Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
From install man.
When the room is seated full out, the OUTSIDE cables should be slack enough to move the cable
approximately ½” up or down (1” total movement) by hand. The holding power is actually on the
INSIDE cables pulling the standoff brackets tight against the frame.

When the room is seated full in, the INSIDE cables should be slack enough to move the cable
approximately ½” up or down (1” total movement) by hand. The holding power is now on the
OUTSIDE cables pulling the standoff brackets tight against the frame

I am convinced if we keep an eye on cables we can avoid total cable failure. Should you do something - IMO yes and do it before cable breaks.
Chuck:

I am confused by your answer. At first you say a little slack on outside cables when slide is extended (my situation) is fine. Then you say I should do something about it. What am I misunderstanding?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #1976

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Chuck:

I am confused by your answer. At first you say a little slack on outside cables when slide is extended (my situation) is fine. Then you say I should do something about it. What am I misunderstanding?
You said ONE of the four was SLACK. I would bet that when slide is in - one inside cable - probably lower rear is slack. As I understand the cable system - tension should be about equal on all 8 cables (four pull in and 4 pull out.) If tension gets to far out of whack slide will not travel in or out square. At a minimum I would check ends of all eight cables for strand breaks - where they attach to slide and measure deflection/tension on all eight cables then call Thor. If it does need adjustment the most difficult part will be getting wood trim off and back on.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #1977

Ford Super Duty Owner
A'cond filters

Process of removing filter, washing, waiting for it to dry and reinstalling a PITA. Decided to buy a couple more filters so I could simply rotate them. Cheapest ones I could find were around $7.00 each. Problem solved found "FROST KING WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER FILTER WASHABLE AND REUSEABLE 15"X24"1/4" on Ebay for $5.00 and in one minute with a pair of scissors I now have three new filters.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #1978

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question kwikee steps problems

I had problem with the steps not coming out , CW installed a new control board about 2 weeks ago but they couldn't get them to work with the step switch, I had to unplug them while deployed to get them to stay out.

I was there yesterday for 10.5 hours for them to work on the steps again, replace the microwave , work on the awning, and repair a leak I thought was around the windshield. They only managed to get the microwave replaced, leaked repaired( around the maker lights) and to screw the steps up even worse. The steps wouldn't deploy at all and they didn't know how to fix them( they let me know this about 30 minutes before they closed ) to say I was pissed was understatement. I looked at the steps today and found they had no power , so I started looking for a popped fuse and found one under the hood. I replaced it and it immediately popped. So I opened up the switch and noticed there is three wires going to the switch that only has 2 prongs for wires . I figured out which one was the power and the ground. I hooked those up and the fuse held and the steps came back alive but the switch still won't make them stay deployed .
Could this be a bad switch ? Anyway to check ? what about the third wire ?
Old 10-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #1979

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 View Post
Could this be a bad switch ? Anyway to check ? what about the third wire ?
Look at wire route from door frame switch to where it goes under stairwell carpet. If it goes between door frame and door trimm - that needs to be fixed. Wire will be pinched between the metal pieces and either shorted or cut for open circuit. One of above results in steps won't extend and the other steps won't retract. See post 1680
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post2506012
And 1788 for how I fixed it
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...50811-128.html
Old 10-18-2015, 06:30 AM   #1980

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Look at wire route from door frame switch to where it goes under stairwell carpet. If it goes between door frame and door trimm - that needs to be fixed. Wire will be pinched between the metal pieces and either shorted or cut for open circuit. One of above results in steps won't extend and the other steps won't retract. See post 1680
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post2506012
Thanks, but mine doesn't run under that metal piece . I checked that when you posted it a while back. Also the door switch was replaced also.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #1981

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 View Post
Thanks, but mine doesn't run under that metal piece . I checked that when you posted it a while back. Also the door switch was replaced also.
Try cutting door switch wires close to controller and see what happens when shorted together or open. If OK then wire damaged between switch and step control. If still have problem then there probably is a bad wire crimp at plug between wire and metal pin
Old 10-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #1982

Progressive Industies Surge Protector/EMS - Has anyone used these on their Challenger? If you hardwired it, how hard was it? How did you do it? If you use the portable, do you find it presents any problems, as in theft or weather issues?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #1983

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Progressive Industies Surge Protector/EMS - Has anyone used these on their Challenger? If you hardwired it, how hard was it? How did you do it? If you use the portable, do you find it presents any problems, as in theft or weather issues?
I have the portable and it just saved me about two weeks ago. The park I was staying at got a large surge and many people lost things in thier coaches and it took the electric compnay 5 hours to restore power . I didn't have any issues and the product worked as designed . The only problem with the portable is remebering to use it . I plan on installing the hard wired version this winter to take care of that problem. There are youtube videos showing you how to install it . I plan on just cutting my cord , installing and mounting to the sidewall of the bay. Keep us posted if you do something else. I think Ctpres installed some type of surge guard in his 2015.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #1984
KC

I don’t have one but Im getting one installed into my RV. My dealer has told me that the installed one can also protect your RV from its own Generator issues.

KC
Old 10-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #1985

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are some install videos :

Old 10-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #1986

Ford Super Duty Owner
Anybody know where transfer switch is on a 2014 37KT ? The power cord goes up into the floor, and that appears to be under the bed. Can anyone confirm this ?
Old 10-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #1987

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
See post 1358
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post2328021

Only reason I used that brand - it was a lot cheaper. Has done it's thing a couple times already do to low voltage and bad park power at our ped.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #1988

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
I have the portable one and have been using it for a few years without any problems. I bought it when I owned my previous coach and it saved that coach from electrical damage twice. It has saved my Challenger at least once in the past year.

I bought it because of the lifetime guarantee. I don't mind the portable one because I always use it and I plug it into the park power pedestal and check for problems before I plug in the coach. It found problems with the electrical service a few times so I notified the campground office and moved my coach to a different site.

It's weatherproof and I secure it to the electrical pedestal with a heavy duty cable lock. If it does get stolen someday, I'll probably replace it at that time with a hard wired one.
LyonsL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert, slide, thor