Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #1303

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVredneck View Post
Sweet. Can't wait to play with it!!!

On another topic....I've been sniffing around on the thor forums and I'm quite concerned about the amount of negative stories of quality on these units. Is it just a matter of the few unhappy customers voicing their opinions and the happy ones stay silent??
I think most bad stories are dealer or owner related. You would be surprised what some owners expect and do and then try to pass problem off on mfg. Chose you servicing dealer with care and buy from dealer with best price. Most of the problems on our new 37KT were caused by selling dealer and some maybe during transit from factory to dealer. Overall I think Thor is as good or better than others in the SAME price range. For what it is worth - the Challenger line is built in same plant as more upscale diesel products. May be wishful thinking but skills and standards there might be higher.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #1304

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
High on my list - could you post a pic?
After a trip to Key West through a snow storm my TST pressure monitors siezed on to my valve stems. I had to have them cut off which then required the stems be replaced which meant the tires had to be pulled off the rims! I was done adding anything to my stems other than either brass or stainless. I installed a Crossfire on my Outlaw and now on my Challenger. I couple a good pressure gauge with frequent visual inspection for piece of mind and have never looked back.

DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 View Post
I put a larger line in a loop (Top of loop up above the tank). I drove about 300 miles to mountains and it was still full. seemed to work.

I did as you with the loop and it helped quite a bit, I had a half tank on arrival. I tried a suggestion to drill a small hole in the vent line at the top of that loop and gained another quarter tank of water. I, like the OP, thought about the ball valves, but remembering to open would be another problem. I have made progress on this, but I still think it could be better. A design flaw for sure.

Jimmy
jcullipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #1306

Ford Super Duty Owner
37KT bed platform

Decided to post my errors so others don't make same mistake. I was exploring to see how a ceiling fan install over bed might work out. Decided not good to be walking on mattress and moved it to the side. Was still on my knees and about to stand when CRACK! Paneling on top of bed base is so thin and the spacers are so far apart it would not support me. Think walking in attic on the sheet rock - it can't be done. Now have almost one foot long splintered crack that needs some kind of repair.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #1307

Ford Super Duty Owner
More Mods Fixes and Upgrades

#23. Almost no AM at all on bedroom radio - Jensen AWM-914. FM works fine. Per manual there is an indoor antenna that comes with the radio. Decided to check it out and found it all coiled up hanging from bottom of closet above. Unrolled almost five foot long wire and ran it thru top of space above adjacent drawers. Works better but still not as good as dash radio with an outside antenna. If you want to go with an outside antenna the provided indoor one has a standard car radio plug.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #1308

Ford Super Duty Owner
Crossfire questions

1. How did you decide which pressure rating version to buy. I am hoping to get ours installed long before I get around to four corner weigh.
2. Did you have room for TPMS sensor with the basic model? Mfg's info says you need model with Tee to use TPMS
Old 11-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #1309

Ford Super Duty Owner
More Mods Fixes and Upgrades

#24. Cleaned air filters for the first time and noticed I could see a corner of the cold air duct. That meant the return air was pulling in cold air and reducing volume of air being delivered to ceiling duct system. Removed complete ceiling grill and pushed baffle forward to properly seal return air chamber.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #1310

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
1. How did you decide which pressure rating version to buy. I am hoping to get ours installed long before I get around to four corner weigh.
2. Did you have room for TPMS sensor with the basic model? Mfg's info says you need model with Tee to use TPMS
Michelin publishes a pressure chart based on weight. I had the opportunity two weigh mine so I run 85 in the rear and 80 in the front. Makes fore a really soft ride. I keep an IR meter in the coash that I use everytime I check my pressures to keep an eye on the heat. So far so good.

I no longer run a TPMS although I'm on the fence. If I do go with another unit I'll try the EEZRV flow through. With the Crossfire I only need 4 sending units.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #1311

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Michelin publishes a pressure chart based on weight. I had the opportunity two weigh mine so I run 85 in the rear and 80 in the front. Makes fore a really soft ride. I keep an IR meter in the coash that I use everytime I check my pressures to keep an eye on the heat. So far so good.

I no longer run a TPMS although I'm on the fence. If I do go with another unit I'll try the EEZRV flow through. With the Crossfire I only need 4 sending units.

Don, how close to GVWR are you? I am right on the max and when Hendersons weighed the coach they recommended 90 front, 95 rear.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:02 AM   #1312

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't remember my weights anymore but When I weighed it and compared that to the chart I found that the tires were over rated and even at 85 I was over pressure by a good bit. At 15,000 miles all is well with the wear patterns and the tire temp is consistantly around 195F (checked at center and inside a tread) and under when checked as soon as I stop. The ride is really soft so I'm really happy with my choice.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #1313

Ford Super Duty Owner
More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

#25. Winegard RV 7541 ANT/SAT wall plate very poorly installed. This is the wall plate with little green light and push button switch. Discovered plate was just screwed to wall - no box or spacers. #1 Bare bottom screw ran between numerous coax and power wires - great chance for shorts. #2 Sat cable connector is pointed at wall and with coax connected the cable is bent at 90 degrees right at the end of the connector, over stressing the cable. If not bad now it will be. If you plan on roof sat installation this must be fixed with new connector and wall plate relocated or reinstalled with adequate room for coax to bend. Note dent in orange/sat cable - that is from pc board pinching cable against wall. I do not plan on roof sat in near future, so I improvised a temp fix. Used much longer screws thru hard plastic tubes for spacers. That gave enough room for coax to have a reasonable stress free bend. Screw just barely sticks out of gray spacer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA080002.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	79067  
Old 11-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #1314

Where is the wall plate you are referring to? I have a 2014.5 37kt and have never seen this plate - I thought the switch box took plate of the amp.
Bweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #1315

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bweiler View Post
Where is the wall plate you are referring to? I have a 2014.5 37kt and have never seen this plate - I thought the switch box took plate of the amp.
2015 37KT Front TV is mounted flat to angled base in street side slide - just below TV is an open storage space for DVD's. Combiner power plate is in that space on the right end - should be able to see it just looking at TV from couch. White with Two male F connectors - one SAT and one TV ant, a green LED and small push button next to LED. Can't take pic right now but will later if needed.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #1316

Ford Super Duty Owner
Warning! Follow-up to earlier post

MY Post #1274 observation "Fireplace enclosure almost air tight with glass front touching wood trim of opening. No way for air to get in. Per install instructions - moved fireplace a bit forward so air could be drawn around glass front and into space behind - where the air intake is. "
Well it got cold enough to need heat and fireplace seemed to shut down regardless of thermostat setting. Finally figured out that fireplace thermal override was kicking in and shutting it down - I did not move it out far enough the first time. There still was not enough space around fireplace for intake air and case was overheating. Very hot to touch. Re-installed fireplace so glass was almost 1/2 inch from wood trim and no more shutdowns. I would hate to think what could happen if thermal override failed. If you think you have same problem just remove glass front ( lift up and out - it hooks pegs on sides of fireplace box) and run fireplace without glass front. It should shutdown on its own with thermostat and come right back on if you readjust thermostat for higher temp.

Tags
lippert, slide, thor