RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thor Observation

When new recall lists are published I have noticed over the years that Thor products are seldon on the list. Considering they are the biggest mfg. of RV's I consider that a positive indicator as to Thor overall quality.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And, isn't it true that every recall on TMC RV's was actually from a vendor? Kwikee step, Bosch brakes, etc.

Our Thor RV (Damon was acquired by Thor in '03, becoming a big part of the TMC brand in '10) is about to turn 10 years old and never fails to impress us that a coach built under the motto 'Value By Design" is so reliable and well built

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #3

THOR Recalls

I have owned my THOR only since October, and is has already been recalled, for the steps. Recalls aside, I have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS with this motorhome, to the point we were only able to use it for the first time last week, 5 MONTHS after purchase! That, to me, is ridiculous!

It had a leaking roof, radio didn't work, generator would not stay working(still doesn't), alignment was way, way out, water pump failed immediately, entire front end, all king pins failed, necessitating 2 months of shop time at Ford, wall slide failed in first week, "repaired" twice so far, auto leveling system finally works after twice in shop, overhead bunk has failed on every activation, still waiting for it to be repaired. The Harris house batteries of course were bad. The steps NEVER failed, but were replaced under recall.

Working wth THOR Warranty service has been like having a root canal without novocaine! I highly recommend to ALL to forgo the purchase new experience from THOR. My entire first year experience has consisted of doing unpaid QA inspections and repairs for THOR's shoddy workmanship. For this "privilege" I paid a huge premium over buying a 1-2 year old coach and buying a third party warranty. The biggest premium I have paid is making a coach payment, storage payment, insurance payment, to have it sitting in various repair facilities for over 5 months, without being able to use it. Sound like fun to you?

I have quit getting angry about it. I just make sure I let everyone know of my personal experience. Yours, as they say, may be different.

The most disappointing, and irritating part of the whole experience, has been THOR's attitude. I can sum it up easily; Caveat Emptor!

I have learned a valuable lesson, and its a little too late to benefit personally. Never buy a new motorhome, unless you have time, and expect, the first year to be nothing but repairs to items that should have been inspected, and repaired, before leaving the factory.

Also, that warranty only goes for 1 year. When you throw in the wait to get a dealer appointment, 3-6 weeks, the time for the dealer to inspect, 1-3 days, the time to wait for parts, 3-6 weeks, wait for repair, 1-2 weeks, even the "quickest repair" has a minimum 7 WEEKS LEAD TIME. When you add in the number of things wrong, you may get 2-3 trips, and any problems that arise fixed, under warranty, tops! With a private warranty you can shop prices and lead times to several repair shops, a big advantage.

Bottom line, to me its just not worth paying the premium to buy a new coach from the dealer. The biggest NEGATIVE to buying the a new coach from the dealer is the FACTORY WARRANTY, and the fact that the first year you are going to have it in the shop more than camping.
LeRoi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoi2 View Post
, I let everyone know of my personal experience.
Seems to me once is enough. Most of us have read all or most of your posts and yes you have problems. The horse is dead. Take advantage of the lemon law and buy a Forest River. We are on our second Thor product. Both had problems. In the end when dealers failed to resovle problems. THOR took care of us.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Seems to me once is enough. Most of us have read all or most of your posts and yes you have problems. The horse is dead. Take advantage of the lemon law and buy a Forest River. We are on our second Thor product. Both had problems. In the end when dealers failed to resovle problems. THOR took care of us.
The same here!

On my second and love it. They all have their problems but I think Thor has less then others I read about.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We did pretty good only 5 years to get the coach up to speed (slow) with all the chassis improvements that NEEDED to be made. Now it is a "keeper". Bottom line buy a used RV that has most or all the bugs removed and mods completed at a fantastic price. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
We did pretty good only 5 years to get the coach up to speed (slow) with all the chassis improvements that NEEDED to be made. Now it is a "keeper". Bottom line buy a used RV that has most or all the bugs removed and mods completed at a fantastic price. Sanford
If everybody bought used - the market would dry up and production would stop. Someone has to suffer the problems. We bought two new. So we are doing our share to keep the production line moving, create jobs and replenish the supply of good used RV's. But I think we are done. Our Challenger, even with it's problems, made us happy campers and now happy full timers. Sorry one less used RV on the market.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #8

I bought a 10 year old Thor Hurricane 30q several years back. It did need some overdue maintenance on the chassis, sealing of the roof components. The "Thor" parts of the RV worked fine. Only two areas that I thought odd or were just poor workmanship. One there was not a furnace vent in the bathroom so it was fairly cold in the winter. Two was the drawer hardware and construction was just plain crap. May have changed in later years.

I did not think much of the outside storage bins as most were too small, too shallow, or both to be used for much. But others may think they were adequate.

Overall though not a bad unit for the price and options included versus some of the other similar product.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #9

Recall list?? Heck I didn't think any manufacturers ever made recalls. Maybe something now & then on components Steps? That to me is just a supplier.

If Thor or other RV companies ever would do the proper things on recalls you would see your so called list skyrocket!!

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Wow
I see recalls listed every month in the FMCA magazine.
Am I missing something?
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess we're as guilty as ctpres - after some heavy use (11 months ownership, 17500 miles, 30 states, numerous nights with 6 grandkids and 2 kids, 2 months dry camping) we love our Challenger. Problems - yep. Fixes - yep.

When you list out the features - all of them - the Challenger (IMO) is the best deal out there. So I guess that is why we are happy with our coach.

LeRoi2 - first off sorry you've had such a hard time with your coach. Second, it is your right to be unhappy. And mine to very happy. Not a suck up - just my view of my coach. Hope that doesn't offend you and please don't be personally offensive to other posters.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hilarious. I quite literally laughed out loud when I read a post that used the name Thor and Quality in the same sentence. We barely got to use ours in the first year of ownership. We had to file a lemon law suit to get ours repaired so we could finally start using it in our second year of ownership.

RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor