Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Towing your Jeep

I am about to buy all the stuff needed to tow my Jeep JK. I have a quick question for all those that currently do. The aux brake and brake lights are my question. I'm going for a brake buddy or rvi brake because of portability and a Roadmaster xl / and falcon II bar. My jeep (2009) doesn't need to leave the key on for steering also.

So the question or understanding is that the Jeep's brake lights will engage when the aux brake kicks in but then also, if I update to add wiring for brake/turn bulbs, those will illuminate also? I guess the need for either magnetic stick on lights or new bulbs/wiring is for the turn signals and regular lights more than anything? Because the additional brake should trigger the jeeps brake lights too? I guess i'm just looking for confirmation that this will happen.

Any of you running a brake buddy or patriot brake or 'plug in'...do you pull fuses or anything? The only need for that is because of the key on/steering lock, right?

Just confirming from the source...my eyes are bleeding from reading posts.
Thanks all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I explored all the options when I set up my Jeep for towing. I opted to add diodes for the turn signals and tail lights. If you decide to run on the cars lights make sure you have it set up in your connection so that the coach will maintain your car's battery.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I explored all the options when I set up my Jeep for towing. I opted to add diodes for the turn signals and tail lights. If you decide to run on the cars lights make sure you have it set up in your connection so that the coach will maintain your car's battery.
thanks. I have no intention of 'running' the car lights. Why would one do that? i was hoping to make the lighting easy. I'll probably add bulbs and just run the plug to the front or go with extra lights stick on. I'm just trying to figure out how to expect the extra lights to work with the 'braking of the jeep via the aux brake'.

thanks!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

I bought the mopar wiring harness. Everything works as it should. The harness is a pain to get into the tight space up behind the glove box but once there it ain't going anywhere.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2005 Jeep GC. I just added the light bulbs into each of the rear light assemblies and ran the wires all the way to the front of the Jeep and hooked up the female 6 pin connector. Seemed like the easiest thing to do and fairly cheap.

The brake lights activate when I press my coach air brakes which supplies air to the Brakemaster brake. I also added the brake indicator light in the coach showing that the brakes are working. Glad I did this as there were a couple times when I didn't have the airline properly attached and it popped off.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

Great thanks...so the aux brake makes both the jeep brakes lights kick on but also the additional bulbs you added? Then when off you only get the running lights on for the bulbs added. I think that is going to be what I do.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
thanks. I have no intention of 'running' the car lights. Why would one do that?....thanks!
So that you don't have any extra lights to setup or take down.

You simply plug in your Jeep to the motorhome, and everything works.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
I am about to buy all the stuff needed to tow my Jeep JK. I have a quick question for all those that currently do. The aux brake and brake lights are my question. I'm going for a brake buddy or rvi brake because of portability and a Roadmaster xl / and falcon II bar. My jeep (2009) doesn't need to leave the key on for steering also.

So the question or understanding is that the Jeep's brake lights will engage when the aux brake kicks in but then also, if I update to add wiring for brake/turn bulbs, those will illuminate also? I guess the need for either magnetic stick on lights or new bulbs/wiring is for the turn signals and regular lights more than anything? Because the additional brake should trigger the jeeps brake lights too? I guess i'm just looking for confirmation that this will happen.

Any of you running a brake buddy or patriot brake or 'plug in'...do you pull fuses or anything? The only need for that is because of the key on/steering lock, right?

Just confirming from the source...my eyes are bleeding from reading posts.
Thanks all.
Hey jtseltmann - I have an ACE 30.2 and tow my '08 JK. Done this for about 3k miles through arizona and nevada. I have a patriot braking system. I chose it because it was the easiest to install and run (my opinion based on my research). It is easy to hook up and go. Once i hookup my jeep to the RV with a tow bar (I have a Demco) and connect the lights it takes me about 3 minutes to put the brake system in car, calibrate it with a push of a button, plug in the remote monitoring system in the RV and off I go.

Here is how I did this: I purchased a Demco tow bar (Commander | Demco Products) and the appropriate base plate for my Jeep JK (Baseplates | Demco Products). I installed this myself and was by far the hardest part. There are some mechanical skill sets needed to install the base plate. A lot of people install the base plates themselves but I am sure any local RV place will do this. The next thing I had to do was install a wire harness. This was easy especially if you have a Jeep. Your '09 JK comes set up to install the wire harness. Harness looks like this and you can get one here (Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring for 2008 Jeep Wrangl - Curt C55124). The harness installation was a breeze. No bulbs or diods to install. Just unscrew the taillight assembly plug in the harness, zip tie a wire under your frame to the other taillight and plug into other taillight and zip tie wire to the front of Jeep. Once I had the tow bar purchased, base plate installed, wire harness installed I got the Patriot brake system.

To install the brake system I has to put a piece of velcro on my dash to mount the brake system RV monitoring system.

My ACE 30.2 came pre-wired so that i connect the wire Harness i stalled from the Jeep to the ACE (my wire is right next to the trailer hitch). When i apply brakes or turn signals from the RV my Jeep lights up as well.

Jeep JK's are really easy to tow. Mine is a 4x4. I put car in N, disengage the transmission by putting the 4 wheel drive control in N as well. Start the engine, put car in park and turn off engine. Then I turn the ignition half way without cranking engine and away I go.

The points I like the best:
- Jeeps are made to tow and to connect tow harness
- Patriot system is a fast and easy to set up each time i want to use it. I store it in the back of my RV and it takes minutes to set up each time I want to use it.
- Patriot has a monitoring system you plug into the lighter in your RV cab. you can set the strength of the braking system from this monitoring system while you are driving. If the terrain goes from flat interstate to hills you can increase the gain which will cause the patriot to brake harder when the brakes engage.
- I did not have to modify my jeep in any way. No lights, bulbs, magnetic sticks - nothing. Just install the wire harness as described above.
- I purchased patriot second hand from a local retiree who quite traveling and was selling off his RV items after trading his RV for a house in Arizona

Hope this helps.
joelee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
joelee2: Help me understand, how do you tie in the right side brake light assembly? The kit that you used is for adding a trailer hitch harness to the Jeep. etrailer does have kits that have the 2 seperate connectors for both rear tail lights for a "towed" vehicle. Thanks
Old 03-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #10

T Gibson: here is the exact link to the wire harness for the jeep. I went back and looked at my receipt to find the exact product and retailer. (TrailerMate Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles TrailerMate Tow Bar Wiring TM781124) There is a video showing the installation and several Q and A's that are helpful.

Sorry the link in my last post was incorrect.

It really is an easy install.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #11

Thanks I appreciate the write up. Im going separate lights in the housing so as not to have the jeep override issue or fuse pulling. This is a great forum. All parts in order except the brake. Can't decide. Patriot or RVI brake. Elec vs air.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelee2 View Post
T Gibson: here is the exact link to the wire harness for the jeep. I went back and looked at my receipt to find the exact product and retailer. (TrailerMate Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles TrailerMate Tow Bar Wiring TM781124) There is a video showing the installation and several Q and A's that are helpful.

Sorry the link in my last post was incorrect.

It really is an easy install.

Don't you have to pull a fuse though when using jeeps lights? Brake overrides turn signal?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our '97 GC I used the RoadMaster Diode setup, did it again on the '05 Ody. Never had a problem with either one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Don't you have to pull a fuse though when using jeeps lights? Brake overrides turn signal?

In my 2008 Jeep JK 4 door, I do not have to pull fuses. I only had to install the wire harness. Read the info section (TrailerMate Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles TrailerMate Tow Bar Wiring TM781124) of this product listing on internet.
  • Lets you connect your RV's tail, brake and turn signal lights to your towed vehicle's lighting system
    • Provides 4-way flat plug at front of towed car to connect to motor home
  • Plugs in quickly and easily - no cutting or splicing of wires
    • Connection points are located behind your vehicle's tail lights
  • Helps prevent damage to towed car's electrical components caused by electrical feedback
    • Built-in diodes safeguard car's wiring
  • Won't interfere with electrical system when towed car is not hooked up to RV
I am not knowledgeable about the set up for other vehicles. It has worked great, no problems for my Jeep and my ACE 30.2

Tags
tow, towing