Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #2101

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 View Post
Has anyone wired a wall outlet in the front pass through compartment ?I'm thinking about tapping into the outside outlet for power.Thoughts ?

Thanks
Bigdaddy51200
I added utility outlets in the rear compartment where it was easy to take a feed to an additional breaker box. If you are using the outside outlet just be aware it is on the same GFCI circuit as the kitchen and bathroom outlets (on my coach anyway) so its easy to overload and trip the breaker.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 12:08 AM   #2102

Bruce, havent seen your post lately good to hear from you again.. I too havea 20134 37GT love the floor plan, we were gone 4 months last yr to the midwest, great trip. What are you using the extra outlets for?
okiefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #2103

Carolina Campers
Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 View Post
Has anyone wired a wall outlet in the front pass through compartment ?I'm thinking about tapping into the outside outlet for power.Thoughts ?

Thanks

Bigdaddy51200

I had two 110 v outlets and a 12 v outlet in a bay on the passenger side of the coach. I keep a freezer in that bay that uses either 110 v or 12 v, and it automatically switches to the best power source. That way everything stays frozen, even when driving long distances, and when connected to shore power.

I also use the 110 v outlets to run heaters and/or many other things when hooked up to shore power.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #2104

Heater

My 37kt challenger heater stopped working. I have plenty of propane but it just blows cold air. I can hear start and then turn off over and over. Ant suggestions. It sounds like it wants to fire up but won't
gavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #2105

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I had two 110 v outlets and a 12 v outlet in a bay on the passenger side of the coach. I keep a freezer in that bay that uses either 110 v or 12 v, and it automatically switches to the best power source. That way everything stays frozen, even when driving long distances, and when connected to shore power.

I also use the 110 v outlets to run heaters and/or many other things when hooked up to shore power.

Ted
I see so many people on the forums who put a cage light or a small space heater into the water bay in cold weather, you'd think Thor would put an outlet there as standard equipment. According to the forums, many manufacturers do.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #2106

Carolina Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I see so many people on the forums who put a cage light or a small space heater into the water bay in cold weather, you'd think Thor would put an outlet there as standard equipment. According to the forums, many manufacturers do.

I agree. I use a $20 small ceramic heater. On low, it keeps the water bay at 70+ degrees, and has a thermostat to regulate. If they added something, it would cost several hundred dollars, or even thousands, and not do the job half as good.... LOL

Also, you may want to know what I use those outside 110 v outlets for that are just above the bin with the water tanks on the passenger side of the coach. In below freezing weather, I fold up a heating blanket and a heated mattress pad and put them between the bin door and the water tanks, then plug them into those outlets. It keeps that bin at 55+ degrees when it is sub zero degrees outside.

I keep a digital thermometer with a remote sensor in both the wet bay and the bay on the passenger side to keep track on what the temperature is. Those can be picked up at Lowe's for around $20 as well. That is something else that the manufacture could add to make it easy for you to track the temperature in the bay's.

Ted
Old 01-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #2107

Carolina Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavaman View Post
My 37kt challenger heater stopped working. I have plenty of propane but it just blows cold air. I can hear start and then turn off over and over. Ant suggestions. It sounds like it wants to fire up but won't

I don't know if this could help, but I had the same thing happen to me. You may want to try to go out to the propane tank and turn it off and then turn it back on. When that happened to me it was like there was a vapor lock in the line that had to be cleared out. You may want to start the stove to get the gas flowing before turning on the furnace as well.

This also happened once after getting my tank filled up. It just happened that they had not turned the valve to the full open position.

A good alternative is to get two small ceramic heaters from Wal-Mart. I use the Comfort Zone heaters that cost ~$20 at Wal-Mart. I put one in the front and one in the back and they will keep it toasty when freezing outside.

Ted
Old 01-06-2016, 05:20 AM   #2108

Thor Owners Club
You might want to check the LP monitor and make sure it is on. LP will not normally flow if it is off.

