Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thor engineers strike again

Can anyone explain why you would design any RV without a fresh water gravity feed capability. Maybe I'm living in the dark ages, but I just assumed fresh water gravity feed would be an industry standard.

And then why would you have a microwave/convection oven hood with vent fans and not install vents? My 37KT circulates the odor of whatever I'm cooking very well because it just blows it out the top louvers.
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think Thor has a monopoly on those ideas.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #3

Our 2005 Beaver Patriot has a pressure only fill and an auto fill feature. If you have a winterizing bypass on your water pump, you could use that to fill your tank, but it would take forever (2gpm?) and might overheat and burn out your water pump.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The '00 and '02 Dutch Stars didn't have the gravity fill but I could use the water pump and winterizing hose to fill the tank.
The present rig has autofill and a gravity fill. Best of both worlds now. Gravity fill will be hard to use due to it's location but will work.
At one rally they offered a water tanker refill service, they charged almost double if you had to use a pressure fill system, came out to about $2 a gallon for water!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

microwave/convection oven hood

Our microwave/convection oven hood in our home doesn't have direct venting, but the charcoal filters due a nice job of cutting odors with the fan on. It's just a pain to keep replacing them.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Thor engineers strike again

Having dealt with vented and un-vented convection microwaves. Having all that excess heat vent out when cooking is a huge plus. This is even more so in an RV. Unless it is dead of winter and really cold out.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #7

Our first MH did not have a gravity feed and I liked it better. Simple 4 valve setup with one combination for filling the tank. Set the valves and run water in until full. Less messy than the hose in the hole on the new one.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good comments - all. I guess I'm just spoiled. This is only my second coach so only had my first to use as a base of comparison. In this case, it had an exhaust fan in the hood that was vented out the side wall and I had both the pressure and gravity fill options. And in my case both were very accessible. Guess they are just more things I have to get used to.
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #9

Most certainly not industry standard. My old coach had gravity, new one doesnt. I only used it a few times on the old coach. We stayed for an extended period at the river. I used water totes to get the water, and raised them up on the back of my pickup truck. I then used a syphon hose to syphon the water into the rv. No way was I holding up those cans to pour into that little hole.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Thor's Venetian has both a pressure and a gravity pour feed on their coaches. Additionally, their over the stove vent exits to the outside. So no more removing smoke detector batteries when cooking smoky stuff!
Just everything on this coach is an upgrade over my current Palazzo. Most attractive is the all hydraulic slides. Had my fill of the Schwintek systems.

Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, thor