Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Thor RUV Question

We are looking closely at the Thor RUV line. From what I understand Thor makes two separate lines of RUVs - the Axis model and the Vegas model. At first glance it appears that they are almost exactly the same - hopefully some of the forum members on here can tell me the difference between them.

Our son plays soccer year round, both in high school and for a club so we are constantly on the road to games, tournaments, or training camps. We would like to find something that we could throw everything into (mom, dad, son, and two Miniature Schnauzers) and head out to the events.

Some events will be just for the day and the coach will serve as our base of operations. Tournaments might last for two or three days and we would be staying overnight in the coach which would save on motel bills - and kennel bills for the dogs if we had to leave them at home. I understand the Thor RUVs have a generator so we could leave the AC running for the dogs while we were out of the coach.

Back in 2005 we had a new Fleetwood Discovery DP that we kept for three years. We're familiar with RVs but not with anything like these RUV models. They seem perfect for what our needs are right now so I would appreciate any feedback from owners that have these models. Let me know the pros and cons of how these coaches would match up with what we're looking for.

If there are quality issues with these coaches, problems with the engine or chassis, please let me know that too. Can the standard AC keep the coach cool in 100 degree + Texas temps or would we need to upgrade to a bigger unit? How about towing a vehicle - can the frame and engine handle a toad, and if so what size? How about the generator - does it run off of propane or gasoline - what are the service intervals? Anything that you can share would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.
Texas Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

The Vegas and Axis ARE duplicate lines for floor plan and chassis.
The differences are in the front cap design, colors, and interior fabrics.

It is noteworthy that these RV's are built on a chassis that is NOT used by any other maker that I know of. It is a stripped Ford E-Series (not the F53 like all other gas Class A's). It has V10 power like the E450, and an independent front suspension vs. the I-Beam in the F53 for a much better ride.

The Chassis can tow as well as any Class C on the Ford E-Series cab chassis...8,000lb receiver is standard. Actual towable weight depends on how you load the RV (up to 22,000GCWR for all floor plans, except the smaller 24.1 at 18,000lb).

The AirCon is 1 roof unit and the dash air. Should work with no issues in 100degree heat.

The generator is a gas powered unit that pulls fuel from the main tank...very easy to use.

Service is exactly like a V10 pick-up...and inexpensive.

These RV's are VERY innovative and have few, if any competition (Winnie Via is close but Diesel powered and much more $$).
Pick the floor plan you like and take a test drive. I think you will like what you find.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #3

The Thor Axis and Vegas are sister units with only cosmetic differences to set them apart. I would classify Thor's RUV as a compact class A. I have test driven the Axis and found it to be a nice vehicle, easy to drive and maneuver. Several different floor plans to choose from, well laid out, lots of nice features in a smaller size of class A.

Based on what you have stated I think you would be very happy with an RUV,
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor