RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Thor Lemon Law Buy Back

I was looking at a 2013 Super C two days ago. The dealer says it is a Thor Lemon Law Buy Back. They claim the unit went back to Thor, who refurbished it. I can find out from Thor what they corrected but my question is: Is being labelled Lemon Law Buy Back similar to an automobile salvage title? The unit is being offered for a really good price but I am afraid that I would never be able to sell it in the future, if I ever wanted to.

txhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Lemonsare for Seafood and making drinks...........along with other various uses......... Keep looking........if I were you.
A salvage title comes from something being totaled, and paid off by a insurance company........so I would say no. It would have a regular title , if I were to make a guess.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
totally agree with what he said!!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

So if the seller is disclosing this to you--my thought is it is attached to the title someway?? Making it so you will have to disclose it too when you sell it.

Is the seller a dealer. If so I'm sure it is attached to the title. Dealers most likely not be that forthcoming.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I'd gather more info, I know of a coach that was taken back, primarily
because the owner was very insistent, had an attorney, and found
a VP at Thor who was a good friend of a good friend. Not that much
wrong with the coach, factory likely made it better than new
for the next purchaser !
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

Lemon Law buy back

Unless you're very good at repairing everything from cabinets, to engines, brake systems, plumbing, electricity; and you like doing such things, then I'd walk away, regardless of the price.
I tell friends, or others not to get into RVing under the best of conditions unless they can at least do minor repairs, or if they aren't exactly, "...the most ambitious" people I know.
It is some of the most fun my wife and I can have together, and it makes for new opportunities, friendships, and adventures that we would have never have had otherwise. None-the-less, you may well find yourself sitting alongside a roadway making repairs, or 'engineering" something to get yourself to a garage.
loulyn147602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is no standardized factory buy-back program that I have ever read about.

And, "Lemon Laws" vary from state to state as they interpret Title 15 of the US Code...
http://www.usa.gov/topics/travel/car...rranties.shtml
So certainly not a factory "Lemon Law" program.

The state consumer affairs offices oversee these programs:
TxDMV.GOV - Lemon Law
And
Motor Vehicle Warranty and Lemon Law | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

I would submit that the Dealer in the OP's story is expounding on a re-work of a turn-in or trade-in. Seems like a risky sales tactic that would only cause more questions. But the title should not be a Salvaged Vehicle, unless an insurer "totaled" the vehicle.

The title of a Salvaged Vehicle will be plainly marked...and that vehicle will probably not be eligible for traditional financing.

TMC does have a Factory Service Center on CR 15 in Elkhart, IN, and reportedly does top quality work, so the refurb story is feasible:
http://thormotorcoach.com/contact
But, most warranty work is done by authorized service centers. A call to TMC will answer the question about the re-work, and they will want the VIN to check factory service history.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I am going to say in this case, Thor was made to buy this unit back under the state's Lemon laws.........once bought back, they(Thor) Have to disclose that it was in fact a Lemon law buy back once they have been forced by law to buy it back, along with all costs occurred, from the purchase, and any money spent trying to get it repaired, back to the buyer. In Pa. , if they take a vehicle back on their own(buy it back) they DO NOT have to tell a new buyer anything! If it is a forced buy back.......by law, they have to tell, and it is on record.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #9

In California, it will always have a trail where it can be traced back to a Lemon Law Buy Back, and to my knowledge has to be made known when selling it either by dealer or private person. I would recommend not buying it more for when the deal is "great" there is always a reason, and you get what you pay for. When you are spending this much money to begin with, cutting corners to save a few bucks usually comes back to haunt you.

I had to do the Lemon Law with a Chevy Suburban, and I would feel bad for anyone who ultimately ended up with that vehicle. I don't think it could ever be fixed right and I feel that a lot of the issues were due to a bent frame that they say wasn't, but every time they fixed it the repairs would fail within a few hundred miles. That is why I pushed for the Lemon Law Buyback, so at least whoever bought it knew what they were getting into and were forwarned.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Something doesn't smell quite right. Been in this RV game since I was a kid watching my dad wheel and deal on the rigs he bought, and I've been doing it myself for a while now. This is the first time I've ever heard of a dealer admitting up front that it was a lemon law buyback. Interesting.

Sounds like you are right on the ball checking to see if it affects the title like a salvage would. Again, since I've never heard of this, I have no idea, but it should be fairly easy to find out for sure before signing on the dotted line. I would also think if they are so willing to admit it was a lemon law buyback, they should be just as forthcoming with a list of the major issues that were resolved.

Having said all of this, I happen to be what most would consider more than just "handy". I've bought older units, done major improvements, and continued to trade up. I'm always amazed at what some people consider major issues, and have no intention of even thinking about fixing what I consider simple items themselves. These are usually the units in the "sweet spot" that someone willing to put a little time and effort in can end up getting a decent deal.

I always thought "lemon laws" were mostly myths anyway. Please let us know how this turns out. I for one, would love to hear the rest of the story!
Old 03-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #11

Lemon Laws are not myths and in California they have to list every item that was fixed in considering the application of the Lemon Law. It is a big deal to the dealer/manufacturer and they will try and fix anything to avoid having to go this route as once it is determined to be a lemon, they lose big time.

They are not always fixes that the general home type mechanic can fix or be eliminated through remodeling or upgrading. I have done all my own maintenance on cars, boats and Rv's since I was a kid. On the Suburban, the dash kept cracking(3X), the motor mounts kept breaking(2x), the seats shook if nobody was in them(never could fix it), they couldn't do anything to keep the alignment in place(adjusted 4X), if you went more than a couple hundred feet without holding the steering wheel with pressure in the opposite direction, you could drift over three lanes. All the other things, and there were several, I either fixed myself or just lived with. So it is not always something you can fix, or live with. Just imagine spending $38K( several years ago) and driving down the freeway listening to your dash crack and pop, then having it completely torn out/replace three times. And one of the time it was in the service bay some idiot crashed into it. Not something a new buyer should have to live with. It took me nine months to get this resolved, which took the fun out of buying a new car.

I will say that when the rubber hit the road, Chevy Customer Service stepped up and made everything right, they are the ones that actually declared it a lemon and not to re-sell it. They ordered me a new one that was a year newer, did a collateral exchange, so no tax or license fees, and it didn't cost me a penny. In my case it was more of a problem with the dealer than Chevy, so the Lemon Law is no "myth".
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #12

In general, I would stay away from anything that was any kind of buyback.

That said, I am a sucker for a good deal, so I'd consider it, albeit warily. RIght off, before even spending much time on it, I'd ask:

1) are they offering any kind of warranty on it?
2) how awesome is the deal? For me, it would have to be an enormous discount.

from those two data points I'd start making decisions. But if there was no warranty and a 10 or 20 percent discount, I wouldn't even consider it (just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking is "worthwhile").

Steve
Old 03-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I would be very careful. I'm filing lemon law on mine. In 11 months, my 2014 Super C 33SW spent 172 days in the shop. The slides are a known weak point on these, and they will almost certainly give you trouble.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
The sour taste of poor quality will remain long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor