Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Thor Outlaw Toy Hauler quality?

I have read that Thor is becoming one of, if not thee largest MH mfg. in the country. I have looked recently at their Outlaw Toy Hauler and it intrigues me. However last year I looked at the Thor Citation at my local RV dealership and I felt that the quality just
wasn't quite there yet.
Are they improving quality wise? Are there any major issues with owning one of them? I'd like to think that their growth is a direct result of a broad product appeal. Surely other folks are seeing something attractive in their product line.
If we were to purchase the Outlaw Toy Hauler with the Diesel engine & generator that they offer would that be a good choice?
Lastly, do they stand by their customers?
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #2

I have a 2014 Outlaw and love it. You may want to join other Outlaw owners in this thread, you may get more responses, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can have as much quality as you can afford. The Tuscany has a great reputation for fit and finish but the ACE lacks quite a bit.

I personally that material selection aside, Thor has bee going through some major growing pains with the assimilation of so many smaller manufacturers, purchasing the old Monaco factory that gave them an additional 17 acres "under roof", and keeping up with the new demand for their products that quality had fallen back quite a bit.

As time goes on, I think their designs and the quality should pick up.

Having said all that and being an owner of a 2008 Outlaw Scorpion, I found the quality and design features to be well up to the standards I'd expect from a $90k Class A motor home. The materials and construction methodology used require TLC and a delicate touch. The newer designs are more in line with the Challenger line and quite a bit better than the earlier models. But, they are still controlling costs by using light weight materials.

I traded my 2009 Outlaw for a 2013 Challenger and have bee considering going back. Trailering a bike is not nearly as convenient as loading the garage in the Outlaw. Most Gas powered Class A's are not suited for the addition of a rear mounted carrier so that isn't an option on my Challenger.

I have reservation out at the 2014 Hershey RV show so who knows what I'll be driving next season.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thor Motor Coach (TMC) is the #1 largest motorhome maker in the US, holding the #1 spot for most Class A Gas (ACE), most Class C's (Four Winds/Chateau) and most motorized Toy haulers - made in 5 different factory facilities including the old Monaco plant.

Thor RV is also #1 for overall RV's sold with over 30 other brands of RV in every segment including AirStream, Coleman (yes the lantern brand), Dutchmen, Voltage, Crossroads, Bison, Keystone...etc. See:
Recreational Vehicles - Thor Industries, Inc.

So...It is impossible to measure the company against 1 model AND especially to base any decision on the Citation (Class B Sprinter). Like, a Tuscany DP will provide MUCH better accommodations and material fit and finish compared to a Windsport.
http://thormotorcoach.com/product-lines.php

The Outlaw is a very well built and innovative RV that is the original and most successful Class A Toy Hauler. It is made in 2 models (37LS and 37MD) and over the years, the Outlaw model line has only gotten better with more options to improve it.

The OP mentions the Diesel and Diesel Generator - so that MUST be a comment about the new Outlaw Super C:
http://outlawrv.com/class-c
These are VERY new to the market, but the F550 cab/chassis is an awesome foundation. The Class A is not currently available with a Diesel.

Thor has always done right by me - even though I have a 2007 that is well past warranty - manuals and parts are available.

As with anything, I recommend everyone be a smart shopper and look at what is offered. The only problem is that these RV's are so popular right now, they don't sit on a dealer's lot and are often pre-sold, before delivery.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Orangepeel. Really glad to hear that you are satisfied.
I will look on the Thor forum.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The OP mentions the Diesel and Diesel Generator - so that MUST be a comment about the new Outlaw Super C:
2015 Outlaw Class C Toy Haulers: Class C Motorhomes by Thor Motor Coach
These are VERY new to the market, but the F550 cab/chassis is an awesome foundation. The Class A is not currently available with a Diesel.

Just to elaborate - a diesel class A is not currently available. Over time on this forum I have learned that Thor used to make a front engine diesel version (FRED) and that they were a pretty rare beastie. If one was available when I was looking I would have been tempted to get it rather than a new gas version.

There is one available on consignment now at MHSRV. Even if you are not interested in a Class A you might find it interesting to look at to compare to the current gassers and the super C.

#C1599 - 2009 Damon Outlaw 3612 Toy Hauler W/Slide for sale in Alvarado TX
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
I have read that Thor is becoming one of, if not thee largest MH mfg. in the country. I have looked recently at their Outlaw Toy Hauler and it intrigues me. However last year I looked at the Thor Citation at my local RV dealership and I felt that the quality just
wasn't quite there yet.
Are they improving quality wise? Are there any major issues with owning one of them? I'd like to think that their growth is a direct result of a broad product appeal. Surely other folks are seeing something attractive in their product line.
If we were to purchase the Outlaw Toy Hauler with the Diesel engine & generator that they offer would that be a good choice?
Lastly, do they stand by their customers?
I'll chip in with the rest of the, mostly, Outlaw owners here. Try the Outlaw thread for information of all types, and even check out the mods and upgrades for lots of good, if not great ideas. The new (to me that's 2010 to present) Outlaws are somewhat different than comparing to the older versions, both in price and quality (which sometimes varied widely). And being the owner (until it's sold ) of a 2009 FRED I have a limited point of view.

Having said that, I purposely looked for the diesel, and with the hard to find 3612 floor plan. But my situation was unique from what I've since learned on the owners forum. I've never once regretted the decision. The freightliner frame allowed for more cargo, the floor plan allowed for greater flexibility, and the Maint and upkeep has been realistically minor compared to what I expected to get with the comparable gas model...but, that's my opinion.

In the four years of ownership I had one issue which required factory work, a problem with the sub sealant on the roof edges. Thor never balked at doing the work and I elected to have it done at the factory in Elkhart while traveling. It was an eye opening and educational experience and I came away from it with a better sense of confidence in the product in general, and the quality of the work specifically. That's not to say, let me repeat, not to say that things don't slip through quality control and you shouldn't expect to experience minor issues here and there. That happens everywhere.

I recently elected to sell my Outlaw and get something a little larger. Not because of dissatisfaction, but simply a lifestyle change. 2 weeks into it siting on the lot at MHSRV in Alvarado has made me revisit the wisdom of that, but for now that's where I am.

The bottom line to me is that there is no greater Class A at present that affords the flexibility of the Outlaw. Sadly, if you want a diesel, you'll be forced to find one of the rare older versions currently few and far between on the market.

Best of luck in your decision and hopefully you'll join us sometime in the future on the Outlaw Forum.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #8

I have a 2013 Outlaw that I bought new. The quality is commensurate with the price. I had a few problems fixed at the factory. Their warranty support is excellent. We are very happy with our Outlaw.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #9

We have had our 2012 Outlaw for about 2 years now and have put 15000 wonderful miles on it without and major issues - just a few minor ones that I fixed myself. We love it as we get the whole motorhome to use without a bed room being in the way. We like the loft and use the garage as a change room when camping as the cycle is parked under the awning. Now if I could just figure out how to get 15 miles a gallon out of it I would be doing back flips.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:16 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1 View Post
We have had our 2012 Outlaw for about 2 years now and have put 15000 wonderful miles on it without and major issues - just a few minor ones that I fixed myself. We love it as we get the whole motorhome to use without a bed room being in the way. We like the loft and use the garage as a change room when camping as the cycle is parked under the awning. Now if I could just figure out how to get 15 miles a gallon out of it I would be doing back flips.
Glad you are enjoying it and are satisfied. Just what is your mpg?
Old 06-27-2014, 03:22 AM   #11

I have averaged exactly 7.05 doing mostly 63-65 mph for the 15 k miles. About what everyone else gets in a 38 ft coach.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, thor