Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #3319

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheet2 View Post
I was able to get my MH weighed today. The Flying J at Hempstead, Texas has a CAT Scale with a strip of concrete down one side that is level with the scale. This allow me to weigh the whole MH and it gives a total and the weight on each axel. Then I did a reweight ($2 more) by putting the right side of the MH off the scale but on that strip of concrete that is level with the scales. This gave me wheel weights for the left side. By subtracting from the axel weights I calculated the right side wheel weights.

The RV was mostly loaded with what we will carry, but not everything. Grey and black water tanks were empty. Propane was full. Potable water tank had 55 gal in it so I added the weight of 45 more gallons (375 lbs) to the right rear wheel which is included in the numbers I show below.
Weights in pounds.

LF 3,880 RF 3,820
LR 6,680 RR 7,495 (7,120 with only 55 gal potable water)

Total combined weight is 21,875 (21,500 with only 55 gal potable water)

The right side of the MH is certainly heavier that the left in the rear. The front looks pretty even.

Allowing some contingency for more stuff we will put in plus people weight, looks like I can use 90 psi in all wheels. I will likely keep only 50 gal of fresh water in the tank when traveling to get the right and left sides a little closer to the same weight. Plus I will try to store the heavier items on the left side.

Will be towing a 2014 Honda CRV that weighs about 3,500 lbs.
Total combined weight will be about 22,000 + 3,500 = 25,500 lbs.

Should be ok. I am a complete novias. So if any of you experienced guys see any thing wrong here please let me know.
Oh, my MH is a 2017 Challenger 37YT
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #3320

Do you mean Pilot Travel Center in Hempstead? Good to know.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #3321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn2 View Post
Do you mean Pilot Travel Center in Hempstead? Good to know.
Yes that is the one.

They do not have a dump station. But the Loves about 10 miles toward Houston has one.

You need to know their weighing procedure. Being new to this whole things I kind of bounced back and forth from scales to the cashier more than I needed to. In this heat and humidity it was so much fun! Felt like 1/4 mile from the scales to the cashier. Here is their process:

1) The scales are set up for 3 axels so there are 3 sections. We only need 2. So pull on to the first two sections. Not onto the very front one where the big diesels would normally have their front wheels.
2) Push the button for service up toward the front. They want a rig number which we do not have. They will give you one. Tell them you want a re-weigh as well.
3) They take the weight and tell you to come inside. But first pull off the scales!!! They didn't tell me to. So had to come back out and pull off. Actually there was room for me to back off since no one was behind me waiting for the scale. Otherwise you have to pull forward and park.
4) Go to cashier and pay , including the re-weigh. They give you the first weigh document. It has a number on it. You need this for the re-weigh.
5) You may have to go all the way around and get in line if you had to pull forward the first time. Pull back on the scales (same place) with one side off the scales. A post blocks your ability to pull all the way onto that 3rd farthest forward section. That is why you use the first two for the first weighing. Don't get too close to that post so you can pull forward between the posts later without backing up.
6) Push the button for service. Tell them it is a re-weigh. They will want the number from the previous weighing. They will tell you to come inside. BUt, pull forward off the scales and park!! I was half way to the cashier before I remembered to pull off this time. Duuu.
7) get your second weight sheet.
Happy camping!
Old 08-26-2019, 04:03 AM   #3322

Slide Out Seals

2017 Challenger 37 YT. Went to the lake this weekend. Had some rain when driving down the interstate. Had a little water come in near the bottom corner of two slides. It rained again during the night when we were camped. Slides were extended. No leaks.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Any suggestions (besides taking it to repair shop) ??
Old 08-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #3323

Have you checked is your slide seal bulb is touching the outside wall of your YT? If not, you made need to re-sync your Lippert slide motors. Go to the Lippert web site or google Schwintec slide sytems for the procedure.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #3324

Quote:
Have you checked is your slide seal bulb is touching the outside wall of your YT? If not, you made need to re-sync your Lippert slide motors. Go to the Lippert web site or google Schwintec slide sytems for the procedure.

Thanks for this response. The lower left corner of one slide out does not compress the bulb nearly as much as the rest. I will certainly check out re-sync of the slide motors.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #3325

Just remember to when fully extended or fully retracted to keep the slide switch depressed for a count of three.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #3326

Quote:
Just remember to when fully extended or fully retracted to keep the slide switch depressed for a count of three.
Thanks, I have not been doing that.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:44 PM   #3327

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Thanks for responses. I like the idea of putting it in a plastic tub. And connect the ends. At least for now.
I had a 2018 37YT with plenty of room in the electrical bay so I took some 5" square PVC fence posts from Lowe's, cut to length and screwed them on top of the frame on that compartment. Seal the caps on the back side and you can just push the hoses inside and they'll compress as you insert them. I had caps on the front as well, I just didn't seal them. I have attached a picture of mine with the caps off (Note - the picture needs to be rotated to the right so the hoses are positioned left to right, not up and down).

I TRULY hope you don't have the nightmares we had with our Challenger! I cannot even begin to tell you all the issues I had to fix! Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3153.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	258682  
Old 09-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #3328

Whirlpool Fridge replacement

Has anyone had their residential Whirlpool fridge replaced? Camping World said they didn't want to do it since it had to come out through the windshield.
djwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #3329

Why are you replacing it?
Old 09-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #3330

Quote:
Why are you replacing it?
It was repaired once for a refrigerant leak. Now the evaporator has to be replaced. $800 repair. Figured I would just replace it rather than repair again.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #3331

Quote:
2017 Challenger 37 YT. Went to the lake this weekend. Had some rain when driving down the interstate. Had a little water come in near the bottom corner of two slides. It rained again during the night when we were camped. Slides were extended. No leaks.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Any suggestions (besides taking it to repair shop) ??
Yes, had this problem. CW put some silicone gasket seal on the gaskets that are not on the slide. It was in the corners where the vertical and horizontal seals meet.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #3332

Newbie has inverter questions

Very glad I found this thread. Wife and I have been camping for about 5 years now with a 37 foot travel trailer. Back in July sold it and picked up a 2015 Challenger 37KT with just over 4,000 miles on it. So I'm really new on inverter operation. This thread is huge and I've read a lot of it but not all. Great information.
So, should I keep the inverter powered on all the time, even when connected to shore power or just when no shore power is available?
I'm sure I'll have many more questions about this rig and I'm thrilled I found a group of knowledgeable people.

Thanks in advance.
Jerry
OHIOJERRY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert, slide, thor