Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2023, 03:02 PM   #1

Thor Motor Coach upholstery replacement

We have a 2015 Tusvany XTE 34ST, 20K miles.
the vinyl has separated from backing, and is falling out as you watch it!
has anyone else have this problem?
Any resolutions from Thor. or flex steel?
just a shame they put this material in a nice coach.
thx for lookin and hope somebody has a solution.
RaynCarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2023, 04:07 PM   #2

Almost all Thor coaches 2014-2016+ have this issue. The problem is not just with Thor may other manufacturer's have this issue. Our 2015 Ace started peeling just as we sold it in 2019. Our current 2016 Miramar peeled in 2021. We had the captains chairs , dinette reupholstered last year, had already replaced the sofa.

Have not heard of Thor participating in any repair/replacement costs.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:07 AM   #3

Following. Our 2014.5 Challenger has one chair (drivers) just starting to flake in a couple of places. About 80,000 miles.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:31 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I had to replace the sofa peeling was getting very bad need to do the captain chairs after this summers trips bought some covers they fit and work ok, always cleaning the pleather off the floor, talked to camping world and flex steel several times. Not a remedy for it even after had the fabric guard they offered at the dealer. I use REC PRO and got a cloth sofa/ recliner, made all the difference in the world fits perfect in that spot, took the dinette backers out and put in solid pine, stain and polyurethane, works out great will have the cushions covered when I do the chairs. safe travel all.
Mike4118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:42 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Vinyl peeling 2016 Thor Freedom Elite 28h

Just last year, the vinyl is flaking off of the backing and leaving a mess. I'm using a matching throw fabric just to cover, and don't know what a reupholstery would cost for sofa and dinette.

2016 Thor Freedom Elite 28h
keymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:57 PM   #6

Do a search on here and you will find a lot of problems with this. Flexsteel, now out of business, used some Chinese fake leather and all coaches have the same problem. there is a lady that bought the patterns from Flexsteel and makes replacement covers for them. Someone will most likely come along with her name.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:01 PM   #7

just put flexsteel in the search box up top and you will find lots of answers and you should be able to find the name of the lady that bought the patterns from flexsteel and she makes replacement covers for them.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:55 PM   #8

pleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaynCarla View Post
We have a 2015 Tusvany XTE 34ST, 20K miles.
the vinyl has separated from backing, and is falling out as you watch it!
has anyone else have this problem?
Any resolutions from Thor. or flex steel?
just a shame they put this material in a nice coach.
thx for lookin and hope somebody has a solution.
I have a 2018 Jayco greyhawk. This was the first year that Thor got their hook into Jayco. I have the same steelcase garbage that was used in most coaches at the time. Within 1 year the material on every covered furniture began to flake. It was like a snow storm with all the flakes flying around. It was an unsightly mess. And of course no recompense from Jayco (Thor). Well $3000 later i recovered every piece in an upgraded material. I'll betcha didn't plan on that expense when you bought your coach. Once it starts there is no fixing it. just bite the bullet and get it done.

=
bladerunner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gotta call Brenda in Dubuque Iowa.
She has all the patterns for Flexsteel stuff, and she can recommend better material.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:15 AM   #10

Cost me $1,500 for the two captains chairs and the 6 dinette cushions. $500 for the material from RecPro and $1,000 for labor. Had the work done in Liberty, NC. I removed the seats and cushions, took them to the upholstery shop, reinstalled myself. Took 4 months, 3 months waiting our turn, 1 month to complete the work.

Most estimates were $1,000 per chair or more, labor only. Took a while to find this guy.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:36 AM   #11

Thor ACE upholstery failed

I had same issue as described. A local shop recovered my seats and two cushions in dinette. I removed the wall mounted cushions and he made two new cushions to match seat cushions. I moved the table closer to wall to fill the gap left by the wall mounted pads. New material much better than original, although I chose vinyl over the much higher cost leather.
scis438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:25 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I looked up Flexsteel and think this is the person that does RV upholstery. The post is 5+ years old.

Lisa Bauer
Bauer RV Upholstery LLC
449 Clarke Dr.
Dubuque, IA 52001
563-542-4902
keymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:38 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
2017 Thor Aria 3601

Our couch first started to peel, then the dinette. So far the captains chairs are holding up.
I was at the Thor factory and talked to a upholstery repair vendor about the issue. He said many furniture manufacturers used vinyl that had a recycled component which did not hold up, separating the vinyl from the backing.
We ended up recovering the couch and dinette with a cloth product by the trade name Crypton.
We camped next to a Forest River coach last fall and their entire coach was coming apart with the same issue. Not a Thor issue, but a furniture suppliers issue.
Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:44 AM   #14

Our previous coach, a 2016 Vegas, had the same peeling upholstery issue with the captains chairs and the jack knife couch. Had all three reupholstered and a few months later traded it for a 2016 Hurricane with even worse seats. I factored that into the cost of the trade. Had a different guy do the captains at about the same cost and replaced the J sofa with dual recliners from C Wurld. If misery loves company there's a lot of it involving bad fake leather.
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, coach, motor, replace, replacement, thor, thor motor coach