Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2022, 02:57 PM   #1

Thor Vegas drivers seat location

Does anyone have a drivers seat that is off centre from the steering wheel? I find it odd that it is offset to the right. I'm considering on relocating it and looks like it's only held down by 4 bolts into the floor.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2022, 12:06 PM   #2

I had the same issue on my Newmar , seat offset to left ; I suspect to clear the slide flange , when seat fully moved back . The seat will now just touch the flange , but I don't need it that far back .

Rather than re-drill the floor and re-enforce under the coach , I was able to redrill the pedestal and use the existing holes in the floor .

My shoulders are much happier .

EDIT: Another possibility is clearance to rotate the seat to face the living area when parked ; measure carefully before you begin .
Old 09-20-2022, 12:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
My Winnebago Vista Lx is off to the right a little bit. Both my cars are so I'm use to it. Now I have to go check my Jeep, I hadn't noticed if it's off or not.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:01 PM   #4

"Rather than re-drill the floor and re-enforce under the coach , I was able to redrill the pedestal and use the existing holes in the floor."

Good to know!

"Another possibility is clearance to rotate the seat to face the living area when parked ; measure carefully before you begin."

Another fine suggestion. I finally figured out the seat. To rotate, the armrest JUST clears the steering wheel if the seat is folded tight. Actually rubs a bit. I found the seat doesn't slide away from the steering wheel enough to allow the seat to recline and your legs dangle from the raised cab floor too. We usually just face each other at the table sideways anyway. The wife sits on the drivers seat because I find it too close to the table and I have more difficulty sliding in and out. I measured the bases to the table floor mount and the drivers seat is closer. By moving the seat more to the left, it would be more centered to the steering wheel and give a little more room between it and the centre table.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #5

Not sure if pictures do justice but you can really notice when I'm sitting behind the wheel. I've driven hundreds of vehicles in my lifetime and I noticed the minute I got behind the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	376986  
Old 09-21-2022, 08:41 PM   #6

Ok ; you may have something that my coach didn't, the ability to re-position the column to the right .
From the picture , it appears the column isn't centered below the instrument cluster .

You'll have to get under the dash and see if the upper mount bolts on the column are slotted to allow loosening and sliding the wheel to the right .

Is the cup holder to the seat's left , on a hinge to fold down ?

Is this coach on an E-450 chassis ? If so moving the seat may not be an option.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Ok ; you may have something that my coach didn't, the ability to re-position the column to the right .
From the picture , it appears the column isn't centered below the instrument cluster .

You'll have to get under the dash and see if the upper mount bolts on the column are slotted to allow loosening and sliding the wheel to the right .

Is the cup holder to the seat's left , on a hinge to fold down ?

Is this coach on an E-450 chassis ? If so moving the seat may not be an option.
I see no play to move the wheel. The column shroud is fit so well with the dash that it wouldn't work anyway.

Cup holder does not fold down.

Yes it's on the E-chassis but the seats are bolted to a sub floor.

I removed the bolts and slid the seat over a good 2-3 inches. Sure feels good and I can see the speedo better too. You can see the base cover would fit nicely too and you'd never notice the difference. I drilled and used lag bolts to hold the seat in place to see if I still have clearance to turn. That checks out ok too.

The only thing that has stopped me now is when I stick my finger in the hole and feel around, it feels like a plastic channnel on both sides of the holes. I don't know if there are cables or anything running through them. Also not sure if I'd change any integrity. I'm not comfortable drilling blind.

Did that once as a teen to mount a CB in my Toyota and ended up drilling through the heater core!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	377078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	377079  

Old 09-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #8

Just went out to sit in my Axis, same as Vegas.

Didn't look or feel like the seat was off center. I can just fit my hand between the cup holder /mirror switch console and the seat cushion.

The fix would be a new bottom plate that fits the holes and welded or bolted with flat head bolts to your original base.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #9

I was able to pull up my schematics from Thor resources. Pretty interesting. It shows the floor under the seats to be 3/8" OSB and under that metal board. I'm assuming between the two is a corrugated plastic support. I believe there would be no wiring running between the two. I will also have to relocate the cubby light underneath a bit because the underside plate hits it if moved. Feeling a little more confident on the subject.

Tags
cat, driver, gas, location, seat, thor