Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #3081

2018 THor Challenger 37LX

The specs list an 8,000lb hitch. I have a combined enclosed trailer with racecar that weighs in at 7800 lbs (aluminum tailer). Anyone tow something like this. Great price and looks very nice.
Lngebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2018, 05:38 AM   #3082

Tiffin Owners Club
7800 lbs with a gas coach? That’s nuts! We bought a Fiat 500 for our toad because we wanted under 2500 lbs to tow. The Challenger has a hard enough time moving itself up hills alone. We traded for a Tiffin Phaeton so now the hills disappeared!
daverubino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #3083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lngebrown View Post
The specs list an 8,000lb hitch. I have a combined enclosed trailer with racecar that weighs in at 7800 lbs (aluminum tailer). Anyone tow something like this. Great price and looks very nice.
We have a 2017 37LX. We have towed our 5,500lb Sea Ray and trailer hundreds of miles. My husband says he only feels it a bit when accelerating from a stop, but at highway speeds it's like it's not there at all. 7,800lbs would probably be pushing it.
BradnKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #3084

Hey everyone,
We completed our first long term boondocking a few days ago. We camped at Daytona International speedway for 5 days for the rolex 24. With some planning for water usage we made it through just fine with no problems, water wise. We did have some electrical problems. I have upgraded my batteries from stock, to 4 Duracel GC2 6 v batteries and that helps for sure with the battery life. The heater blower used the most power honestly. I have also installed the victron battery monitor to keep more info on my batteries.

The problem we had was recharging the batteries. The first night we had to use the heater and we got down to about 65% battery SOC available, so a little bit of power left but not a lot. Once we fired up the generator it charged very slowly. I did some research and found out we have the WF 9800 series battery converter, which is supposedly a 3 stage converter. I was not able to get it out of trickle charge into bulk charge at all. It is supposedly automatic. I did some reading and there are a lot of complaints about people having that problem, has anyone here experienced that problem? If so have you done anything about it? I am looking into possibly changing out to a progressive dynamics unit but wanted to know if anyone else has done that project.

Thanks for your help and info.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:01 AM   #3085

If you idle the motorhome you'll get abt 60 to 80 amps per hr recharge rate. Depending on battery resistance. I found 4 batterys batter than 2, but 6 made a huge differance. Make sure you use very large jumpers between the batterys also.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #3086

My jeep weighs 6500lbs and has never been a problem. Ive got abt 18k miles.

Sure there's a noticable differance in aceleration, and hills are a bit slower, but honestly those big hills are only a coupple of miles. Who cares about an extra 5 miniutes of driving.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:45 AM   #3087

Thor Owners Club
tow feature on Challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverubino View Post
7800 lbs with a gas coach? That’s nuts! We bought a Fiat 500 for our toad because we wanted under 2500 lbs to tow. The Challenger has a hard enough time moving itself up hills alone. We traded for a Tiffin Phaeton so now the hills disappeared!

Do you use the TOW FEATURE when driving? I only feel the lack of power going up a 5 to 9 hill..... usually slow Challenger down to 45 or 50 MPH... but makes it....
TEXASED42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #3088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lngebrown View Post

Hitch rating has nothing to do with what you can tow. You have to Look at the gcwr and the gvwr. The Challenger has a gvwr of 24000 and a gcwr of 30000–that is 6000 pounds you can tow. I pull my race car with a super C diesel.
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #3089

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASED42 View Post
Do you use the TOW FEATURE when driving? I only feel the lack of power going up a 5 to 9 hill..... usually slow Challenger down to 45 or 50 MPH... but makes it....
I had a SCT programmer in it which helped a lot, but even pulling my little Fiat 500, it slowed significantly. We are full-time and carried a lot of weight. We took a decent hit trading our ‘16 37KT for a ‘14 Phaeton 40, but we felt it well worth it plus too many troubles with the KT, but don’t get me started on that since this is a Challenger forum. I’m a former Challenger, but have many friends on this forum I don’t want to piss off!
daverubino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #3090

Ford Super Duty Owner
More Mods Fixes & Upgrades

#107 The 37KT water heater is at very end of coach under the bed - with a lot of pipe on the way to kitchen sink. Problem with that is it takes a lot of time and wastes water while you wait for hot water. My solution is to insulate hot water pipe. 1/2 inch PVC/Pex foam pipe insulation is readily available and total cost of project should be under $10. I bought five six foot pieces and had a bunch left over. Just be sure the insulation you buy has a split down the center. The split allows installation on existing pipe without taking things apart. If pushing insulation over pipe into areas you can not reach - put it on pipe and secure slit with wraps of duct tape before pushing it into areas you can't reach - like under shower. You probably won't get every inch insulated but I found just doing everything under the bed made a big difference. I am only showing bed section as it was biggest challenge.
Turn mattress sideways and stand on end at rear window. Can hold it up with string or rope - see pic. DO NOT climb or walk on long hinged section of bed platform. Veneer is VERY thin. Lift platform and with helper holding it full up -slightly pry C clip away from ball joint so end can be removed from bracket. If C clip comes off - not to worry it is just a pain to put it back on. With hinged platform free remove screws around the edges of fixed portion of platform. Once they are removed you can move entire bed platform far enough to get access to plumbing. I lined fixed portion up with opening and used it to support me while worked on the pipes. When you try to put empty platform back down to reinstall mattress you may find the struts need some help where they attach to platform. Push platform down at strut and end, otherwise you could break platform before struts start moving. Total time for bed section was less than one hour
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06110003.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	191807   Click image for larger version

Name:	06110004.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	191808  

Click image for larger version

Name:	06270001.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	191809  
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #3091

You the man Chuck. That is why you have over 100 mods and we don't. Sounds like too much work to me for the payback. Thanks for the continuing ideas though. When do you head back to CO?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #3092

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
You the man Chuck. That is why you have over 100 mods and we don't. Sounds like too much work to me for the payback. Thanks for the continuing ideas though. When do you head back to CO?
Hope to make it to Creede first week of May. Stuck in Houston for one more month. Lousy weather so plenty of time to play. To do list getting longer.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #3093

Thor Ace Bunkhouse

Sure happy to know that anyone that has purchased a Thor Ace Bunkhouse has experienced nothing but "good times". That is not the case here. There is not enough space to list all of the problems so I will focus on one specific issue---the Lippert Slide Out. I would like to hear from all of you that have or had problems with your slide-out requiring you to return to the shop for repair. It just seems that although Lippert says this is the most recent and best of their slide-outs that to operate a slideout that is almost the entire length of the motorhome requires more design etc than the smaller slideouts. Thanks,
PappaJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #3094

Ford Super Duty Owner
More Mods Fixes and Upgrades

#108 MW/convection oven counter light not bright enough for tired old eyes. Also if left on for extended periods it will warm anything stored in the oven - not good for a candy bar. My solution was a 5 watt LED white light. MUCH brighter at almost 45 watt equivalent. Virtually no heat.
​Avail. on Amazon Prime two for $8.00. https://www.amazon.com/Aooshine-Micr...ermediate+Base​ If you don't get this one just be sure it is dimmable - if not you will not get lower level light on the second switch tap. Old bulb probably has a dab of hot glue at lamp base and socket. Be sure to add hot glue to new bulb. It is there to keep bulb from vibrating and coming out during travel.
Hey Techno - drop by Sat around 4 for Happy Hour and you can have one.

Tags
lippert, slide, thor