Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2020, 01:22 AM   #1

Thor Majestic 19G (Cruise America)

Hi,

My wife, our small boys and I usually fly overseas once or twice a year. With all this COVID-19 stuff, we thought we would try RV trips for at least the next couple years until we can fly again. The thought of staying at hotels and cruise ships is really gross to me now, too.

We typically drive from San Francisco Bay Area to San Diego a few times a year as well.

As such, we are considering purchasing a used Thor Majestic 19G from Cruise America. They look really basic, which is fine. Our boys are 3 and 6, and they seem to really like it (we stopped by Cruise America today to check it out.)

Few questions hopefully you experts may answer:
1) Is the 19G too small? 21ft is the max the side of my driveway can handle without encroaching on the sidewalk. Am I wasting my time?
2) is Thor a reputable brand? I used to be a mechanic a few decades ago, so while I can fix things, I’d rather drive it. I do realize I’m posting this a Thor sub-forum, so the answers may be biased.
3) I read nightmare stories about Good Sam service plans. What else is there available? I understand Cruise America has their own warranty as well
4) Anybody else buy a 19G from Cruise America? How was your experience?
5) For some reason the models in CA don’t have an awning. Is it difficult to add one?
6) Is there an equivalent of Tesla Autopilot?
7) Is there am EV motorhome platform available?
8) I can buy the motorhome with cash, but I understand there are certain tax benefits of there is a loan on it? Admittedly I have not Googled this one up, but will soon.

Thanks!
D0n6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2020, 06:19 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll give this a try.

1) Is the 19G too small? 21ft is the max the side of my driveway can handle without encroaching on the sidewalk. Am I wasting my time?

Each of us will have our own needs regarding size. 21 is a bit tight at least for me. At about day 10 on the road the walls start closing in with my 30' coach.

2) is Thor a reputable brand? I used to be a mechanic a few decades ago, so while I can fix things, I’d rather drive it. I do realize I’m posting this a Thor sub-forum, so the answers may be biased.

If you read enough and get past the bias ownership brings (good and bad) there is no perfect or even near perfect chassis or house builder. My Ford/Thor rig hasn't been problem free but we've never had to come home early or been left stranded for any problem.

3) I read nightmare stories about Good Sam service plans. What else is there available? I understand Cruise America has their own warranty as well

Again there will be a bias with any service plan. I avoid them while there are owners that won't leave the driveway without. You'll need to read the fine print regarding what is and isn't covered. What you should look for is emergency roadside assistance. This is towing, tire changing and such. Usually about $100 to $200 a year. Use it once and it pays for itself. Stick with providers that specialize in RVs rather than something like a once size fits all.

No experience with either.

5) For some reason the models in CA don’t have an awning. Is it difficult to add one?

Not unusual for a rental to not have an awning. Leave it extended in heavy weather and you can damage it. Remember renter usually have little experience and might not remember to bring the awning in when the weather starts to turn. Yes, easy to retrofit but there are alternative such as an Easy Up for a tenth of the cost.

Not at this time. At best basic cruise control to maintain speed.

7) Is there am EV motor home platform available?
Not at this time.

8) I can buy the motor home with cash, but I understand there are certain tax benefits of there is a loan on it? Admittedly I have not Googled this one up, but will soon.

The tax benefit is interest on the loan might be deductible as the rig might be classified as a second home. That's might, several times. You'll need to seek out professional guidance regarding if you can deduct the interest. Remember the Feds got Al Capone on taxes not all the other stuff he might have been involved in.

Good luck with your search and look beyond the dealerships for a coach. For sale by owner listings are full of good (and some not so good) rigs at lower prices than what you'll find via dealers.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:19 AM   #3

Forgot to say thanks. I did end up getting a 19G from Cruise America and we love it. Being a refurbished unit, it's not perfect, but nothing insurmountable.

All of our trips have been rather short thus far, and all of our planned trips are also short. We could almost use a smaller rig (if only there was a 18' Class A).

Thanks again for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I'll give this a try.

Each of us will have our own needs regarding size. 21 is a bit tight at least for me. At about day 10 on the road the walls start closing in with my 30' coach.

If you read enough and get past the bias ownership brings (good and bad) there is no perfect or even near perfect chassis or house builder. My Ford/Thor rig hasn't been problem free but we've never had to come home early or been left stranded for any problem.

Again there will be a bias with any service plan. I avoid them while there are owners that won't leave the driveway without. You'll need to read the fine print regarding what is and isn't covered. What you should look for is emergency roadside assistance. This is towing, tire changing and such. Usually about $100 to $200 a year. Use it once and it pays for itself. Stick with providers that specialize in RVs rather than something like a once size fits all.

No experience with either.

Not unusual for a rental to not have an awning. Leave it extended in heavy weather and you can damage it. Remember renter usually have little experience and might not remember to bring the awning in when the weather starts to turn. Yes, easy to retrofit but there are alternative such as an Easy Up for a tenth of the cost.

Not at this time. At best basic cruise control to maintain speed.

7) Is there am EV motor home platform available?
Not at this time.

8) I can buy the motor home with cash, but I understand there are certain tax benefits of there is a loan on it? Admittedly I have not Googled this one up, but will soon.

The tax benefit is interest on the loan might be deductible as the rig might be classified as a second home. That's might, several times. You'll need to seek out professional guidance regarding if you can deduct the interest. Remember the Feds got Al Capone on taxes not all the other stuff he might have been involved in.

Good luck with your search and look beyond the dealerships for a coach. For sale by owner listings are full of good (and some not so good) rigs at lower prices than what you'll find via dealers.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:44 PM   #4

I believe there are a couple of Van manufacturers doing lane control and TACC now. (Traffic aware cruise control). It might not be Tesla autopilot but better than dumb (standard) cruise control.

Now if Tesla ever makes a Van? Or better yet, sells their semis to a Super C manufacturer. That would be very cool. .
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I believe there are a couple of Van manufacturers doing lane control and TACC now. (Traffic aware cruise control). It might not be Tesla autopilot but better than dumb (standard) cruise control.

Now if Tesla ever makes a Van? Or better yet, sells their semis to a Super C manufacturer. That would be very cool. .
In terms of vehicle autonomy, nobody even comes close to Tesla AutoPilot. Our Tesla with HW3 is so amazing and even our older Tesla with AP1 is lightyears ahead of anything else I've driven. Am curious about GM super cruise, though.

Dreaming about this one.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #6

As far as I know, Supercruise is a geofenced system like Waymo. It apparently works pretty good but of course is limited to a very small number of areas. In comparison to Tesla which works anywhere there is a reasonably good line.

Have you got the 2020.40.4 download yet. We find it has all but eliminated phantom breaking and the speed control is almost perfect. Still gets befuddled at intersections with train tracks just before or after but overall it’s better. It also slows down more appropriately for tight corners on twisty roads. Not too slow or fast.

Next week the first downloads will be going out with the new rewrite. I suspect there will be some youtube videos leaked from the test group. Should be interesting.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor