RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Thor challenger problems

We have a 2014.5 Challenger 37 GT we love the layout which is the main reason we purchased. Over the years we have owned all,types of Rv's including a campground, so,we have experience. Last week we took our unit out with our camping club. Upon arrival at our destination we found we had lost a piece of trim, which has to have all 3 colors on it. While running out our slide outs the switch fell into the wall having come unattached from the panel, the wife opened a cupboard door and it fell off the hinges, the electric step shoulder bolt for the gear sheared off at the threads and the steps partially retracted.both the steps and the cupboard door had been repaired by the factory warranty department. Of course the unit is out of warranty no help there. I just wonder how much longer things keep failing? At point this will be my last Thor product and I sure do not recommend them.

TerryBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Terry,
We know your pain. It's funny how thing start going wrong once the warranty ends. We had problem after problem with our slides. It's been in the shop 4 times getting one after the other fixed. Cabinet side panels bulging because staples not installed. Doors misaligned, etc. With all these issues, we staring wondering what would go wrong next. With the ATS failing, leaving us without power, we got pretty upset with Thor's QA. Then, took it 1k miles to the gulf, not problem 1. Best vacation we had in years. Decided, we keep it and continue to fix the problems as they arise. We did contact Thor and they may pay for a few slide repairs, still waiting on response. Best of luck..

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Hi Terry, your problems are not unique to Thor by any stretch of the imagination. All motorhomes have the same issues, you just have to stay on top of things and fix them as they present themselves. It can be frustrating to the point you no longer even want the RV but hang in there, once you get all of the little bugs worked out you will enjoy your new Thor.

FWIW, on our Tuscany we have had to repair a handful of cabinet hinge screws that pulled out of the cabinet frame. I remove the door completely and then use Titebond wood glue and a toothpick to fill the hole and allow it to set up overnight, then get a screw about an inch long and predrill the hole a little smaller than the screw, then drive it in by hand until only snug. A new owner shouldn't have to do this I agree, but it is necessary evil.

Keep in mind some of the failures you mention may not be with Thor but with the manufacturers of the equipment, like your electric step that had a broken bolt, or even the slide switch that fell into the wall, I don't know the details but that may be the case.

I don't have very many posts here on this forum and it may sound as if I get a kickback from Thor when I say good things about them but I have no affiliation with them except for the Tuscany we bought a few months ago. Some of the problems with ours irritate me to no end, but in the bigger picture of things, we like the coach and the floorplan, and for what we paid we couldn't get anything better so we are working through our little issues as they arise. And for the record, our Tuscany is every bit as well made as most of them.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Brsides two slides that don't work, steps that won't retract we now have cracks in our windshield! Another 6 hour trip up to Thor. Too bad there isn't a beach nearby we might not feel so disgusted with Thor! Never Thor again! 🍋🍋🍋
Thortogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:21 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thortogo View Post
Brsides two slides that don't work, steps that won't retract we now have cracks in our windshield! Another 6 hour trip up to Thor. Too bad there isn't a beach nearby we might not feel so disgusted with Thor! Never Thor again! ������
Not picking a fight or anything here ...

RV folks never cease to amaze me regarding their interpretation of problems with their coaches.

You didn't say what type of slide system you have so I'll assume it's the Schwintek slides that don't work, like so many hundreds (or more) of others that have the same problem from manufacturers across the board, not Thor's fault entirely.

And your step that won't retract, probably a Kwikee or Lippert, Thor didn't make those either.

Cracks in the windshield could be from rocks, tiny impacts can cause fractures late at night when the temp changes. I've seen a lot of cracked windshields where the customer absolutely guarantees there was no impact, but upon inspection with a jewelers loop you can almost always find the culprit. I don't know your particular situation, I'm just sayin'.

If you bought a Ford truck and had a problem with it's Goodyear tires, would you also say you would never buy a Ford again?

I have learned to expect that at any given time, there is something going to be wrong with my RV that needs attention. I just wish folks would lighten up before trashing the manufacturer. Things are EXPECTED to quit working, that's the reason they supply parts. Did you purchase an extended warranty? If so you were already aware things would break. Heck yes I bought the warranty on our Tuscany, the $10k that it cost me will be eclipsed several times over in the next 5 years, the same would be true if my coach were a Thor, Fleetwood, Tiffin, Winnebego, Newmar and yes even a Prevost conversion.

Another aspect of RV quality concerns revolves around the techs who attempt to resolve one's RV problems. Let's face it, there is a complete lack of techs who take pride in what they do. Most are underpaid and have a poor attitude about their jobs. You know who you are! But that is getting too far off topic.

I hope everything works out so you can enjoy your RV. Life is short, go on vacation.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:35 AM   #6

lol. I have a 2015 Thor Challenger 27ND which I bought in Jan 2015 and everytime I take her out something new breaks on her. Now its my hydraulic jacks, not working. Well at least it stopped working while they were in the up position. Its a good thing I have a few more months of my new warranty available. And yes I did buy an extended warranty. My poor baby has been in the shop for warranty repairs more times than I've been on the road or camping. I'm not blaming Thor though for the failures. Its the individual manufacturers of the systems at fault. I guess repairs are to be expected.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It does fall back on the RV manufacturer. Schwintek slides ability to work properly depend on installation and the slide box being square. There are also much better options than schwintek. RV manufacturers use components that save them money. It comes down to the rv company picking quality components so I throw it right back into their lap. Better components + quality build = Reliablility 100% on the manufacturer.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thor challenger problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryBev View Post
We have a 2014.5 Challenger 37 GT we love the layout which is the main reason we purchased. Over the years we have owned all,types of Rv's including a campground, so,we have experience. Last week we took our unit out with our camping club. Upon arrival at our destination we found we had lost a piece of trim, which has to have all 3 colors on it. While running out our slide outs the switch fell into the wall having come unattached from the panel, the wife opened a cupboard door and it fell off the hinges, the electric step shoulder bolt for the gear sheared off at the threads and the steps partially retracted.both the steps and the cupboard door had been repaired by the factory warranty department. Of course the unit is out of warranty no help there. I just wonder how much longer things keep failing? At point this will be my last Thor product and I sure do not recommend them.

Yup, sounds like a THOR alright.

Cheap components and poor quality construction. The beat goes on ....

Good Luck!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a couple of thoughts.

1. For the heck of it, go to other IRV2 owner forums and see if you find build and/or assembly quality issues. From what little I've done of it, you could scratch through the Thor name and insert many other brand names. We had a Forest River product prior to our Thor. Huge difference in the Customer Service. The Thor team is very responsive - the Forest River team is MIA.

2. Lack of ownership is the second big deal for me. I didn't buy my unit from the sub tier supplier - I bought it from Thor. And at least for the first year (warranty period), I don't expect to be dealing with the sub tiers. I expect Thor to own the problems. To Thor's credit they have.

3. Follow on support is the single most important part of the equation. If you cannot trust the service team - you have a REAL problem.

Just my thoughts.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problems, thor