RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #1

Tv's will only work on invertor

plugged into 30 amp power. Attempted to run a portable heater in the garage while using the microwave and furnace is running. Blew the GFCI , reset it but plugged into shore power and now GFCI plugs ( tv's )will only work when using the inventor....... any suggestions

Alaskabev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #2

Did you check the breakers in the house? You have exceded the breakers capacity with too much demand.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #3

Yes we checked the GFCI breakers , they're good.. Can't seem to find where all the fuses are located .any ideas . Notice shore power cord blue lights are not working when plugged in.????
Old 09-21-2015, 03:05 AM   #4

Properly functioning GFCI breakers do not trip from a circuit overload. They only trip when the current differs between the hot and neutral line by a few milliamps. A tripped properly working CFGI means current leaked to ground - NOT CIRCUIT OVERLOAD. If your plugs only work off the inverter and not from external power, as stated in post 2 - it appears that you lost external power. Need to trace that source.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #5

Seems interesting though that when we are plugged In to the 30 amp we can run the microwave ,which won't ever run on invertor so we do have external power , correct .????. Just the tv's that won't run on the 30 amp power--- only the invertor which is what it was intended for ..
Old 09-22-2015, 04:35 AM   #6

Alaskabev

Is your dedicated TV inverter auto sensing? Meaning, when AC power is present, it will draw power from the AC source and not your battery by activating a relay. (This would likely be an internal relay in the inverter - but perhaps not if it is an inexpensive one) In my Class A's, the inverter ran the microwave. As noted in a previous post. You need to trace the power source. Have a look at ALL breakers & switches and use a voltmeter or even a lamp to test every outlet. Good luck. You have a 120Vac power source problem somewhere.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THre is a posibility of a 2nd breaker box feeding TV and GFCI.. IF you have an "inline" type inverter.. This may be part of the inverter itself.

A second posibility I once plugged a heater into MY GFCI chain (never again) and burned out a connection in my In-Line inverter connection panel.. Repaired (Like in 2007) and it's still working today. (When I fix a bad connection I FIX!!! a bad connection.. Stranded to solid copper via wire nut is not the world's best connection)
Old 09-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #8

Alaskabev

Would you share the manufactures name and model number for your inverter with us. We could determine if it has an internal "transfer switch". In units that auto sense and select the appropriate power source, there is always a Transfer switch. It can be internal or external but it must exist for the power source to automatically switch over.

Perhaps yours never switches and relies on the battery source at all times. You then need a charged battery to keep things running. This does work and some stand alone low power inverters are configured this way wherein the inverter is always in the circuit. This method does use more energy overall.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskabev View Post
plugged into 30 amp power. Attempted to run a portable heater in the garage while using the microwave and furnace is running. Blew the GFCI , reset it but plugged into shore power and now GFCI plugs ( tv's )will only work when using the inventor....... any suggestions
We had this happen in our 2010 Serrano 31Z. We had the coach plugged up to our house connector (we had installed), but I didn't have the surge protector plugged in . I came out, and found the microwave was toast, and the receptacles wired through the inverter would only work with the inverter turned on now. Before, the internal switch in the inverter transferred the power from external source.

Turns out a surge had hit our coach strong enough to mess up a few things. The inverter worked in general, but the internal transfer switch no longer worked. We had to replace the inverter (got a new one from best converter), and the microwave. BIG, expensive lesson learned. ALWAYS use the surge protector, and unplug anything not in use.

bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote