area for the last few days. Could the problem have been a moisture or humidity issue? We have had some heavy rains recently and the fact that the unit is very exposed and unprotected put that thought in my head.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #1788

Ford Super Duty Owner

#62 I had mentioned earlier about second step failure due to bad wire routing during installation. Wire was pinched between door frame and door trim - insulation flowed resulting in bare wire shorting to door frame/ground. Results steps open and won't retract. Finally got around to taking care of it and in the process discovered large air gap between sides of door edge of door cavity. 3/8" or so on sides and about 1" at top. Filled top with foam insulation and sides with 1/2 backer rod - pic one. To fix wire problem I cut channel in back side of trim to reduce stress on wire, added some electrical tape around both wires and reinstalled the trim with less tension/pressure on the screws on either side of the wires.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5270002.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	99173   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5270004.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	99174  

Old 07-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #1789

Ford Super Duty Owner

#63 One of my punch list items at the factory was to get entry door strut replaced. I figured it should be a damper and slow the opening as opposed to pushing it open with significant force. Tech agreed but soon learned they are built that way. So no fix. It is up to owner to be careful opening the door and not let it fly open which would eventually lead to one of the end studs being broken or worse yet being pulled out of frame making repairs near impossible. Holding on to the door handle to slow opening is not easy. My solution - Camco screen door cross bar, part number 42183. Avail at Walmart for under $15. I found opening door on exit was usually done standing on the second step so I positioned the bar at a comfortable height. Now we unlatch door and hold cross bar to let door open slowly. For us, using it to open or close the screen door is secondary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5270001.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	99178  
Old 07-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #1790

Our screen door and main door often come apart when we don't mean for them to. I would be concerned that using that bar of yours to control the opening of the door would fail if the main door could let go and swing wildly without the screen door. Do yours come apart like I am describing?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #1791

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Our screen door and main door often come apart when we don't mean for them to. I would be concerned that using that bar of yours to control the opening of the door would fail if the main door could let go and swing wildly without the screen door. Do yours come apart like I am describing?
No, the doors have never seperated on their own. I think the screen door to door latch is fairly secure. If yours looks like attached pic may it just needs adjusting. I guess, if we were to wait until door already half way open and grabbed handle to stop it there could be a problem. We just release door latch with one hand and move same hand to the bar before door gets any momemtum. Note that the outside screen door handle is captured by the hook on the door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5280001.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	99301  
Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #1792

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
No, the doors have never seperated on their own. I think the screen door to door latch is fairly secure. If yours looks like attached pic may it just needs adjusting. I guess, if we were to wait until door already half way open and grabbed handle to stop it there could be a problem. We just release door latch with one hand and move same hand to the bar before door gets any momemtum. Note that the outside screen door handle is captured by the hook on the door.
I think they are the same, although I can't see well with the lighting in your picture. We ordered the cross bar and will try it. thanks for the tip.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert, slide, thor