RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

Thor Tuscany Power Question

We have a Thor Tuscany 40GQ. When we are hooked to shore power, (50 amps) we can only run one ac and only shows 30 amps. But if generator is running, it sees 66 amps and no problem with 2 two ac. Is anyone else seeing this too?

Diane and Jackie new members

Deanza11350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club

How do you KNOW your hooked to a working 50amp outlet?

Old 09-09-2015, 03:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Diane & Jackie! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

It sounds like you are only getting 30 amps from the shore power connection instead of 50. You should have a meter that shows what shore power you are connected to.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #6

Had a tech person verify 50 amps, and also hooked up to neighbors power to check. Tech said the smart power control center will not allow any more than 30 amps.
Deanza11350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #7

Hope you get your issue resolved ...
Maybe give Thor a call ... maybe they can help ...

hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have a transfer switch between your 50 amp cord and your control center. Check for 240 volts across transfer switch.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Scroll through the options on your power center display and verify it is set up to accept 50a. Seems like mine has options for 20, 30 and 50a but I may be mistaken for something else. I'll look tonight when I will be in the RV doing some cleaning.

When I'm plugged in, mine will show the voltage on both legs of the shore power cord. It has no way of knowing the current capacity just the voltage, so you have to tell it to power up what systems based upon your shore power connection. If it thinks you only have a 30a connection, it will only allow so many devices to be used.

And welcome to the board, it's good to see another Tuscany owner.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok you have an energy manager which checks the incoming power and says it is 30 amp even if you are plugged into a 50 amp outlet somewhere.

Suspect #1 is the outlet.. A proper 50 amp outlet is wired like this

L1-120 v-N-120v-L2
L1----240 v----L2

You can check this with a voltmeter if the prongs are long enough just measure from the center blade (of the 3 flat blades) to each side, Should show 120 volt.. And then side to side, 240 (NOTE voltages are approximate, you can be five volts either side, even a blt lower)

The Manager looks for that 240 volts, If it does not see it it ASSUMES 30 amp. Since on 30 amp instead of L-1 and L-2 you have L-1a and L-1b (both legs are identical).

If the park wired cheap and just fed both legs off the same wire when they "Upgraded" to 50 amps. Your Manager will assume 30.. note also that wiring this way is a fire hazard. but parks still do it.

Suspect #2 is the energy manager. A blown fuse can cause that problem. So can system failure.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
This video should help, though he makes an error and corrects himself.

Youtube

Old 09-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #12

Not sure if this will help or not but we own a Thor Tuscany also and experienced an issue with shore power and generator power also.

I was only getting one AC to work and my power center indicated I was on inverter. I determined that only 1/2 the coach was on inverter and the other half was on shore power. That explained why the AC in front worked and the rear didn't. But when we fired up the generator everything worked an was no longer inverting.

I opened the transfer switch and low and behold one of the shore power leaders inside the switch had come loose and was no longer making contact. Reinserted and torqued the set screw and everything works.

I now make it a habit to check all connections at the rear of the coach due to high vibration monthly.

Again, not quit the same but it may help.
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
i experienced same problem thi.s weekend at Yellow jacket on the Suwannee River. The solution was to throw breaker on and off as ants had gotten into breaker. I did have power but only one leg as proven by surge protectors power lite indicators.
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinichuck View Post
Not sure if this will help or not but we own a Thor Tuscany also and experienced an issue with shore power and generator power also.

I was only getting one AC to work and my power center indicated I was on inverter. I determined that only 1/2 the coach was on inverter and the other half was on shore power. That explained why the AC in front worked and the rear didn't. But when we fired up the generator everything worked an was no longer inverting.

I opened the transfer switch and low and behold one of the shore power leaders inside the switch had come loose and was no longer making contact. Reinserted and torqued the set screw and everything works.

I now make it a habit to check all connections at the rear of the coach due to high vibration monthly.

Again, not quit the same but it may help.
I have found a couple of set screws on the grounding bars (located behind the circuit breaker panel cover) to be loose and caused some electrical issues, blown fuses, due to making poor contact. This is a high vibration area, engine and the tail end of the coach, so I periodically check the torque on these screws.

TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote