Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #1

To toad or not to toad?

Retiring in March and have been researching and visiting dealers for months, and saw tons at the Hershey RV show. We started out with Class C in mind, but quickly changed our minds once we spent time in some. We are eyeing the ACE 29.2, as the floor plan and "feel" of the coach feel right to us. Our travel style will be exploring each day, landing in a different place each evening, and moving on the next day. We plan to stay on secondary and country roads and see whatever sights there may be as we meander along for a couple of weeks to a few months at a time. Everything from National Parks to Civil War battlefields to one-room schoolhouse museums (like mine from elementary school). The biggest ball of twine, the Field of Dreams, out-of-the-way beach-side parking spots, lobster rolls at the rocky New England coastline, and anything else that catches our attention.

I don't want to pull a toad, and for the way we'll travel I don't think we'll need one. We seriously considered the AXIS, but find it just too cramped - I can't see it working when we are sitting at some campground waiting out a couple of days of steady rain. So it's the ACE 29.2 for us.

My question is whether the ACE 29.2, at a hair under 30 feet, is too long for the kind of traveling we plan. I'd love to hear from other ACE owners about its maneuverability. Have found yourself not able to go where you want because the coach is too cumbersome? Have you been unable to find parking? Had trouble negotiating small towns?

I welcome any information or advice you may have. Retirement, here we come!
Cotton Hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 07:21 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toad
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #3

When we first started out traveling we did what you are thinking. We had a 31' class C. It worked out well. Those times we wanted to stay for an extend time we rented a car. Sometimes, we used taxi service. 30' fits into a lot of parking spaces. You can parallel park even. You can take it into city parking lots ( they usually charge 2x the rate).
It is a hassle hooking and unhooking every day and you may tire of it. Then you can think of a small toad and keep on going.

One thing to think about is that it takes a special couple to live in that small of a space for extended periods. Sometimes you just have to get away and then there is no place to go.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
When we travel we like exploring the "really back roads". For example, last summer we were in Moab Utah. Yes, you can get to all the visitor centers (Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse point), but you aren't going to take that rig onto the unpaved sections of those parks - and you'd be missing a lot.

Some do fine with what I see as the compromises made for not bringing a toad along, perhaps you would too, but I'll bet 6 months in you'll have one.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I once had a 27 foot MH and it got real cozy after an extended stay. I personally would opt for a little longer and a toad. Just my 2 cents worth.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
As Jay stated, the best thing about RVing, is to go out and explore the area you are at, everytime you move. The Jeep JK has worked wonderful for us, there is no place hardly it won't go, and it is not very heavy as far as towing it goes.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personal opinion only !!! I would not even consider full time without a toad. I saw a smart car with a smart car trailer on a forum for 5k. To me that would be a perfect set up for a RV of the size you are going to be full timing in. I personally would not even consider full time in anything under 38-40 foot but that is my thoughts. I don't full time at the present and don't pull a toad. We have been on a few trips and either use UBER or rent a car if its an extended stay at a park. I am going to buy an EZEE tow for my Elantra, because it is not flat towable and I do not want to buy another vehicle just to be able to flat tow.
When and if I go full timing, I will seriously consider a toad that is flat towable and a upgrade to a different coach.

Good luck and safe travels.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't be in such a hurry to move every day. Much cheaper to stay 1 week in a campground. Usually 1 day free for 6 paid.

Then have a Toad to explore N/S/E/W a hundred miles or so from that campground.
Not all places of attractions to see, have parking for a 8'X30' MH. Or easy to get into and out of with one.

Then next week move another 200 miles or so and do the same again.
Remember you are retired not on a vacation and need to cover a lot of ground fast.

After a while you will get tired of that every day moving and will stay for a month in a area for even cheaper campground rates. Then a toad will be real handy.
If your MH happens to break down somewhere, then with a toad handy things will be much better.

Remember travel North summer and South winter.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
toad
toad. Toad.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #10

Thanks all for the feedback. We may end up with a toad, but I'm leaning towards no toad for the first few 1-2 week adventures and see how it goes.

Thanks PCurt and Stuhly for the cozy quarters warnings. DW and I did two 3-week motorcycle trips, first to Key West and then to Idaho, plus a bunch of shorter 1-week trips. Doesn't get much more cozy than that, and this time around we'll be drier!
Cotton Hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #11

BTDT. Moving every day gets old fast. Not having a towed means you miss a lot of places because getting there is too much of a hassle assuming it can be done.

30 ft is the short end of doable. The problem is not what happens when you are driving. It is what happens when the weather is crap so you do not want to drive in it and you do not want to go out in it. That is when things get really "close".
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Toad! Don't leave home without one!!
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
From our experience - a little longer is a little better. Also in our experience, a toad is simply a necessity for enjoying the journey as the destination.

We have been traveling about 7 months or more a year for the last 6 years. Picked up the RV almost 2 years ago. First Class A was 35' with a toad, then stepped up to our 38' unit. In my experience it isn't the length that is a potential issue - it is the height especially around tree shrouded roads. I've added some long scrub marks that I've been able to rub out for the most part but not traveling those trails was not an option. So I rub and rub.

We have traveled 21000 miles in our coaches in the last 18 months - so we move on a lot. But I gotta say - sometimes you don't like to hookup and unhook all the time - so we don't. The toad really facilitates mobility in those cases. Sometimes we will pull into a campground and not unhook the toad - but it is there if we want it. Unhooking it takes no more time than connecting the sewer connections and/or back flushing.

Some friends have attempted not having a toad - they bought bikes and rode them. Some rented a car as an attempt to not towing. In the end, if our friends do much traveling - the wind up with a toad.

For us - it is not a encumbrance but an enabler.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I agree would not go anywhere without my toad!!!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad