Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #1

Thor Hurricane Modifications and Repairs

I thought that other Hurricane owners would appreciate information on modifications. I hope others offer their changes up as well. Pictures to,follow,if there is interest.
Modifications
1. Made the CHF to the front only. Really help cut down on the push from passing Semis.
2. Added quick disconnect to propane tank for external grill. Adapted our Coleman Roadtrip to use there. Put connection after regulator so have regulated pressure.
3. Removed sofa end and installed 2 Theater seating power recliners. Fantastic comfort.
4. Added SiriusXM to the Jenson JRV212T. Put the satellite add-on under the removable dash panel.
5. Added plastic slide-out bins to basement storage. Did have large bins, but wanted drawers for easier access to items.
6. Added Dish Network VIP211K reciever. Changed cable connections so that it is fed from the outside connection. Can send Dish signal to all three TVs. We connect Tailgater to the outside connection.
7. Added Samsung Blueray with WiFi connected to main TV via HDMI routed through wall (not easy, but possible).
8. Added WiFi printer on cabinet between closets in bedroom. Want smaller printer and will relocate to new cabinet (see in progress mods).
9. Added strap to passenger fold-out desk. Wife was not able to reach it when buckled in, so strap allows her to open it without much issue.
10. Added roll-out wire pantry shelving. This two sided shelving really is great addition to pantry. (Bought 2 and only needed 1)
11. Added plug-in USB outlets. Enables us to charge iPads, phones, etc. Also found some small USB powered fans that work great at night when the temps are in the Tweens (between hot and cold)
11. Added 110v duplex outlet in junction box that is located under sofa bed. Provides power to Theater Seating

Modifications in Progress
1. Removing the Banquete and installing a custom maple credenza and free-standing dining table. Our Banquete always ended up as a pile of extra pillows, and junk because it was available space. This change will give us a little more openness. Credenza made by local custom cabinet shop. I am staining to match now, then will install after Banquete removed. Table ordered from RV Furniture out of Kansas. We ordered it un stained so we could match cabinets.
2. Ordered Tailgater ladder-mount kit from modyourrv.com. This will provide me a little piece of mind when we leave the coach for a day excursion and not worry about someone walking off with it.
3. Adding programmable thermostat (Honeywell $69 @ Lowes)
4. Adding Thetford tornados to black tanks for cleaning.

Now show me yours....
jpspinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pictures please, especially number 5 slide out drawers in basement storage!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #3

To jpspinks

Hi:

I have a 2013 Thor Hurricane 29X. The outside driver side coax connector works with cable, but not with a portable satellite antenna. I can watch TV if I manually switch the satellite & cable coaxes behind the media switch box.

maybe you can help me so I do not have to ohm out the cables... what does the passenger side outside coax connector connect to in the RV? If I connect the park's cable service or the portable antenna cable to it, none of the TVs get a signal.

For the driver's side connector and cables I am thinking about buying a A-B coax switch to install behind the media switch to change between the satellite cable and the park's cable service, so I can use the driver's side outside connector for both cable & satellite without having to switch cables manually.

I know one cable connects the roof top TV antenna to the TV. I have no idea why the driver's side coax will not allow me to connect a cable or portable antenna to it. Any suggestions or a wiring diagram will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I have not totally confused you with the above descriptions.

Thank you,
Wade
b52bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2006 31D, acquired spring 2011.
1. Replaced failing B/W rear camera and CRT display with color camera and LCD monitor.
2. Replaced awning rails along both side with awning/gutter rails. No more black stains.
3. Replaced analog 27 TV with a 32 Vizio digital.
4. CHF both ends and Koni's on the front.
5. Air bags on all corners and 150 PSI compressor and air tank.
6. Extend-a stay propane tap for gas grill.
7. Tank spray cleaners on both black and gray.
8. Replace both vents/fans with Fantastic Fans.
9. Added switch and wiring to enable electric heater in water heater. Can't understand why it came from the factory with a dual fuel heater but no switch.
10. Added bug screen in front of grill. Stopped the 50 MPH whistle and keeps bugs out of radiator.
11. Added Big Foot hydraulic levelers.
12. Added external speaker on the curb side. wired into dash radio front speakers thru a speaker switch in the compartment above the driver.
13. Replaced kitchen sink facet with a pull out sprayer type.
14. Replace bath area facet.
15. Replaced the Elkhart blue bed of nails mattress with memory foam.
16. Replaced convertor/charger with a smart charger with high power capabilities.
17. Install 2 six volt GC2 batteries.
18. added landing lights to help backing into a camp site after dark.
19. Replaced rusting upper awning anchor brackets with stainless steel.

Did I miss something? Top updates - gutters, jacks and the digital TV.

Images of most of the stuff.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1084592...eat=directlink
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by b52bomber View Post
I have a 2013 Thor Hurricane 29X. The outside driver side coax connector works with cable, but not with a portable satellite antenna. I can watch TV if I manually switch the satellite & cable coaxes behind the media switch box.
Yes, a portable satellite dish must have a direct connection to the receiver. No switches, splitters, combiners and such. As long as the coax inside the coach does not have a splitter for the front, rear or external TV you can us it to feed the satellite receiver by disconnecting the coax from the media switch and connecting directly to the sat receiver. I leave mine connected to the receiver all the time. Rather use my sat service then park cable.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
wiring new backup camera for 31d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
2006 31D, acquired spring 2011.
1. Replaced failing B/W rear camera and CRT display with color camera and LCD monitor.
2. Replaced awning rails along both side with awning/gutter rails. No more black stains.
3. Replaced analog 27 TV with a 32 Vizio digital.
4. CHF both ends and Koni's on the front.
5. Air bags on all corners and 150 PSI compressor and air tank.
6. Extend-a stay propane tap for gas grill.
7. Tank spray cleaners on both black and gray.
8. Replace both vents/fans with Fantastic Fans.
9. Added switch and wiring to enable electric heater in water heater. Can't understand why it came from the factory with a dual fuel heater but no switch.
10. Added bug screen in front of grill. Stopped the 50 MPH whistle and keeps bugs out of radiator.
11. Added Big Foot hydraulic levelers.
12. Added external speaker on the curb side. wired into dash radio front speakers thru a speaker switch in the compartment above the driver.
13. Replaced kitchen sink facet with a pull out sprayer type.
14. Replace bath area facet.
15. Replaced the Elkhart blue bed of nails mattress with memory foam.
16. Replaced convertor/charger with a smart charger with high power capabilities.
17. Install 2 six volt GC2 batteries.
18. added landing lights to help backing into a camp site after dark.
19. Replaced rusting upper awning anchor brackets with stainless steel.

Did I miss something? Top updates - gutters, jacks and the digital TV.

Images of most of the stuff.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1084592...eat=directlink

WoW! You really did the full-meal deal on that unit. I was thinking of changing out the CRT backup camera on my 2006 Thor 31D as well, and was wondering if you were able to use all the existing power and video cables from the old system?
I just got my 31D 3 days ago, and first priority is to ditch all the CRT displays in it; they really date it.
Iceman-31D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Great mods! I see you modified the flip-out desk on the passenger side. I have a 2006 Thor 31D, and there is no desk... Was that an add-on?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #8

in your photo link you show a very clean front cap to roof joint. What did you use to achieve that. New owner of a 2011 Hurricane myself and suspect a leak in that joint
rockhill2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-31D View Post
WoW! You really did the full-meal deal on that unit. I was thinking of changing out the CRT backup camera on my 2006 Thor 31D as well, and was wondering if you were able to use all the existing power and video cables from the old system?
I just got my 31D 3 days ago, and first priority is to ditch all the CRT displays in it; they really date it.
Iceman, sorry I haven't been back on this forum for a while. Yes you can reuse the Thor installed cables but I had to solder new ends for the different camera and monitor manufacture.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
4. Adding Thetford tornados to black tanks for cleaning.

Now show me yours....[/QUOTE]

Hey JP, will you be putting the Thetford tank cleaner yourself ?

S/
Safari-rick
Grayhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:43 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhill2124 View Post
in your photo link you show a very clean front cap to roof joint. What did you use to achieve that. New owner of a 2011 Hurricane myself and suspect a leak in that joint
When I reworked the seam I removed ALL the old sealant and hardware. As much as I could I scraped out the dried out butyl tape between the cap the roof and replaced with PVC tape or liquid sealant where I didn't have enough room to get tape into. Drilled new holes and screwed the cap down with stainless screws with sealant on the threads. Ran a bead of sealant along the exposed edge then covered everything with 2" EternaBond tape. Need to do the rear before it starts leaking.

The major change was I eliminated the retaining bar that ran across the cap and was screwed down. When I drilled new screw hole I shorten the gap between the hardware to compensate. It's been three years since I reworked the seal and no problems so far.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thor 31-D dash removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Iceman, sorry I haven't been back on this forum for a while. Yes you can reuse the Thor installed cables but I had to solder new ends for the different camera and monitor manufacture.

Thanks a lot Sweetbriar. I presume if you remove the obvious screws on the dash face you can get at the back of the TV? Did you have to disconnect any dash gauges/switches?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #13

Our dash cracked around the old b&w crt. Made new piece from scrap. Mounted an hdmi capable monitor. Can display backup and laptop over hdmi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140619_205945-1.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	69256  
phnguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-31D View Post
Thanks a lot Sweetbriar. I presume if you remove the obvious screws on the dash face you can get at the back of the TV? Did you have to disconnect any dash gauges/switches?
The dash will come out about four inches before you have to start disconnecting stuff. I can't recall if I had to or not so must not have been a very difficult project other wise I would have remembered.

Wholesale Electronic Products - Gadgets, and PC accessories address of the internet store front where I found the color system for less than $100.

Tags
cat, hurricane, repair, repairs, thor