Sanford
Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #2109

Ford Super Duty Owner
More mods fixes and upgrades

#74 We also had full outlet at bathroom sink. While I like lighted GFI outlet I opted to add another outlet. Mostly as it would be cheaper. Now we have two extra GFI outlets. First breaker off and confirm. I removed existing outlet to check for anything that might cause problems routing wire thru wall down to the top front left corner of the sink cabinet. Tank vent pipe in-between but enough space for AC wire. The existing outlet housing is like an old work box with tabs on two corners - just back off the screws enough so tabs will clear. Pull box out and rotate so side wire box will clear opening. Not necessary to remove the outlet until ready to add new wire. The side wire box cover just snaps on/off. I made a small romex wire size hole in wall at the top front corner inside cabinet and just pointed and pushed wire into wall until I could reach it thru GFI hole. Making hole for new outlet easy - but I recommend using a fine tooth blade and take your time cutting thin panel. The panel broke while cutting and I had to glue it back together. Only other note is new outlet cover from Home Depot was wider than space available but the existing snap on cover plates in our coach fit outlet and space just fine. Removed an existing cover plate - put a couple dabs of silicon caulk on back and pressed on new outlet. New HD cover plate screwed onto outlet that I borrowed cover from and done. Material: Less than three feet of 14/2 w-ground romex, silicon caulk, one 15 amp decora outlet and cover.Total cost under five bucks and about two hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB280007.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	115833   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB280006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	115834  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB280008.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	115835   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB280009.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	115836  

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #2110

Working out the bugs

The 2016 Thor challenger brochure online says you can control your hydraulic levelers with the rapid camp remote. My rapid camp does not have that option. Does anybody else have that option? Also I saw a Thor manufacturing video on line that said very clearly that when you back up in reverse there is a microphone that will pick up your assistants voice to assist you Mine does not have that either. My biggest complaint is when running on batteries my heat doesn't come on when it gets down to 11.7 volts. The fridge works with the lights on and two TVs but there's not enough power to start that little heater. The manufacture of the heater Atwood says it will run with 10.5 volts or more. My volt gauge next to the auto gen start says we're at 11.7 and it will not start the heat. If I set my automatic generator start to 11.8 it'll be starting constantly. My local Thor dealer who has proven themselves to be less than perfect says there's not enough volts for the heat at the start. Duh, any input on these issues would be helpful. Marcdohc 2016 KT
marcdohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #2111
KC

I had a converter issue with my 15, so that them check it out. My rapid camp does allow for jack movement. It might have to have it fixed. Our rapid camp did not move the large slide.

KC
Old 01-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #2112

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
The 2016 Thor challenger brochure online says you can control your hydraulic levelers with the rapid camp remote. My rapid camp does not have that option. Does anybody else have that option? Also I saw a Thor manufacturing video on line that said very clearly that when you back up in reverse there is a microphone that will pick up your assistants voice to assist you Mine does not have that either. My biggest complaint is when running on batteries my heat doesn't come on when it gets down to 11.7 volts. The fridge works with the lights on and two TVs but there's not enough power to start that little heater. The manufacture of the heater Atwood says it will run with 10.5 volts or more. My volt gauge next to the auto gen start says we're at 11.7 and it will not start the heat. If I set my automatic generator start to 11.8 it'll be starting constantly. My local Thor dealer who has proven themselves to be less than perfect says there's not enough volts for the heat at the start. Duh, any input on these issues would be helpful. Marcdohc 2016 KT
Rapid camp remote probably just needs programing - by dealer - not DIY project yet.
Re back-up audio and video when backing up is the radio turned on? My radio is out of commission waiting on replacement so I can not check. - pretty sure going into reverse will not turn radio on.
Re low voltage - need to check at furnace power connections and see what voltage is there while it is trying to start.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #2113

Thanks for the imput,
marcdohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
I had a converter issue with my 15, so that them check it out. My rapid camp does allow for jack movement. It might have to have it fixed. Our rapid camp did not move the large slide.

KC
Our 2014.5 KT didn't come with a Rapid Camp at all. Was it supposed to come with one?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert, slide, thor