RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #1

Tuscany recommendation

Iím thinking about buying a diesel class A 2014-19 Tuscany. Please donít respond by trying to sell yours, I will not respond. I just want to know if they are a good choice concerning problems. I realize all motor homes will have issues, but Iíve read some reviews about Tuscany that werenít very favorable. I really like the way they look and the amenities they offer and Iíd like to buy one, but am hesitant due to the reviews. How is yours? Would you buy another one?

Classy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #2

We have a Tuscany 42GX which happened to be the choice floor plan with the factory features that fit the most checked boxes for the 30 or so coaches we looked at

We made out a spread sheet with our 20 top items we wanted after having owned RV's for over 50 years. The Tuscany was the only one that came close without finding a coach with multiple factory options already installed

Being a cash buyer with a 500,000 or so budget we looked at some very nice coaches

Purchased it new at MHSRV and have had it 5 years A few problems that were all due to a couple lazy or employees that wanted to get back at Thor. Kinked hoses were the primary problem. If you are buying as second owner all little things like that should be fixed

If you go over all the features that are standard on the Tuscany you will see you have to go well over 100K in SOB to get close to the same list that is often optional in other brands

We have had our across the Country and in the Mountains over 30 times already with multiple trips per year and boondocking as well. Not one single issue on all the trips and we typically travel spring and fall but have have been in hot weather several times requiring all three AC units during the day

Trojan T105 AGM's has been the only upgrade needed and that was so we could boondock while at the National Parks in cooler temps

If you read the forums closely you will find they have idiots working for all the Coach builders and QA if not any of their strong suite unless your budget is a million or higher

The full body paint is very well done and is on par with much higher priced coaches with the only exception they don't paint the slide ends

Doing it over again there is no doubt the Thor Tuscany would be the one we compared the SOB's against

Our plan is to keep the 2016 until it is about 10 then purchase a new coach

Many of the whiners on the forums are just that

We did have an issue with the Aqua-Hot and when in the shop to get a faulty OEM coil replaced we were the only Thor in a very large repair facility. I found that quite interesting to se all the bays filled with some very high end coaches with various problems

Bottom line go look for your self and don't pay any attention to the WB's

Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I must admit I will never buy another thor product since I had to sue them... but that's just me and I now must limit my coach choices sicne they own most brands :(
Old 04-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #4

Thank you very much for your great review!
Old 04-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #5

I own since new a 2015 Tuscany 40KQ. I had my share of problems initially but after spending a week at the factory to take care of those problems it has settled in with some minor problems here and there. This was mostly due to 3rd party equipment that you will find in other brands as well.
I would look for a 2016 or newer model since they have hydraulically operated slides again which is a more robust construction in my opinion. Basically I am happy with the coach and agree with the previous assesments.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:41 AM   #6

Thank you! I value your response. I didn’t know that about the 2016 models. That’s great advice!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #7

Having had 5th wheels with hydraulic slides, that was one of the boxes that had to be checked

Storage was another as was a large awning or two and again the Tuscany checked that along with the awning lights and keyless entry and keyless start.

We physically looked at 30 plus and on line looked at another 50 or so

None of the coaches are without problems and some just have more

Thor makes a very large amount of entry and mid level coaches so you are going to see more about them

Many coach manufacturers actual produce limited runs so you don't see much about them on forums unless you go to their specific site

Prior care is important in purchasing on the secondary market however as you probably already know the power train is 5 year warranty period so that will take some worry away if you stay in that year range

Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy
Old 04-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #8

Our T42 has the same floorplan as the 42GX mentioned earlier. The only issue with this floorplan is that Thor stopped making it. I'm attaching a link to a thread I started when we first bought the Venetian. It should provide an insight into anyone considering a Thor Diesel.
Yes I would but another one.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/201...ce-362546.html
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:27 AM   #9

Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:59 AM   #10

Wow, I really enjoyed reading your posts that you directed me to. Thanks so much for all your input. It’s comforting to know that the issues you experienced are not major ones. The little experience I have owning a coach leads me to believe that small issues will be encountered in all of them.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Our T42 has the same floorplan as the 42GX mentioned earlier. The only issue with this floorplan is that Thor stopped making it. I'm attaching a link to a thread I started when we first bought the Venetian. It should provide an insight into anyone considering a Thor Diesel.
Yes I would but another one.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/201...ce-362546.html
We typically travel with just the Westie so for two people that floor plan just checked all the boxes.

It has everything but yet room to live and move around when you need to stay inside for a time.

I am really surprised they dropped that particular floor plan

Over the years on the forums there have been several that posted their wants and it was always surprising how many were met by that floor plan but they were never considered
Old 05-03-2020, 03:07 PM   #12

I bought a 2017 Tuscany XTE 40AX (8k miles on it) last year and have been very happy with it. Only had a few minor issues with the Cummins diesel though they were easily fixed by Cummins under the Cummins warranty. There have also been some really minor QC issues that I have had fixed though nothing of significance. I've driven 13k miles in the past nine months (CA to Key West, to Maine, then KY and onto Palm Springs) and it was a pleasure. Overall, I have had no complaints, it's been a great rig.
KPSFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:23 AM   #13

Thanks. It’s nice to hear from someone who is having a good experience. It’s easy for a first time buyer of a certain brand coach to get depressed reading negative comments. Thanks for sharing your positive experience.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #14

Does anyone know where to find the "R" values for the walls, roof, and floors in the Tuscany. Other manufactures like Newmar like to brag about their insulation, but I can't find Thor's anywhere.

jgperegrine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tuscany