Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

Tuscany XTE

We have a new home - a Tuscany XTE. I really like the way it rides, the power, and the living area. Interestingly, I can't find out much about it on this forum or from Thor. We have hit one item that has kept it in the shop - a cabinet that looked OK from the outside was pretty much toast on the inside. Thor thought it could be repaired, but our dealer held out for a replacement and Thor approved. But that's been about it. Three of the things on our punch list turned out to be owner error and/or lack of documentation - which seems to be a common theme.

Have put about 1,200 miles on it so far, but we're really enjoying the limited time we've had with it to date. Spectacularly easy to live in. Residential fridge (not sure how any boondocking will go), huge bed with space for the poodle and us, and a really neat living area up front. Good kitchen space as well. A definite step up from what we had previously. Interestingly, we're getting about 9MPG from this big, heavy unit where our Serrano got about 10MPG at the same speeds. So no sure we really gave up much there - just some maneuverability. But gained a lot nicer ride and comfort. Although I'll admit that 12'9" of height has sure made me nervous a couple of times.

I'm open to any advice on big 40' rigs, parking, handling, backing - whatever you got. Here's a first question: When setting up, do you leave the air in the suspension or drop it before firing up the levelers?
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
not real sure about the xte, this year they added a tuscany with a tag axle so its just their way to delineate between the tag and non tag

but our tuscany 4056 gets 7.9-8.9 with the toad at 65
parking is what it is...its 40 feet so it will only fit in so many places, however mine turns very sharp for a rig this long

if your getting 9 mpg your doing very well
I would recheck your math though after a few more tankfuls and up to the neck refills on fuel

ours always after the first click off can squeeze in another 10-12 gallons
isb imo is really up against a wall pushing a 32k coach. nothing replaces tq
the isc imo is just ample and does a very good job for the tuscany we have...isx would have made it sweeter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 037.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	20554  
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Wow! It's intersting that the XTE is offered in the same floorplan as our Astoria...36MQ. I'd imagine the differences are cosmetic. In comparin the Tuscany to the Astoria at purchase time. The only exterior thing I noticed was a little extra chrome trim. In the limited drive time I have in the Astoria, I feel it's a little easier to drive than our previous coach. Mirror placement seems a little better as I can see the rear wheels track around a corner. Use a spotter whenever possible when parking. I took Power Boaters lead on another thread regarding dumping the bags. It's supposed to be automatic, but the coach doesn't look that low when parked with the jacks deployed. I see some coaches with the bags dumped & you can barely see the top of the tires. Mine almost looks like it's at ride height.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the bags....yep manually dump em when your ready to level
it makes that first step up from the ground that much easier
we also have a stout wooden step i can deploy if the site is off enough to make us nose high so to speak, anything over 10" is to high for the first step to be comfy for me
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #5

Mileage

BTW, I don't have to calculate the mileage! The new Freightliner chassis has a computer readout that is amazing. Instant mileage, this day mileage, this trip mileage, lifetime mileage, setup checklist (customizable), teardown checklist (customizable) and all kinds of other stuff I've not figured out yet.

Just got it back from first warranty round (hopefully the last) and everything is looking pretty good. First camping trip this weekend. Cross your fingers.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Hey! Nice! I'm glad first (& last) warranty round went well. That dash readout is pretty cool. I haven't had much of a chance to learn it yet either. Good luck on your first trip. Off to the Fla Keys for us later this week.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #7

did you trade in the serrano or sell privately
Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #8

On the Serrano - we traded it and they gave us about what I expected, given the price on the Tuscany. I could have gotten slightly more by selling it, but I think we would have lost any advantage on having to pay the full sales tax load. The sales tax was an eye opener anyway. The DMV clerk said it was the largest check she'd ever taken.

On the shakedown: Sitting in a campground at the Royal Gorge in Canon City in Colorado with everything working really fine. I've rearranged the basement (everything was just thrown in there), gone over all the woodwork, tried all the appliances (including the washer and dryer) and so far great.

Here's what I can't figure out: Both the quality and the customer service on the Serrano was pretty bad. On this unit, also built by Thor, I have had very few complaints and Thor has gotten hold of me a few times already to see how things are going. Everything in this unit fits and works. But it is the same company. What gives?

The only thing I don't care for is the cantilevered table. I don't trust it and it runs downhill. I made a leg for it, but didn't take into account how much the height drops with the slide out. At least the leg is too long, so I can cut it down and try again when we get home (didn't bring a saw - stupid!).

And I must say the living space in this unit is the best thought out of any I've ever been in - from any brand.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #9

Good luck with the new rig!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #10

car trailer towing

Please advise the pros and cons of using a car trailer instead of a flat tow. What do you suggest is a better way to go, I will be towing with a Tuscany xte 37 ft motorcoach. What trailer you recommend, the cost, and do I need to add any cabling for lights, brakes, etc.

I want to make sure when I enter Canada, i meet all their towing requirements, i know they have very strict towing laws.

Thanks
kubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #11

I have read so many postings on voltage controlers and EMS's with the do's and dont's ...... that I'm really frustrated! Can someone please explain what sequence to have these CORRECTLY installed ? If you put the EMS first and it shuts down the shorepower, then how is the voltage controler supposed to work ?? If you put the voltage controler first.... what protects it from being "spiked or surged" ?? Also, where is the best/cheapest dealer for these ?
friday is offline   Reply With Quote