Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 27.1: What's Your Experience?

I am fishing for any and all owner experiences with this coach. Drivability, Gas Milage, Problems, Things you like about it, etc.
Thanks,
DaveG
dcrbmwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I moved your thread here for the owners responses. Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #3

You moved from where to here? As a total newbie I don't know where here is. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrbmwc View Post
You moved from where to here? As a total newbie I don't know where here is. Thanks.
You're now in the Thor owners forum . You'll get responses here for sure.
Good luck.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #5

OK. Thanks so much.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I have a 2013 27.1 bought new in April 2013. I like the configuration but quality control at Thor was horrible. Many hours are spent when you bring it home just adjusting items i. e. cabinet doors, locks, etc. the owners manual is almost useless. It covers about 6 different coach lines made by Thor and no individual models.
First thing to do is read the ACE thread that's in the Ford Chassis section, I think. Then read and perform the CHF (cheap handling fix), it will make all the difference in the world in handling. From the factory I thought it handled poorly.
Here's more stuff to consider how much it might bother you. Because of the overhead bed, you have no interior lights for the drivers area, none whatsoever. The cab has no speakers for the stereo, the nearest speakers are on the ceiling in the living area. I have to blast it to hear it above normal road noise. When the AC is on, I have to turn the tv volume to maximum and even then it's hard to hear sitting at the dinette. Some switches are unmarked and do not match up to owners manual or even with other coaches of the same model. It's like Thor used several different vendors for the same parts.
The good news is within this website there are threads addressing solutions for every one of these problems. I've put 7k on mine so far and am quite happy with it. I've bought the 5 Star Tune but have yet to take a trip since I got it. The shifting is horrible and this should take care of it. Read up on the 5 star Tune in this forum also.
Tired of typing on this phone. Overall I like mine, just can't figure out why Thor did some things the way they did when the right way would have been just as easy. It's like they've never taken a road trip in their MH. Remember, ACE is an entry level, inexpensive Class A.
TravelingTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #7

Thanks for taking the time to post this information. At what speeds do you drive and what kind of mileage have you experienced?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #8

Still fishing for your experience with this coach. Especially gas mileage with cruise control vs without. Thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Still fishing for your experience with this coach. Especially gas mileage with cruise control vs without. Thanks
We have the 29.2, from our experience you can expect between 7-9 MPG. It doesn't matter if you tow a vehicle or not, we seem to get the same MPG, we usually keep it about 65 MPH set on cruise control, also always have the TOW/HAUL button set.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #10

Thanks for your information, H3OHIO. When you are using cruise control do you feel the engine rpm is too high sometimes? If so, is the engine more calm when you are controlling the throttle?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I only checked mpg once. I try to drive 65 mph and I use cruise on level roadways. If cruise is on with the slightest incline the engine downshifts to 4k rpm and higher and feels like the gas is passing thru a firehose. That is the primary reason for buying the 5star Tune, which I haven't done a trip with yet. MPG has been 7-9, which is about the same that I got with 2 different Tundras towing a 28' TT.
TravelingTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3OHIO View Post
We have the 29.2, from our experience you can expect between 7-9 MPG. It doesn't matter if you tow a vehicle or not, we seem to get the same MPG, we usually keep it about 65 MPH set on cruise control, also always have the TOW/HAUL button set.
I'm the same, We pull a Jeep, and pulling or not, it seems the same, 8 to 9 mpg. I have the 5 star tune, use tow / haul mode and cruise control when I can. I'm fairly consistent when driving, tying to keep my foot out of it.

When we were looking at this coach at the local RV show, the blow hard sales guy from General RV was telling everyone that the 29.2 gets 10 to 12 mpg all day long, towing or not. People were eating it up. When I asked him where he got his data and if he could get me the source, he said he had to make a call and walked away. I called Thor and asked them about the 10 to 12 mpg and they laughed at me, so I sent them the audio clip of the sales guy. They were not amused. Sales people will tell you anything, and the sad part is most people listening don't know any better. I called the dealership every once and a while for the first year and would leave a messsage for the general manager and play him the audio clip. It was kinda fun. General RV sucks hard.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #13

Thorchini,

Wat differences did you notice before and after the 5 Star Tune?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Thorchini,

Wat differences did you notice before and after the 5 Star Tune?
Like everyone else has stated, the shifting was terrible with the original setup. With the 5 star tune, I can run 87 instead of 91 gas, throttle response is greatly improved, and trans shifting is much, much, much better. Really, things you can actually notice. I can actually use the cruise even when on small grades or towing. Like any vehicle, you need to learn how to drive it, and know it's sweet spots. It just seems so much better with the 5 star tune. I am much happier with the performance of this V10 with the 5 star, really happy with the setup.
Thorchini is offline   Reply With Quote