Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2022, 09:45 PM   #15

Just wanted to give the thumbs up 👍 to 5 Star Tune. We have the 2017 V-10 on a 18k chassis towing a ‘21 Jeep Cherokee and purchased it last year. I love it. If your looking for increased fuel economy I don’t think you this is going to be helpful. It’s not the purpose of the 5 Star Tune. It changes the shift points and creates a much smoother drive RPM wise and mountain areas. It also keeps warranties from Ford intact.

If you want better mileage I’m afraid it’s weight and/or speed alteration that makes the biggest difference. Tires and tire pressure, shocks and steering etc come after.
IMHO: fuel mileage isn’t why you bought the RV. Fuel prices do effect where you can afford to go. Try finding a few places closer to help offset the fuel cost and save your wallet a lot of trouble.

Enjoy the RV!
b.mccoy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2022, 03:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Increased performance and better fuel economy are two opposites. To get more power from the engine and better performance, it takes more fuel and air. By improving air flow and reducing any restrictions, you can make a marginal improvement if efficiency on an engine. The manufacturers have pretty much balanced the engine for the best performance and fuel economy with the emission standards enforced on them.

The best thing to get better fuel economy is slow down. We have found that generally we keep the speed to no more than 62 to 65 mph.

Ken
Excellent reply to the question; a Ford V-10, or any comparable engine in an RV, towing a dinghy is simply not going to get gas mileage of 15-20 mpg. Speed is a factor, the general consensus is 65 mph max cruising speed, slower if traffic and schedule permits. After all, you ARE in an RV to discover America, slow down and savor the journey
Chewbacca57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:44 PM   #17

It does not sound like any of you guys tried cold air intake, mds high output coil on spark plugs, iridium spark plugs, high flow throttle body, intake spacers. and like flowmaster muffler. Let me know if anyone has tried this kind of modifications to increase mpg on your ford V10.
1Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:19 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hurricane View Post
It does not sound like any of you guys tried cold air intake, mds high output coil on spark plugs, iridium spark plugs, high flow throttle body, intake spacers. and like flowmaster muffler. Let me know if anyone has tried this kind of modifications to increase mpg on your ford V10.
Those all sound like something you could do as a DIY project.
Skip the TB spacer though.
I'll catch a lot of crap for this, but have you considered swapping the ring and pinion for a lower #? I did on our '07 Jayco Seneca class C because the inner pinion bearing went out, so we had to pull it anyway. I just had the shop go 2 numbers down. That old Duramax LBZ never knew the difference. Speedo was 6 MPH under actual, and I kind of had to watch it in town. Took a bit more math to calculate milage, but it went up with the same driving habits.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:00 AM   #19

Quote:

If you do some or all of these modifications, I recommend doing them one at a time. That way you can evaluate the result more clearly. Look forward to your posts on what you find.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:42 AM   #20

Quote:
All the things you mention effect engine performance to some small extent and are capable of increasing horsepower at wide open throttle. What you are asking is to get more energy per unit of gasoline at part throttle. To do that you need more compression ratio, better fuel atomization, more tumble and swirl in the combustion chamber, smaller cubic engine engine, so the engine would have less throttling loss. I would recommend a Cummins BT4 (3.9 L) with a large after market turbocharger. 350 hp @ 2,250 rpm and 460 ftlbs of torque at 1,800 rpm s available after marker from several sources. Just make sure you get a later model with the Bosh P7100 fuel injection pump. The engine efficiency improvement and the more energy per pound of diesel fuel as compaired to gasoilone should give a 40 to 50% improvement in fuel mileage.
Jim K. who is my neighbor at the RV parking area and lives in the Village drives a Entergra Cornorstone. According to him he gets 8.0 to 8.4 mpg at a 70 mph cruising speed and that with a 53,000 lb coach and a Cummins X15 engine
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
As an FYI, I have a 2017 37' Class A motorhome Ford V10, pulling a Lincoln MKX. I drive between 63 and 65 mph. I have a fuel tracking app built into my Xite Infotainment/GPS and I bought the RV when new. I track every gallon and mile in the fuel tracking app - 100% of the time. In the 5-years and 45,000 miles my average fuel economy is 6.3mpg.

But this is a raw number and it includes all idling and generator running as well. So, when I'm idling to put out slides and level the coach I'm using the gas and the same goes when running the generator while driving to run A/C on hot days or the very few times we dry camp and we need the generator.

So, likely the mpg would be a little bit higher when those things are removed - maybe 6.5mpg or so.

Oh, and also I have the 5-Star tune and it was installed within the first 1000 miles of buying the RV. I have tested my MPG with and without the "tune" and the MPG is about 0.1 mpg less with the tune installed. The tune mostly improves initial tip in acceleration. I don't notice much difference with or without the tune. Personally, I would not purchase it again knowing what I know now.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
All the things you mention effect engine performance to some small extent and are capable of increasing horsepower at wide open throttle. What you are asking is to get more energy per unit of gasoline at part throttle. To do that you need more compression ratio, better fuel atomization, more tumble and swirl in the combustion chamber, smaller cubic engine engine, so the engine would have less throttling loss. I would recommend a Cummins BT4 (3.9 L) with a large after market turbocharger. 350 hp @ 2,250 rpm and 460 ftlbs of torque at 1,800 rpm s available after marker from several sources. Just make sure you get a later model with the Bosh P7100 fuel injection pump. The engine efficiency improvement and the more energy per pound of diesel fuel as compaired to gasoilone should give a 40 to 50% improvement in fuel mileage.
Jim K. who is my neighbor at the RV parking area and lives in the Village drives a Entergra Cornorstone. According to him he gets 8.0 to 8.4 mpg at a 70 mph cruising speed and that with a 53,000 lb coach and a Cummins X15 engine
Do you know anyone who has done my suggested modifications. and I know about the Banks system. too expensive for the cost of return.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #23

1 hurricane

Well guys, thanks for your responses, I winterized my coach today and parked it for the next 2 to 3 months. I will spend that time searching for aftermarket items to improve my V10 3 valve engine in 2019 Hurricane 34R to get better MPG.Let me know if you all find any new products for upgrades. I will check this forum from time to time.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:22 PM   #24

Did you understand my question? I am not interested in diesel. After market products will produce some outstanding results, been there and done with improvement. response to beau388
Old 12-09-2022, 07:33 PM   #25

I have looked at after market upgrades, there sure is alot to research.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #26

Quote:
What can I do to upgrade performance and get better gas mileage? I am also pulling a Jeep Liberty, at 60, 65 on average getting 6 mpg. I keep hearing about the 5 star turner, I know Banks power system gets some good, but the investment my not be worth the cost for installing it prorating that the savings over the miles I travel per year. Is all that worth it? I would like to get better gas mileage. Thanks for any advice...
For under $500 the 5Star Tuner is the best value to upgrade performance. The Banks tuner is slightly more expensive the difference is negligible.

For just under $1000 you can put together a combo of tuner and the K&N cold air intake from 5Star all easy diy. I won't mess with the exhaust, better to let a shop do that unless you've done it before / have torches, cut off and tools.

They both claim better mpg but I wouldn't do it for that reason
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:33 PM   #27

1 Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
For under $500 the 5Star Tuner is the best value to upgrade performance. The Banks tuner is slightly more expensive the difference is negligible.
igcombo of tuner and the K&N cold air intake from 5Star all easy diy. I won't mess with the exhaust, better to let a shop do that unless you've done it before / have torches, cut off and tools.

I am going to do the cold air intake for sure, THEN look at chip devices more so than tuners...
Old 12-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post

For just under $1000 you can put together a combo of tuner and the K&N cold air intake from 5Star all easy diy. I won't mess with the exhaust, better to let a shop do that unless you've done it before / have torches, cut off and tools.

Assuming you have a restrictive,
hot air intake and replace it with a K& N intake, you are going to increase the usable oxygen in the air at 3/4 throttle and above. At part throttle the engine has all the air it can use. More oxygen means the engines computer will add more fuel to keep the engine at the desired fuel/air ratio.
Unless you have a carburetor instead of sequential fuel injection, putting more air into the engine will result in more power and more fuel usage. In the case of a carburetor, it tends to run rich when the air intake is restricted. Removing the air cleaner and piping in cold air will lean out the engine and result in beater fuel mileage.
With a computer controlled fuel injection engine the computer manages the fuel/air radio regardless of what you do the the intake or exhaust.

Governmental corporate fuel mileage restrictions cause the engine manufacturers to squeeze every hundredth of a mile/gallon out of each tankful of fuel. They even discount the purchase price of high fuel mileage vehicles in order to produce desirable gas guzzlers vehicles and still keep the corporate fuel mileage above the required minimum.
Yes you buy a tuner or chip (in older vehicles) that use different fuel/air ratio tables and different ignition advance tables, but all will give more power and use more fuel and usually get poorer fuel mileage.
Your left foot is the only cheap, readily available device to increase your fuel mileage.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, thor, v10