Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #3389

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSteve View Post
We're about to make the plunge into a W/D install.

I noticed the Splendide instructions the unit is 22" deep. The pantry on our 2018 37KT is only 21" deep (where the W/D hook up is). What kind of modifications have people had to make to get their W/D installed? Do I need to remove the "wall" in the back of the pantry? Or is the shape of the back of the unit such that Thor MIGHT have planned and engineered the pantry to fit? HAHAHA

Our unit (the 3rd one, first two damaged in shipping) won't be here until the 7th...

You didn't mention drilling the hole and installing the outside vent fitting. Hope you purchased the VENTED model, NOT the "ventless" which is more often referred to as the "Dryless" model!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 07:12 AM   #3390

[QUOTE=

I noticed the Splendide instructions the unit is 22" deep. The pantry on our 2018 37KT is only 21" deep (where the W/D hook up is). .[/QUOTE]

On our KT, although we didn't install it ourselves, the Splendide vented combo fit fine. I am not aware of anything the dealer had to do special to make it fit.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:30 AM   #3391

Quote:
We’ve left ours for a couple/few months with no issues like that, so I don’t think that sounds right.

If I had to guess, a voltage regulator is failing and the contractor isn’t closing...

Found my generator is working just as it should. I primed it on the first start attempt and must have flooded it. When it did not start this caused a fault code in the generator computer. If you try to start again within 1 minute, it puts the unit in an engine run mode. So the engine runs but no electricity is generated.

Man, this is getting too complicated.
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #3392

Thor Owners Club
Yep, vented... I know better ��
Old 07-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #3393

Going full-time in our 37KT

Hey, all -

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything, as I was deployed to Hawaii in late 2018, and obviously - and sadly! - had to leave our 37KT in storage in AZ. We were supposed to be in Hawaii for three years, but through a largely unfortunate series of events unrelated to work, I curtailed my assignment there and we’re now on our way to San Antonio, with about a month in Phoenix first. My wife and I were originally thinking of buying a place in San Antonio, but we don’t have any plans to stay there beyond early 2023 when I can retire, and we finally decided to just do what we planned on doing a couple years early: going full-time in our Challenger. There’s a nice RV park just a few miles from work, the monthly cost for a site + our RV mortgage payment is about what we’d pay for rent or a house, and we can just pick up and go whenever we feel like it.

Our first task after a ridiculously hectic departure from Hawaii (logistics for ourselves, the cats (!!!), the cars, our household goods that probably won’t be picked up until at least late next month, etc) to get to Phoenix and the RV was to go through all the stuff in the coach to decide what we really need, get rid of what we don’t, order things we needed but didn’t have, and then get everything organized for efficient living. That’s an on-going process!!

Concurrent with that was dealing with the heat! It was 116F when we arrived in Phoenix, and when we pulled the rig out of storage (disconnecting the batteries really works well: she started right up after being in storage for 9 months!), we were cooking during the day, especially the first day when the AC units were trying to cool a 100F+ space on top of the heat bleeding through the chassis (both AC units are 13.5K BTU).

I was originally looking at a Magneshade, but because of the cost and delivery time decided to go with an ADCO 2600 Class A Windshield Cover. That was pretty easy to get on, the main downside being that you have to get on the roof to attach/detach it.

Then I got a roll of Reflectix and some heavy duty velcro and made sun shields for the driver and passenger side windows, along with the kitchen window; the windows on the passenger side are protected by the awnings as long as it’s not blowing too hard.

The heat is also a problem for the water coming in: just the exposed section of hose acts like a solar water heater. We haven’t had to turn on the internal water heater at all. Of course, we don’t have any cool water until we put some in the fridge! So I wrapped the hose in aluminum foil this morning, so we’ll see how that works.

Anyway, I’ll post more for anyone who may be interested or might have suggestions (always interested in hearing other ideas!). I hope everyone’s doing well and stay safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2BC5DD15-844C-4379-AF80-D1A6739FCF07.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	294278  
Old 07-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #3394

Thor Owners Club
Welcome back to the mainland...

The only tidbit I have is for the water, we fill the tank and live off that vs city pressure.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #3395

If I was going to fulltime in a Challenger in the South I'd upgrade the LR AC to 15K, and probably put on those silencers on both units too.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #3396

Quote:
Welcome back to the mainland...

The only tidbit I have is for the water, we fill the tank and live off that vs city pressure.
I’ll keep that in mind! Wrapping the hose in some aluminum foil brought the temp down a lot, to the point we actually had to turn on the water heater, and only took a few minutes.

Now I’m looking at getting a dual filtration and water softening system. The mineral content here (and I’ve read in much of the southwest) is nuts!
Old 07-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #3397

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
If I was going to fulltime in a Challenger in the South I'd upgrade the LR AC to 15K, and probably put on those silencers on both units too.
Yep. I think this fall, once we don’t need to run them all the time, I’ll likely upgrade the front one to a 15K unit. I may also have to replace the rear unit, I’m not sure: it produces an aperiodic very high-pitched whine that makes me wonder if a bearing isn’t going.

As for the silencers, the only thing I don’t like about them is that you don’t have the vents on the ceiling unit to open and dump more air into the LR or BR. That often comes in very handy...
Old 07-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #3398

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
What are these silencers you speak of?
Old 07-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #3399

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webman9113 View Post
Now I’m looking at getting a dual filtration and water softening system. The mineral content here (and I’ve read in much of the southwest) is nuts!
Ive gutted our water bay to install an RO filter... What a rats nest! I’m also planning to install a 4 gallon surge tank in there behind the new panel. The final install will only have a single hose connection that will also feed the black flush and sewer solution unfiltered, through check and vacuum breaks of course.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #3400

You can find more information on the silencers here -
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f256/new...it-427501.html
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:37 PM   #3401

Quote:
Ive gutted our water bay to install an RO filter... What a rats nest! I’m also planning to install a 4 gallon surge tank in there behind the new panel. The final install will only have a single hose connection that will also feed the black flush and sewer solution unfiltered, through check and vacuum breaks of course.
Yeah, I don’t care at all for how the wet bay is laid out. Do you have any pics you can share of what you did with yours?
Old 07-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #3402

[QUOTE=As for the silencers, the only thing I don’t like about them is that you don’t have the vents on the ceiling unit to open and dump more air into the LR or BR. That often comes in very handy...[/QUOTE]

Maybe people who have them can weigh in on this, but I have assumed that without those on-unit vents open that much additional cool air just goes to and out the ceiling vents. I agree that if the silencers cause you to lose cool air volume that is a big negative.

Tags
lippert, slide, thor