Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #1

Thor Proprietary Tire/Wheel Size

I have a question about proprietary tire size on 2015 Thor Miramar. We had a flat at an RV park. Called Good Sam folks for help. When I told them the size of the tire - Michelin 235/80R-22.5G, I was told that tire was not in stock at the road service shops, that it was only available at RV dealers. I was told that there was a tire that was available that was a "reasonable and accepted" replacement for the Michelin, but it is just a little bit smaller (I'm sorry, but I don't remember the exact size she told me). I was assured that the replacement tire was common in the industry. I don't question her integrity, but I do question her first hand knowledge. It sounded like she was reciting something off cliff notes.

At any rate, the tire was repaired and I didn't have to buy a new one. But, I'm wondering of the potential downside of running mismatched tires on an RV. After watching another post on IRV2, this is apparently a common problem on Class A motor homes on a Ford chassis.

Any thoughts will be sincerely appreciated.

Chief
Seabee Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
235 is a Michelin only tire. If you go to 245 there are a lot of choices and they don't have the sidewall cracking problem either.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting. I didn't realize it was a Michelin only size. I do know its not proprietary to Thor as that is what my Newmar uses too.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #4

Thor Proprietary Tire/Wheel Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
235 is a Michelin only tire. If you go to 245 there are a lot of choices and they don't have the sidewall cracking problem either.
My question is: if I have an emergency and have to replace one tire in middle of Dewey Screwum & Howe, will the size difference be dangerous? I would hate like hell to have to buy six tires when I only need one.

Chief
Old 01-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 245 tire will be slightly larger, around 1/3 of an inch in width, diameter and aspect (road to rim material). You'll also gain an inch in diameter. Shouldn't be a problem but wouldn't hurt to install the new tire on the front axle.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Old 01-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

The 245x75x22.5 tire IS about 2 tenths of an inch SHORTER than the 235x80. Enough difference you CAN'T run it in a duel setup. I replaced my Michelins with 245x75x22.5 Yokohamas earlier this year. My speedo is really close at 70 mph, according to my GPS. I'd never have another set of Michelins on anything I own.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee Chief View Post
I have a question about proprietary tire size on 2015 Thor Miramar. We had a flat at an RV park. Called Good Sam folks for help. When I told them the size of the tire - Michelin 235/80R-22.5G, I was told that tire was not in stock at the road service shops, that it was only available at RV dealers. I was told that there was a tire that was available that was a "reasonable and accepted" replacement for the Michelin, but it is just a little bit smaller (I'm sorry, but I don't remember the exact size she told me). I was assured that the replacement tire was common in the industry. I don't question her integrity, but I do question her first hand knowledge. It sounded like she was reciting something off cliff notes.

At any rate, the tire was repaired and I didn't have to buy a new one. But, I'm wondering of the potential downside of running mismatched tires on an RV. After watching another post on IRV2, this is apparently a common problem on Class A motor homes on a Ford chassis.

Any thoughts will be sincerely appreciated.

Chief
Then how is it a Thor proprietary issue?

Thor deserves a lot of the bad rap they get about poor engineering and poor workmanship, but this tire issue does not belong to them.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Then how is it a Thor proprietary issue?

Thor deserves a lot of the bad rap they get about poor engineering and poor workmanship, but this tire issue does not belong to them.
tfryman, I may have made a poor attempt at describing my heartburn. I really don't know whose "fault" it is.....Thor, Ford, Camping World.....whoever...but I am absolutely sure it can cause expensive problems.

I want to run the most readily available tire on the market, regardless of size or manufacturer.

Chief
Old 01-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #9

You have to give Michelin the credit. Their marketing was very good in supplying a tire in a size only made by Michelin. They made the deal with Ford, GM, and Workhorse. MOST people will buy the same brand of tire that is on their vehicle when it is time to replace. MOST will NOT shop for tires on price or availability when it's time to replace. You still have many people that rave about Michelin tires, thinking they are still the best, I'm NOT one of them.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #10

We carry a spare (unmounted) for this very reason. Any tire place can mount it if we need it, even the mobile guys. Of course if a wheel is damaged too then all bets are off.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
We carry a spare (unmounted) for this very reason. Any tire place can mount it if we need it, even the mobile guys. Of course if a wheel is damaged too then all bets are off.
Me Too !!! that way I can have a mobile tire guy change it and I am on my way .... I can pick up another tire when I get home .......
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 AM   #12

I have the exact same tires on my Miramar, when it comes time to change them out..will be going with the 245/75's. I hope to not lose one (235's) and have to replace it before hand.
stvdman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor